Cruises during tropical storms

lakada

Tropical storms will usually not effect a sail out, but as stated above anything stronger may. If there is a tropical storm hitting or heading to one of your ports, you may divert to a different port, maybe have a day at sea instead of the port or maybe change the order of your days in port. It's all going to depend on the actual weather on those days, and what the captain deems necessary for safe sailing.

There is no way you sailed through a hurricane and did not feel it, tropical depression? A hurricane starts at 75 MPH winds, seas would be in the 15-20' area. Captains sail away from hurricanes, they would never steer into one.

There is no way you sailed through a hurricane and did not feel it, tropical depression? A hurricane starts at 75 MPH winds, seas would be in the 15-20' area. Captains sail away from hurricanes, they would never steer into one.
I agree. I've not sailed through a hurricane, but have through a tropical storm (NCL Dawn). We were awakened about four in the morning by the bathroom door slamming and drawers and closet doors opening and then slamming closed. It was all you could do to walk without veering into a wall. This went on for hours. My poor wife was sick as a dog most of the day. This was a tropical storm. I can't imagine what it would be like in a hurricane. We spent much of the day watching huge waves crash against the bow on the forward camera. It looked a lot like those storm scenes on "Deadliest Catch." No one was allowed outside.

I have sailed through a hurricane and had to miss a port. Never Ever even felt the winds. Rained a lot . That was in 2005.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no way you sailed through a hurricane. You may have sailed around one, but not through one.

74 mph ;) and waves would likely be around twice that inside the hurricane. It'd be one heck of a ride, that's for sure.

One time we were cruising out of SanJuan... and a Hurricane was headed there. When we left the airport to go to the ship, on the bus, people were all boarding up their windows. We had no idea there was a hurricane coming. this was only our third cruise... didn't even pay attention to the weather back then, except the sunshine:cool:. Well , anyway, on the bus, they told us that a storm was headed our way. And we would get further info when we boarded. We were supposed to head out at 10pm. Instead, they had signs posted to be back onboard a 4 and this ship is sailing at 6. So we left early, it was pouring down raining. Many people missed their cruise. So, we headed south. Our first stop was supposed to be St. Thomas, but that would put us directly in the path of the hurricane.

So they went up and around the other side of Puerto Rico, with intentions of sailing all the way down to Barbados and coming back up. Reversing our itinerary to miss the storm.

Well. guess what? The hurricane decided to change its path to. I am pretty sure we were in the outer bands or very close to it. It was a rough night. But by morning, we were sailing on seas that looked like glass. Ended up being a perfect cruise.

Two years ago we sailed around an approaching hurricane. They changed one of our ports and gave us an overnight in Aruba. It was a great time! If they hadn't changed our itinerary you wouldn't have even known that there was a hurricane out there.

We sailed during Steven last October. We missed DR.

The water was choppy. The lido pool became a wave pool for 4 days of an 8 day cruise.

Carnival will keep you safe. May miss a port, different rotation of ports to may go from eastern to a western or reverse.

Last October when Hurricane Matthew hit Florida and headed toward Bermuda our Norwegian cruise out of NYC stayed in port an extra day while they determined where we could be diverted to. It was so very disappointing to miss Bermuda, but that is a chance you take when cruising during hurricane season. We sailed to Port Canaveral which was still recovering from being hit by Matthew and then on to Nassau. It cost me alot of $$$'s to go to two ports that I have been to before and could care less about. But, Mother Nature rules.

What happens when the cruise is scheduled and a tropical storm forms near the departure port?

I see no one has answered your question yet. If the ship wasn't able to make it into it's home port, it will go to the safest one as close by as possible. Then they will bus the passengers back to where their cars are parked. That has happened before. I'm not sure if they will bus the new passengers to where the ship is.

In some cases, they may extend the previous cruise another day and stay out to sea waiting for the storm to pass.

We were on 2 years ago during hurricane Joaquin. They called us back to the ship very early at the 1st port & missed the other 2 ports. They took us out of the storm & we had beautiful sea days and we were fairly compensated for missing the ports.

So I made a mistake when I wrote this. What are u people the cruise police. I'm sorry I wrote it incorrectly but, all of u jump in is crazy.

You most likely were correct. Most people don't understand that a "hurricane" stretches for miles. Although you did not sail through the center, the winds in a hurricane vary based on what side of it you are on etc. The same goes for the waves. So a hurricane, and the hurricane bands you sailed in. Part of the storm system. Close enough to feel increased winds, and rain. A hurricane and it's bands can cover almost the entire state of Florida if it's big.

I have sailed in 2 different hurricanes. The last one, the ship went to the same ports in reverse order, and we came up on the hurricane behind it. Plenty of wind and a bumpy ride, but we were in the storm system for a night.