ms Volendam in Juneau July 28, 2017

Scrapnana

It's amazing. While the cam can zoom in close on the docking at CT they don't seem to get nearly as good a view of the operation as at AS. Maybe the camera angle is a bit different.

Copper, I think that may be the first takeoff of the day which may be why it got covered. Not so much float plane activity in the morning with no big ships in port.

Roy

Is it the building in the center of this picture?2f673945d4a4bc407a9e63cc85aedae6.jpg

Yes, but that is also the U.S. CBP building

Volendam is scheduled for a visit by Juneau (Capital) Fire Dept with an engine co. and a paramedic rig for a medical disembark

Thanks, John! I was trying to think of a tower (like in FLL) but couldn't remember any. Inquiring minds!;)

Copy; I thought perhaps you had a coffee time meet 'n greet with the gentleman without discussing private tours and the likes ;)

Cruise Director Kelly making her arrival announcement which is a No No in Alaska on the outside deck speakers

Too cold and when it's a wet cold - it's even worst. Maybe if we could move the whole state further south??

So much grandeur; a decent parka makes a big difference but that's mostly on the ship. Most port days are pretty warm and there's so much beauty in Alaska and Antarctica that can be beautifully viewed from the comfort of the covered lido pool or the crow's nest.

I remember my first trip to Antarctica. I was on an expedition ship out of Ushuaia and while there were some chilly times that wasn't the worst. The expedition included flights and in the rest day of Santiago I packed up my cold weather gear. When I arrived in Miami and walked between terminals it was 37F.

Roy

Speaking of cutting pollution, how many Alaska ports are equipped with shore power hookups?

Roy

None that I know off and for the Pacific Northwest, only Seattle that I am aware of, You would think Vancouver and/or Victoria would have it, as well as Juneau and Anchorage

Too cold and when it's a wet cold - it's even worst. Maybe if we could move the whole state further south??

I've had some beautiful days in Alaska in mid to late-August. I know watching the Juneau webcam this summer makes a liar out of me but there really can be some sunny days which make your surroundings there even nicer! Going into Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm Fjord and gliding over water as smooth as glass with majestic mountains on both side of you, some still snow capped, waterfalls streaming down them, the many glaciers itself, you name it, just awe inspiring