I just got back!

TheCalicoCat

I plan on doing a full review, but wanted to provide a quick overview.

In Alaska, on the coast, the temperatures were about 50's to 60's. I was comfortable in sweatshirts. I did use my coat as well on occasion.

We visited:

Ketchikan - We flew to Anan Creek to see the bears - this was the best decision for me (not so much my 8 year old son - he was too hungry to enjoy the second half of the excursion) & I would do it again in a heart beat!

Juneau - I took the tram up & hiked on Mt. Roberts (My son wanted to stay in Club HAL & I let him since I did not have anything booked/paid for/planned) I now know why people say look at the time that you have in port. The Disney ship left at 12:30 & they were at a dock that was not centrally located. I'm not sure what time they arrived, but as I was walking around, some of the shops hadn't opened yet!

Icy Strait Point - rainy (so nice that they have umbrellas for people to borrow.) we just walked on the nature trail & around the cannery. My son showed interest in the tokens ("Currency" used before statehood) so one of the locals went out & got him a commemorative one. He had also finished his books by this time & so we got a copy of White Fang in the shop that supports the local schools.

Anchorage - My girlfriend let us borrow her car, so we drove on Turnagin Arm (So beautiful) to Girdwood where we hiked to a hand tram - not something you do everyday. & because it was close we also went to Crow Creek Mine to try our hands at gold panning.

1. panning is overrated.

2. That location was enhanced by the natural beauty & antique cars, equipment, & buildings.

3. My son fell in the creek at the "real" panning area.

Since we were away from the ocean/inlet/arm/open water, the mosquitos were out in full force & they didn't care one bit about the bug spray that had been purchased in Alaska by an Alaskan. (With that said I did not get bitten.) We ate dinner in town before catching the shuttle back to the ship.

This port stop is 11-ish hours because the ships have to come in & leave on the high tides. The gang way moved from deck 3 to deck 5 during the day & back.

Homer - We took a tour with AK coastal Studies (tide pooling & a forest hike - we saw a ton of animals & the wild blueberries were ripe!) it was wonderful. We also stopped by Gull Island, a large rookerie, on the way to Peterson Bay.

I'm still not sure if I just missed a free shuttle or if I should have purchased the $15 ea. HOHO shuttle.

We walked at a fast pack to make the requested time & almost missed the yurt because we were on the service road instead of the main road.

At the end we had to walk back to the ship - with frequent stops for photography/shopping, we got back "just in time."

Kodiak - I planned another bear flight, but because of the fog, we were not able to leave the ship. (The dock was occupied by a ship in need of repair, so they were preparing the tenders. It was not safe to tender into port. If we had been able to dock the ship, it probably would have been ok. So I am doubly glad that I booked a bear flight in both locations.)

As an aside, One of my favorite photographs from the who trip is of the orange tender in focus with the gloomy gray coast our of focus in the background.

Sitka - we walked to the National Park (free), before entering the visitor's center, we met one of the cultural artists who invited my son to visit him after we looked around. We listened to the ranger talk about the newest pole & when we went into the cultural center, I met the carver. Meanwhile, my son was doing metal carving on a bracelet. In the third room there was a lady working on beading. I walked the totem pole trail while my son worked on his bracelet.

I hear people on a tour wishing they had more time...

On the way back to the main part of town, we stopped that the Science Center/Hatchery/Aquarium ($5 ea). We got the same tour as those who got the shops tour, but we could stay longer.

Victoria, BC - It was HOT in Victoria! We took a Pedicab to Fisherman's Wharf, then a water taxi to the Empress Dock, a short walk to the Victoria Bug Zoo, a short walk back to the Visitor's Center where thankfully they were able to call the Pedicab for a ride back to the ship. (My phone did not work in Victoria, it said "No Service.")

We had 2 scenic sailing days:

Tracy Arm - diverted to Endicott Arm

Hubbard Glacier - It was overcast, so the blues were spectacular.

Both were lovely & the scenic sailing days were enjoyable, but I would still recommend for a first (only) AK cruisers that you choose one that sails into Glacier Bay. I would also still recommend the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm if it is available.

There were plenty people on my cruise that did nothing or pretty close to nothing while in port & were satisfied/happy. At the end of the day "you know you" (& your budget.)

From the ship in the different ports/areas, we saw a lot of Humpback Whales, a pod of Orca's, otters, seals & sea lions.

So glad you and your son enjoyed the visit to Peterson Bay with the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies. You did take the long way around to get there. The free shuttle to the Salty Dog on the Spit would have taken you near to their yurt and back to the ship. Did you have other people in your group?

In Alaska it can be the unexpected that create lasting memories through our photos like the lifeboat in the fog. Our Kodiak memory on our first cruise was the Coast Guard crew that flew overhead waving to us as we sailed out of port!

We have done that itinerary twice. The first year of this 14 day itinerary HAL sailed from Seattle inside Vancouver Island and Glacier Bay was part of the itinerary. Too bad they changed the itinerary but it is still a great cruise and I'm hoping to go again next year. Welcome home.

The free shuttle to the Salty Dog on the Spit would have taken you near to their yurt and back to the ship. Did you have other people in your group?

Welcome home.

Apparently if I had read the "When & Where" I would have seen the note about the free shuttle. I just remember getting off the ship & seeing a lot of school busses - nothing looked "free" as opposed to for fee. Oh well, we survived & loved that tour.

There were a couple other families on our tour, but they were not from the ship.

Thanks, its good to be home, but I am going to start looking for this itinerary again - maybe in 2019... (I pay off my student loans after 20 years of a hard slog this fall - maybe the savings from that can be diverted to my vacation savings.)

Glad to hear you had a good trip!

Interesting that your son enjoyed the HAL kids club so well. So many folks are under the impression that HAL is a floating old folks home , but as BQ says ....the cruiselines are more alike than different, even the demographics.

I'm glad that you also enjoyed your cruise on the Amsterdam. My July 3rd cruise was one where each day was as good as or better than the day before. We did get to Sawyer Glacier at Tracy Arm, but the glacier that stole the show in that category was Hubbard. There was lots of calving which in my previous two cruises to Alaska, I had never seen.

The timing of your post is awesome. I had just recently mentioned you in a question I had posted about the vegetarian menu items wondering if you had returned yet.

Thanks for the review! It was a great read.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this review. We sail in just under 2 weeks and have had Sitka added in to our cruise instead of Dutch Harbour. We enjoy walking so it sounds like we will be able to find plenty to do as we stroll round.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums