Caps and Corks Question

Hello, We are cruising in NCL in just a few days out of Venice (our first cruise). We selected the UBP for my wife and I as our free at sea offer. Our daughter, 20, is also coming. I have read that I can upgrade her current soda package to a Caps and Corks package by just paying the gratuity once on board. Is this correct? Would love to get confirmation before we leave.

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid you won't get confirmation before you leave.

You will find some people who will say that it can be done. Probably you will be referred to the live review on here recently when it was done. You will also be told by others that they were refused.

Hopefully you will be able to upgrade, but it is one of those things where different people have different results and it's impossible to say for certain what luck you will have.

All you can do is ask and hope I'm afraid.

More information needed....

How did she end up with the soda program? Was it from a promo or was it purchased?

That's a good point. Usually only the first two people get a promo drinks package, so if the soda package was purchased rather than a promo then it would cost more than just the gratuities to upgrade (if they let you).

I think it's pretty unlikely since, sans a few hundred dollars, it would be like giving the 3rd pax the UBP for only the Grats.... doubt it would happen. Corks and caps package on a 7 day cruise is $59/pp so not cheap. Even the 18% Grats would be $74.34 on $413 USD. Guess it's not a bad price but doubt NCL would agree to the grats only.

Good luck.

I think it's pretty unlikely since, sans a few hundred dollars, it would be like giving the 3rd pax the UBP for only the Grats.... doubt it would happen. Corks and caps package on a 7 day cruise is $59/pp so not cheap.

OP is right on I believe.

I can say I'm super interested to find out if you get alcohol added into a $68 value soda package just by paying the additional gratuities amount when I paid over $440 for caps and corks (incl gratuity).

I apologize that my info was incomplete. My 20 year old has the soda package as a free at sea promo. We have two rooms - 4 of us travelling. The soda package is the only drink package available when booking an under 21 year old. The others have the UBP. So, my question is about upgrading the free at sea soda package. How common is that? Thanks!

I apologize that my info was incomplete. My 20 year old has the soda package as a free at sea promo. We have two rooms - 4 of us travelling. The soda package is the only drink package available when booking an under 21 year old. The others have the UBP. So, my question is about upgrading the free at sea soda package. How common is that? Thanks!

In that case, it's possible, but not certain.

Some people have managed to upgrade, some haven't. There is only one way to find out whether you will be successful I'm afraid, and that's to wait and see what they say when you ask.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on.

OK, in that case, what happens is that the parent fills out the consent form and NCL forwards it (somewhere) and waits for an approval. If approved, the upgrade is charged the 18% on the regular Corks and Caps package which will be $74.34.

It's the approval that is at their discretion. Nothing is guaranteed but (because it means more money for them) it will likely get approved.

As far as I am aware from other reports, they very often don't get as far as sending anything off somewhere, but just tell people right away that it can't be done. It does seem that on some ships they won't even ask for you.
Technically, a person under 21 can't have an alcohol beverage package. They can have the items covered in the package with the parental consent. It's the "package" part that is the problem. I agree that it is hit or miss with the OP but financially, the OP is correct with only having to pay the 18% if approval is given.

Yes, I don't think there is any doubt on that point.
In another thread, someone tried to correct my math by telling me that the price for the upgrade should only be $69.62. They took $59 and added 18%...not realizing that the $10.62 has to be paid for everyday and the $59 per day is covered by the promo.

From what I was told on the Escape... all promos are handled in Miami. If the ship's guest relations (hotel director?) is willing to process the switch to Corks & Caps for someone < 21, they need to send the request to Miami for processing.

I was also told it's common practice on the Escape, and has been for some time.

Technically, a person under 21 can't have an alcohol beverage package. They can have the items covered in the package with the parental consent. It's the "package" part that is the problem. I agree that it is hit or miss with the OP but financially, the OP is correct with only having to pay the 18% if approval is given.

Technically they can have a Caps and Cork package without parental consent. The OP is leaving from Venice so the drinking age is 18, not 21.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

I thought the T&C for drink packages states 21 and over... isn't that the issue?

This is the quote from the FAQ page that I referred to. Does it say something different in the T&C?

"However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form."

Under 21s are certainly allowed to drink alcohol on Europe itineraries without the parental permission. That is signified by the fact that often on these ships there are signs in the bars saying over 18 for alcohol consumption.

My understanding though is that, going on what is written on the NCL website they are officially not allowed to purchase alcoholic beverage packages.

This is from the T&C's of the Corks and Caps package:

"You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy."

This is a actually not really conclusive, as the reference to the guest alcohol policy could be read as saying that the European itinerary provision will also apply here.

Certainly, many, if not most, ships don't allow sales of the corks and caps package to under 21's, and they could certainly refer to the T&Cs as an explanation.

The T&C for the package is what is more restrictive.

Under 21 can consume but not get a package unless it is approved AFAIK.

You are probably correct. Once again the NCL website is ambiguous at best and contradictory at worst.

• 1 year later...