Please help me decide

perlgirlnj

I am looking at two Caribbean cruises in December. They each have their pluses and minuses, some of which I realize only I can decide, but I'd like feedback on the parts that others can compare. Surprisingly, pricing is similar though the product/cabin is not.

One is on Oceania Riviera, departing Miami for 10 nights. Ports are Nassau, sea day, San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Barts, 2 sea days, back to Miami.

Pluses for me are:

• right now, I really really need sea days & beach days so while usually 3 would bother me, this time it doesn't.
  • have not been to St. Barts. have not been to Antigua in a very long time.
  • have not been on Oceania but do have some money hanging out there from a previously cancelled cruise.
  • timing is good in early December

Minuses for me are:

• Nassau
  • Have been to San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Lucia before, and in some cases, recently.
  • Ship is big (bigger than option 2)
  • While not the biggest drinkers, alcohol is not included.

Second option is on Seabourn Sojourn, also 10 days out of Miami. Ports are: 2 sea days, Jost van Dyke, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Barts, San Juan, 2 sea days, back to Miami.

Pluses for me are:

• Sea days on a smaller uncrowded ship (as I said, I need them right now)
  • All suites
  • Alcohol included
  • Some new ports for us (Jost van Dyke, St. Barts), haven't been to St. Kitts or Antigua in awhile.
  • Perceive Seabourn to be more upscale, definitely more inclusive.
  • Also have some money in to Seabourn from a prior cruise credit.

Minuses for me are:

• Have been to San Juan before (& recently)
  • Ship isn't getting great reviews right now
  • Timing is for sure less good for me.

I will post this on the Seabourn forum too. I know there are many A vs. B threads out there but I'm still having a hard time weighing these particulars. And yes, I know much of it is subjective but I'm still looking for help--thanks for helping me decide.

Have not been on Seabourn but do not find the O class ships crowded

It is a personal choice as you said

I would choose the one that ticks the most boxes for what you are looking for

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Edited by LHT28

Hard call, but for similar money I would probably go with Option 2 given the itinerary and less out of pocket expenses.

I will say having just cruised Riviera, if Sea days are important to you, the pool deck on our one Sea day was pure mayhem. If you didn't get poolside by 8:30am you were pretty much out of luck for a spot in the sun, however by maybe 11am the early sunworshippers started clearing out and you could move into the primo spots near the pool.

After 54 cruises O Riviera is my favorite ship. If you have OBC drinks should not cost too much. Our last cruise we drank every night and our bill getting off the ship was $15.

Going on my first Seabourn cruise in 24 days. :D I will let you know when I return how the two lines compare.

So what cabins are you comparing? Do you want to dine in cabin?

If you are considering O are you looking at Olife to get a perk? That might get you alcohol or excursions?

I think I would focus on the ships since the itineraries are similar.

It may come down to cabin size that suits your needs

Looking at the cabins on both ships

Seabourn Veranda 362 SF O Veranda 286 SF

SBPH 436 SF O PH 420 SF

SB OS 760-1062 SF O OS 2000 SF

SB Signature Suite 1302 SF O VS 1200 -1500 SF

SB Grand SS 1682 SF

O Oceania Suite 1000 SF

Then of course the amenities for each cabin cat come into play

depends on your needs & wants

I am looking at two Caribbean cruises in December. They each have their pluses and minuses, some of which I realize only I can decide, but I'd like feedback on the parts that others can compare. Surprisingly, pricing is similar though the product/cabin is not.

One is on Oceania Riviera, departing Miami for 10 nights. Ports are Nassau, sea day, San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Barts, 2 sea days, back to Miami.

Pluses for me are:

•  
  • right now, I really really need sea days & beach days so while usually 3 would bother me, this time it doesn't.

• have not been to St. Barts. have not been to Antigua in a very long time.

• have not been on Oceania but do have some money hanging out there from a previously cancelled cruise.

• timing is good in early December

Minuses for me are:

•  
  • Nassau

• Have been to San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Lucia before, and in some cases, recently.

• Ship is big (bigger than option 2)

• While not the biggest drinkers, alcohol is not included.

Second option is on Seabourn Sojourn, also 10 days out of Miami. Ports are: 2 sea days, Jost van Dyke, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Barts, San Juan, 2 sea days, back to Miami.

Pluses for me are:

•  
  • Sea days on a smaller uncrowded ship (as I said, I need them right now)

• All suites

• Alcohol included

• Some new ports for us (Jost van Dyke, St. Barts), haven't been to St. Kitts or Antigua in awhile.

• Perceive Seabourn to be more upscale, definitely more inclusive.

• Also have some money in to Seabourn from a prior cruise credit.

Minuses for me are:

•  
  • Have been to San Juan before (& recently)

• Ship isn't getting great reviews right now

• Timing is for sure less good for me.

I will post this on the Seabourn forum too. I know there are many A vs. B threads out there but I'm still having a hard time weighing these particulars. And yes, I know much of it is subjective but I'm still looking for help--thanks for helping me decide.

We have done 1 Seabourn and 1 Oceania cruise (Marina, sister to Riviera), both in the Med not the Caribbean so I can respond about the ships rather than the itinerary. We enjoyed both cruises immensely and found them very comparable with a few exceptions. What primarily sets them apart for me is service - while O's service is good, Seabourn's is outstanding. I was concerned going from a ship with 450 persons to 1250 persons that it would feel crowded but I honestly never felt a difference except for the 1 tender port which I think was not handled well by O while tender ports on Seabourn were seamless (again the service thing).

Food on each was wonderful but I liked the option of the 4 specialties on O for a change of pace over the 10 days - Seabourn only has 1 specialty restaurant with a set menu each night. Veranda rooms were comparable to me, amenities within more upscale on Seabourn. It was nice to have all drinks included on Seabourn so you could try new things. On O our OBC covered our bar bill but I was definitely more discerning in what I chose (and more cautious about how much I drank).

If money was not a concern I would sail Seabourn again in a heartbeat. However, their fares on the itineraries I am interested in are so above what I have found on O that I just can't justify spending the money when I know I will be happy on O. We are sailing on Marina again in September and bringing friends who are big Celebrity fans. I am anxious to see how they like O and if they will ever go back to the big ships again - I know I would prefer not to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums