my first Royal Caribbean Cruise (5 previous cruises on Carnival)--RCCL vs Carnival

I have been on other cruise lines... to be specific, carnival. Overall, Royal Caribbean is a decent cruise line that was satisfactory in many ways. However, I would not recommend this cruise line to others knowing that I've had better experiences on Carnival. One of the biggest reasons I would not recommend Royal Caribbean to a friend or family member is because of food choices and hours the food is available. Remember, I'm comparing everything to carnival cruise lines. The windjammer (royal Caribbean buffet) pretty much had the same lunch choice selection every day with the food being very mediocre and bland. Carnival had several choices at lunch aside from the buffet which was a huge step up from the level of royal caribbeans buffet...carnival has the "guys burger joint"....the blue iguana Mexican bar...Indian station...Mongolian BBQ....sandwich bar...all of these options free of charge. The only choice with royal Caribbean (that was free of charge) was the windjammer buffett (and of course the dining room). Johnny rockets was another option but with a surcharge. Carnivals pizza bar was way better pizza (thick brick oven pizza vs thin stale pizza on royal Caribbean) .Royal Caribbeans self serve ice cream closed at 9pm and carnival had it open 24 hours/day. The first evening on this ship I went to the windjammer(royal Caribbean buffet) to get a later evening meal (after 9pm) and it was CLOSED! carnival has midnight buffets around the clock, at least until midnight. The dining room experience in the evenings was more comparable to carnivals level of taste but id still give the advantage in taste and quality in the dining room to carnival. Room service has a charge on royal Caribbean, carnivals was free. Carnival had self serve laundry facilities on their ship...royal Caribbean you had to pay for each item a la carte with the dry cleaning service.

We've gone on 5 carnival cruises and this was our first royal Caribbean. All we heard before this trip was how much "classier" and "better" this was than carnival. We had the opposite experience and were just shocked when we experienced differently.

So to summarize, carnival has more food options throughout day with no required upcharge, better quality food in the buffet, the availability of food 24 hrs a day, and there isn't as many upcharges that royal Caribbean had (no laundry, pay for room service, etc). The public bathrooms throughout ship were very poorly maintained and reeked of urine. We've always heard that carnival was a party ship vs royal Caribbean...that the people were classier...our experience was that both ships had people partying and the same level of class. So those are my reasons. I wish I felt differently but the differences were clear as day. I'm glad i know for myself now.

What ship were you on? I have heard many times that MDR food between the two lines is comparable but give CCL the edge. Yes, I agree lots of surcharges now also. Overall I do not think IMO that there is a great difference between the two lines...so if Carnival is cheaper and is pretty close in terms of experience I might give it a try also. Sorry you were disappointed!

I guess you missed the 24-hour Cafe Promenade for late night snacks.

The 24 hour promenade cafe had the pizza and some small desserts. The pizza was nothing to write home about compared to the wood fired pizza on carnival. Plus, you could not request a type of pizza, you only got what they were making at the time.. The small desserts and cookies at the cafe promenade were terrible!

Another note, Royal Caribbean only had orange juice and apple juice in the buffet. Carnival had those plus pineapple juice, guava juice, and a couple others...THere was also no self serve machines for ice/water anywhere on royal caribbean...so weird.

I don't disagree with the OP - I have been on both, and have found the food quality and availability on Carnival to have an edge over Royal. And yes I LOVE a Guys burger - that is so so good.

That said, food is not always my overriding need to cruise. I cruise for other reasons, but the food is a benefit. I find the newer ships (Freedom class and above) to provide me with enough of the options to keep me satisfied. I went on Carnival Imagination last in 2008, and found the food on that ship to be quite lacking but that was an older ship. I think a more fair comparison would be the age of the ship and venues available. Adventure is part of the Voyager class on RCL, and may not have as many option as Oasis would.

I do agree about the pizza - RCL's is seriously gross, but I tend not to eat pizza on a cruise and once I have had my dinner, I don't get snacks in the later evening.

The 24 hour promenade cafe had the pizza and some small desserts. ... .

Interesting. Everytime I've been there, the Cafe Promenade has also had small sandwiches, wraps, fruit cups, and fruit. They must have cut back on Adventure.

Adventure of the Seas--and I do understand this is not the newest ship.

It is middle of the road, and I won't fault any of your observations, it does vary somewhat by ship/class.

