iFly and Special Needs

Trying here first since this is RC specific. How much assistance can the instructors give on the iFly?

I have been watching videos of people on the iFly, but didn't really find what I was looking for...

Specifically, on our next cruise we are bringing a young man with us who may not have the ability to follow instruction for something like iFly without help. He would be able to hold his body in a given position, but probably wouldn't understand the effect of how to control yourself by moving your arms and legs. I see the instructor goes in, but is it feasible for them to hold to the student for the whole time or does the wind get too strong?

The instructor holds on to you MOST of the time. Having done this myself, I would NOT recommend this activity for someone who can't follow directions. You are told many hand signals to use for different things. With the wind being extremely strong and his lack of movement, this is NOT for your family member.

They clearly will hold you. That said, if you want to actually fly you have to be able to follow some hand signals, but I am pretty certain that to go in and experience it without that ability is possible. They control the airflow and its power, and the instructor pretty much manipulates you.

The way the process works you walk to the door you put your arms out like superman and look up. Then you fall forward with your arms and legs out onto the instructors arms. The effect is pretty impressive and could be overwhelming to someone who doesn't understand what is happening. Keeping the chin up and arms and legs out and sort of straight is key portion. The hand signals inside are the relax hand wave. Pointing up under the chin is one they give all of the time and the fingers bent or straight which are to tell you to bend or straighten your legs. Those are key to actually flying. However, if you don't follow those the instructor will hold you in place as best he can for 1 minutes.

Hope that helps.

JC

I do know if you bring a young child they will help them a lot. My kids both went when they were 4 and the instructor had to help them with hand and foot placement. Can a guardian sign the waiver on his behalf?

Trying here first since this is RC specific. How much assistance can the instructors give on the iFly?

I have been watching videos of people on the iFly, but didn't really find what I was looking for...

Specifically, on our next cruise we are bringing a young man with us who may not have the ability to follow instruction for something like iFly without help. He would be able to hold his body in a given position, but probably wouldn't understand the effect of how to control yourself by moving your arms and legs. I see the instructor goes in, but is it feasible for them to hold to the student for the whole time or does the wind get too strong?

Your best bet would be to contact the special needs department. They will have had this question in the past and should be able to help you.

I do know if you bring a young child they will help them a lot. My kids both went when they were 4 and the instructor had to help them with hand and foot placement. Can a guardian sign the waiver on his behalf?

I agree, I am guessing that they can.

JC

Thanks for the information. He is very good at copying what other people do, so will probably pick up some things from watching the people who go before him. Will try special needs first and take it from there.

I can tell you from first hand experience of cruising every year with a group that most of us have MS from being invisibly to severely handicapped that it is best to speak directly to the Manager of IFLY once on board. This needs to be as pretty much the day of boarding so that there's sufficient time for young m to be properly assessed by RCCL to determine if it can safety be done even with having assistance from IFLY staff. If it's determined it can be done, there will be a specific time and day assigned as the line will be down for a while to ensure all safety measures are in place.

This is how it was handle on RCCL's Allure when a man in our group our. In fact I was the one that personally got the ball rolling when I heard that zip lining was on this man's bucket list long before ever being DX'd with MS. I personally spoke to RCCL's manager in charge of the zip line and from there the evaluation took place and than the safe guards were all placed in motion to make it happen. It's also important to understand that each situation is different and it may not work out as favorable for the person in your group.

I can tell you from first hand experience of cruising every year with a group that most of us have MS from being invisibly to severely handicapped that it is best to speak directly to the Manager of IFLY once on board. This needs to be as pretty much the day of boarding so that there's sufficient time for young m to be properly assessed by RCCL to determine if it can safety be done even with having assistance from IFLY staff. If it's determined it can be done, there will be a specific time and day assigned as the line will be down for a while to ensure all safety measures are in place.

This is how it was handle on RCCL's Allure when a man in our group our. In fact I was the one that personally got the ball rolling when I heard that zip lining was on this man's bucket list long before ever being DX'd with MS. I personally spoke to RCCL's manager in charge of the zip line and from there the evaluation took place and than the safe guards were all placed in motion to make it happen. It's also important to understand that each situation is different and it may not work out as favorable for the person in your group.

Very valuable advice that u have provided. Thx.