Barcelona Pirport-Allow at least 3 hrs for security

Flew back sat 8/3, first day of "security soft strike" It was hellish. It took over 3 hours to clear the 3 security points BCN airport has set up. There was line cutting & 1000s of people in 2 hellishly long lines. We allowed for 2 extra hours and had to run for our flight as they were boarding.

On Sat 8/4 the full strike went into effect as well as the temps soaring. Allow extra time, bring water and your patience, you will need it all.

I read where the security has "scheduled" strikes with spec days and times. IF you are traveling during these timeframes, truly allow 3 extra hours at least. I also read about 1/3 of passengers missed their flights on sat.

It took us 30 hours to travel from Malaga, BCN, Montreal, LAX...we chased the sun & landed exhausted & happy to be home.

Be safe fellow cruisers and travelers.

There has been a lot about the delays in the news over the last week, and sorry you got caught up in it. I have read that people are being advised to allow at least 4 hours before their scheduled flight departing Barcelona.

I had some concerns that flights arriving into Barcelona on the strike days would be similarly affected as we flew from Heathrow to Barcelona last night, Sunday arriving just after 10pm, however there were no queues whatsoever. Plenty of other flights also arriving at that time of the night, so it's difficult to predict what others might experience, but best to allow that extra time for departing Barcelona.

wow, by the news and what we experienced, you guys were very lucky. I would have guessed that by nighttime things would have been really backlogged-as that's usually happens :(

Glad you made it back without going thru those horrible lines, Ive traveled all over and it was the worst I have ever experienced.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going September 10th thru 17th. Is there a way to know ahead of time whether that is a strike time?

According to the UK's Sunday Express:

"Although the strikes are set to last for a total of 25 days, they will be spread out over the coming months on weekends and national days. Starting on September 15, the 24-hour strikes will take place until December - including Christmas holidays.

Other scheduled dates include 17, 22, 24 and 29 September, 1, 6, 11, 15, 27, 30 and 31 October, 3 and 5 November and 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 December. "

According to the UK's Sunday Express:

"Although the strikes are set to last for a total of 25 days, they will be spread out over the coming months on weekends and national days. Starting on September 15, the 24-hour strikes will take place until December - including Christmas holidays.

Other scheduled dates include 17, 22, 24 and 29 September, 1, 6, 11, 15, 27, 30 and 31 October, 3 and 5 November and 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 December. "

I wonder how much it will affect our October 3rd arrival. We leave NY on Oct 2, but arrive on the 3rd.

We were really worried about this when we flew out of Barcelona last Sunday, 8/13, as this was one of the strike days and we were on an early flight so there was no room for error. We had no issues whatsoever. We were through security and to our gate in 30 minutes. Our car picked us up at 7:15AM, we were to the airport by 7:45AM and at the gate by 8:15AM for our 10:40AM flight. We also had no problems upon entry either. We landed on Saturday, 8/5 around 8:30AM and breezed through customs/immigration. It was WAY better than what we expected based on what we had read about the horror stories.

We were really worried about this when we flew out of Barcelona last Sunday, 8/13, as this was one of the strike days and we were on an early flight so there was no room for error. We had no issues whatsoever. We were through security and to our gate in 30 minutes. Our car picked us up at 7:15AM, we were to the airport by 7:45AM and at the gate by 8:15AM for our 10:40AM flight. We also had no problems upon entry either. We landed on Saturday, 8/5 around 8:30AM and breezed through customs/immigration. It was WAY better than what we expected based on what we had read about the horror stories.

Excellent news! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for taking time to post your positive experience. I hope others will do the same.

Regards, Judy