I can't argue with your comparisons, however my experience was quite different. After five cruises on Carnival, I tried a Royal Caribbean cruise. There were several factors in the decision, but none of them related to any dissatisfaction with my experience with Carnival. Ironically, my first cruise on Royal was also on Adventure of the Seas. These were my impressions:

• I found the ship to be incredibly well maintained. Seems an odd thing to lead with, but it was particularly striking. Adventure, even at that time, was not a new ship or even a recently dry-docked ship. But I only knew that from research, not from experience. Paint was fresh and clean, inside and on the hull of the ship. The "greens" on the mini-golf course were in perfect repair, unlike those I'd experienced on older Carnival ships. Lighting in public areas was always functional - no burned out bulbs that stayed off the entire cruise. I was really impressed with how "new" everything seemed.
  • I understand your feelings about the Windjammer having fewer "specialty" options, but I do like that they offer service there. Waitstaff helps passengers locate a table, brings them beverages, etc.
  • I totally agree about dining options closing down early. It's less of an issue as I get older, particularly since I've grown to prefer more port-intensive itineraries which force me to consider my early-morning plans when determining what time I turn in for the night. Bob mentioned the Promenade Cafe. I have to admit that I missed that on my first cruise as well. I failed to realize it was included in the price of the cruise and I tend to shy away from the added-cost venues. Have definitely enjoyed that location on subsequent cruises!
  • Speaking of things that close early, RCL does win in some aspects here. Carnival shuts down and nets over the pools at night - or at least they did when I cruised that line. You can use the pool and hot tubs all night on RCL. Also, mini-golf on Carnival requires (or again, did when I cruised the line) you to check out the clubs and balls and therefore closes down at night. Not so on RCL.
  • And I have to admit, the decor on RCL is definitely more upscale. I like Vegas as much as the next guy, but even I found the decor to be a bit of sensory overload and often times very dated on Carnival. Maybe you didn't feel the passengers were any more sophisticated, but the atmosphere certainly is.

Interesting. Everytime I've been there, the Cafe Promenade has also had small sandwiches, wraps, fruit cups, and fruit. They must have cut back on Adventure.

The OP must have been referring to Sorrento's instead of Cafe Promenade.?.?

... You can use the pool and hot tubs all night on RCL. ...

This has changed recently on Royal. They are putting (or have put) lifeguards on the ships. Once lifeguards are on the ship, the pools close at 11pm. Hot tubs are unaffected by this.

I don't disagree with the OP - I have been on both, and have found the food quality and availability on Carnival to have an edge over Royal. And yes I LOVE a Guys burger - that is so so good.

That said, food is not always my overriding need to cruise. I cruise for other reasons, but the food is a benefit. I find the newer ships (Freedom class and above) to provide me with enough of the options to keep me satisfied. I went on Carnival Imagination last in 2008, and found the food on that ship to be quite lacking but that was an older ship. I think a more fair comparison would be the age of the ship and venues available. Adventure is part of the Voyager class on RCL, and may not have as many option as Oasis would.

I do agree about the pizza - RCL's is seriously gross, but I tend not to eat pizza on a cruise and once I have had my dinner, I don't get snacks in the later evening.

Correct, I know my criticism is focused on the food...but that is a huge part of cruise ships in my opinion. The rest of the ship (entertainment, pools, activities) seemed very similar to any of the carnival cruises i have been on.

I am very curious to know if the food options are different on the oasis class of ships? I do understand that I am judging off of one royal caribbean ship that had to be 10-15 years old.

This ship did not have fruit cups, sandwishes, or wraps at the cafe..there was a selection of cookies and small desserts with of course the pizza.

I can't argue with your comparisons, however my experience was quite different. After five cruises on Carnival, I tried a Royal Caribbean cruise. There were several factors in the decision, but none of them related to any dissatisfaction with my experience with Carnival. Ironically, my first cruise on Royal was also on Adventure of the Seas. These were my impressions:

• I found the ship to be incredibly well maintained. Seems an odd thing to lead with, but it was particularly striking. Adventure, even at that time, was not a new ship or even a recently dry-docked ship. But I only knew that from research, not from experience. Paint was fresh and clean, inside and on the hull of the ship. The "greens" on the mini-golf course were in perfect repair, unlike those I'd experienced on older Carnival ships. Lighting in public areas was always functional - no burned out bulbs that stayed off the entire cruise. I was really impressed with how "new" everything seemed.
  • I understand your feelings about the Windjammer having fewer "specialty" options, but I do like that they offer service there. Waitstaff helps passengers locate a table, brings them beverages, etc.
  • I totally agree about dining options closing down early. It's less of an issue as I get older, particularly since I've grown to prefer more port-intensive itineraries which force me to consider my early-morning plans when determining what time I turn in for the night. Bob mentioned the Promenade Cafe. I have to admit that I missed that on my first cruise as well. I failed to realize it was included in the price of the cruise and I tend to shy away from the added-cost venues. Have definitely enjoyed that location on subsequent cruises!
  • Speaking of things that close early, RCL does win in some aspects here. Carnival shuts down and nets over the pools at night - or at least they did when I cruised that line. You can use the pool and hot tubs all night on RCL. Also, mini-golf on Carnival requires (or again, did when I cruised the line) you to check out the clubs and balls and therefore closes down at night. Not so on RCL.
  • And I have to admit, the decor on RCL is definitely more upscale. I like Vegas as much as the next guy, but even I found the decor to be a bit of sensory overload and often times very dated on Carnival. Maybe you didn't feel the passengers were any more sophisticated, but the atmosphere certainly is.

