Backing up photos

Seatheworld07

Posting here rather than technology board since it seems this gets more traffic.

I'm planning to purchase a Nikon 1 J5. (I'm open to suggestions on other mirrorless cameras as well.) Will someone please point me in the right direction regarding backing up my photos each day. A few factors:

- not bringing laptop

- planning to bring kindle fire hd 8 (20gb available I think and 256 expandable memory. Has microsd slot) and Samsung s8

- will have 250 min wifi package, but I don't want to rely on this for photo transfers

My goal is to backup photos each day to some sort of thumb drive or portable hard drive. Also, any suggestions on when/where I could use wifi to backup photos to Amazon or google. Seems like that would take a while at a coffee shop or public wifi. Any thoughts?

Please keep in mind that I don't consider extra sd cards to be an option. I once lost hundreds of vacation photos due to a corrupt card. (We were eventually able to recover them.)

If you can suggest specific products (cables, portable stuff, whatever) it would be greatly appreciated. I've been spoiled by good camera phones and just backing those up to computers and clouds, so I've been a bit overwhelmed by my google search of all the cords and this and that. Looking forward to using a real camera on vacation.

Thanks in advance!

Do not plan on backing up your photos to the cloud using some free public coffee shop wifi... this will take time, reliability is questionable at best, and who wants to spend time on their vacation trying to sync to the cloud. Such an effort will consume you and your time. And how do you plan on backing up the SD cards from your Nikon without a laptop?

Personally, I use 7 SD cards for a 7 day vacation. This is enough to ensure I can swap the SD card on the DSLR each time it leaves the ship, and I can have a few left over to swap out the SD on point and shoot -- which honestly is usually a bunch of out of focus garbage that we never look at again, so nothing of value would really be lost.

I've never had an issue with data loss on SD cards. Choose Class 10 SD cards. Using slower cards with gear that expects fast cards could result in data corruption.

It really sounds like you want a device like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83426683

Take a look at the user manual for it to get an idea of how it functions and whether or not it will fit your application:

https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705118.pdf

What ship/itinerary & ports of call ?

Satellite connection as is - for majority of ships in NCL fleet are still "slow" to usable, backup to cloud is NOT an option with 250 minutes at all - still going to take forever with hi-resolution images even with an unlimited plan. While at sea, it will likely be slower than your Starbuck, DD or typical free hotel WiFi node. What is your expected total download/upload size on a daily basis ?

The Acer PC on the BA and Gem has accessible USB ports for upload/download - I am not sure, but, in theory - if it is not blocked - can be used to transfer from camera's storage memory medium to a portable, standalone (2.5" SSD drive)

I am really not on Amazon's eco-system but my understanding is that the latest HD 8 & alike are bootloader locked down & not rootable, limiting what it can do. I have a Nexus 7 tablet with OTG cable, making it easy to transfer & backup to an USB thumb drive.

Edited by mking8288
typo - darn auto-correct

What ship/itinerary & ports of call ?

Satellite ship as is for majority of ships in NCL fleet are still "slow" to usable, backup to cloud is NOT an option with 250 minutes at all - still going to take forever with hi-resolution images even with an unlimited plan. While at sea, it will likely be slower than your Starbuck, DD or typical free hotel WiFi node. What is your expected total download/upload size on a daily basis ?

The Acer PC on the BA and Gem has accessible USB ports for upload/download - I am not sure, but, in theory - if it is not blocked - can be used to transfer from camera's storage memory medium to a portable, standalone (2.5" SSD drive)

I am really not on Amazon's eco-system but my understanding is that the latest HD 8 & alike are bootloader loaded down & not rootable, limiting what it can do. I have a Nexus 7 tablet with OTG cable, making it easy to transfer & backup to an USB thumb drive.

Thanks! I'll look into an otg cable for fire.

Do not plan on backing up your photos to the cloud using some free public coffee shop wifi... this will take time, reliability is questionable at best, and who wants to spend time on their vacation trying to sync to the cloud. Such an effort will consume you and your time. And how do you plan on backing up the SD cards from your Nikon without a laptop?

Personally, I use 7 SD cards for a 7 day vacation. This is enough to ensure I can swap the SD card on the DSLR each time it leaves the ship, and I can have a few left over to swap out the SD on point and shoot -- which honestly is usually a bunch of out of focus garbage that we never look at again, so nothing of value would really be lost.

I've never had an issue with data loss on SD cards. Choose Class 10 SD cards. Using slower cards with gear that expects fast cards could result in data corruption.

Take a look at the user manual for it to get an idea of how it functions and whether or not it will fit your application:

https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705118.pdf

Thanks so much. This looks to be along the lines of what I'm looking for. Will take a closer look in the morning.

Forget trying to backup to the cloud. Does your Samsung 8 phone have an SD slot? Nikon has an App that allows you to transfer your photos from your camera to your phone over your phones wifi. It works really well! From their you can decide on what to use to transfer your photos to, an SD, thumb drive will all work. Thats the cheap way. As others have said a Wifi external hard drive might be better.

That is what I use when I go away, and I swap sd cards, that way I have it both on the SD card and the WD hard drive....the HD is easy to use, simply plug your card in and it does it automatic, just wait for the light to go out....Use it before you go on your trip to familiarize yourself.....

Have a good trip...

I'm planning to purchase a Nikon 1 J5. (I'm open to suggestions on other mirrorless cameras as well.)

Are you aware that the Nikon 1 system is probably discontinued? There mirroless cameras from Canon, Olympus and Panasonic that are very similiar to the J5 that would be better choices. Canon M6, Lumix G850 and Olympus Pen E-PL8.

As for backup, I backup to my iPad.