MS Amsterdam 14-nights Alaska - I'm back

TheCalicoCat

You are correct. It is wasted space. When there was a Java Bar at that location, it was well patronized. But, that was prior to the Exploration's Cafe concept with coffees/teas that needed to be purchased. The Java Bar's offerings were no charge.

True that; those original Java Coffee Bars were one of the best kept secrets in town on the "S" and "R" ships; It even came out on the first three Vistas prior to the intro of the Explorations Cafe

Edited by Copper10-8

Not CalicoCat, but I sailed on the Amsterdam's July 3rd 14 day cruise from Seattle. I wore my tux; I was not overdressed in comparison to other guests.

Was I in the majority dressing with formal wear? Probably not. But, I felt comfortable and the guests with whom I met, including table mates, were most accepting of my appearance. (I even received 2--really, 2 on separate evenings--comments from people that I had not met--on how pleased with my appearance was to them.) Certainly, I did not expect such comments. I dress to please myself and I would suggest that others do likewise, within the proper guidelines, of course.

Absolutely! Why do we get so hung up on what others are wearing.

Roy

Thanks for the information CalicoCat and Rkacruiser. As we have 2 Gala nights I think I will definitely get a pair of suit trousers and smart shoes packed for my husband. I will have to get my scales out to check the suitcase weight, don't want to be charged for excess baggage!!

People left lunch early to get seats at the America's Test Kitchen shows.
On the 31July - 14 August sailing many of the America's Test Kitchen presentations were in the mornings, around 11AM. On the two or so that were in early afternoon we just ate in the Lido.

None that were listed in the schedule. Whether they were quietly offered to five-star Mariners I do not know.

We probably wouldn't have signed up anyway...

I've done two on past cruises. Both times there was a guest chef, so the food was fun and the conversation at lunch was very interesting. Now that it's a 5* perk, it seems to be blocked for them at first. I was offered a waitlist, and a day or two later, I got word that I would be able to attend.