very good analysis. agree with what you say. It's true..the windjammer had service from the waitstaff and I don't believe carnival had that much at all..also very true about pool hours, etc..

all very good points and observations..

This ship did not have fruit cups, sandwishes, or wraps at the cafe..there was a selection of cookies and small desserts with of course the pizza.

That's quite a difference from our last cruise on Adventure. Sorry to hear of the decline in offerings at what has been a decent snack venue.

This has changed recently on Royal. They are putting (or have put) lifeguards on the ships. Once lifeguards are on the ship, the pools close at 11pm. Hot tubs are unaffected by this.
I can tell that we were on the AOS the week of 7/22 and just as you described, the pools closed at 11:00PM once the guards went away.

The poor guys guarding at the Solarium pool must feel like they are going to go out of their minds. Staring at a pool with adults sitting along the side with a drink chatting or a few adults standing in the pool. 14 hours a day. I am sure that they can't wait for their breaks.

Having been on 24 Carnival ships and 18 RCCL ships I can observe that both lines have their strengths and areas where they can do better. I have never had any trouble finding something to eat when hungry, but I am not a real foodie. The food selection and quality will vary greatly within each cruise line as will the level and speed of service. I do know that upon reaching higher reward levels that RCCL's Diamond plus benefits are superior to Carnival's Diamond level perks.

... The poor guys guarding at the Solarium pool must feel like they are going to go out of their minds. Staring at a pool with adults sitting along the side with a drink chatting or a few adults standing in the pool. 14 hours a day. I am sure that they can't wait for their breaks.

Did they at least have a place to sit? When we were on Oasis this past June, they didn't even have a place to sit or have any shade.

We have only sailed once on Carnival but from that one cruise, I strongly agree with the OP's comments on food...especially the limited and repeating food selection and limited hours in the Windjammer. We also found the MDR food slightly better on Carnival and we sure enjoyed wearing shorts to dinner.

Yes, Cafe Promenade is always open but their pizza is really bad and the snack selection there is mediocre and repetitive. We obviously prefer Royal for other reasons...ship layout and design, fellow passenger demographics, Diamond benefits, etc. But Royal really needs to improve their food options and availability. Note I do not sail Oasis or Quantum class so my reference is for Freedom class and earlier...certainly most of the fleet.

I know that it serves very little purpose. But here goes. I am glad that while there are fewer and fewer parent cruise companies, there are multiple sub-lines available to from which to select a cruise.

I do not think that anyone person or group is the ultimate authority on which cruise line has the best this or the best that. It is personal opinion or preference. What matters to one, doesn't matter to another and vice versa. Having more upscale choices might matter to some and those might require an upcharge. Others have no interest to step outside the standard offerings. The availability of some food offerings mean more to some than others. It just comes down to personal preference. We have only cruised Celebrity and RCL and are happy with those choices. Celebrity used to have midnight buffets. They then scaled back to fewer buffets, offering "small bites" in the later hours. One can see when the various food choices operate in the Compass on RCI ships so we plan our dining choices accordingly.

Some folks like to move around between multiple lines. They may eventually become Princess folk or Carnival folk or Holland America folk or RCI folk etc., content with what those lines offer to them.

I would just caution folks to do their research before they take a cruise. There is plenty of information out there to help in making a choice. If you have a pre-conceived idea about what a cruise line should be like and you gather consistent feedback that seems to fit what you are looking to experience then you should be okay with your decision. And please once your cruise is over, come back to the site and provide a review about what you liked the most and the least on your trip just like the original poster did when they stepped outside one cruise lane into another.

Edited by baileybrad

Did they at least have a place to sit? When we were on Oasis this past June, they didn't even have a place to sit or have any shade.
There was an umbrella stand on the deck but they rarely used it. But sadly, no sitting. I think that standing like that in crocs on the lip of the pool would be maddening.