REykjavik airport time

Airport is fairly small and rental car drop of is close to terminal - I would be there 30 minutes prior to boarding time.

Check-in counter will normally open 2,5 hour before departure - So I would recommend 2,5 hour before departure.

Re rental cars in Iceland: Please inspect your car very carefully when you pick it up, note all scratches, pits, windshield chips, and so on. Mark them on the paper the company gives you, and insist that a company representative acknowledge the existing damage by signing the paper to agree to the damage report. Go back inside to the desk if necessary. People also recommend taking photos of any damage. The Iceland Thread on Trip Advisor is full of stories about people who did not do this, and were then charged whopping amounts for repairs. Some people claim it's a scam, but usually the people who complain are the ones who did not carefully inspect the car when they picked it up.

This also means you need to leave time at the airport for turning the car in, so I would say allow an extra half an hour for turning the car in.

That Iceland thread on Trip Advisor is a gold mine of information - highly recommended! We travelled in Iceland for three days in early June this year, and received so much helpful and info from the TA people.

wassup is spot on. Take photographs of every inch of the car, including the windshield and the undercarriage (as much as you can reach) when you pick it up and when you drop it off. Preferably with date stamps. Most folks don't have any problems but the ones that do get surprised with large charges.

Please DO go and read that Iceland thread on TA, many sub-threads on rental cars, driving and problems. Since you are travelling in late Sept, autumn, with high winds in Iceland, is also coming on. The winds can blow volcanic ash that damage the car, and driving conditions can be very challenging. You can have rain, snow, ice on the road, and then suddenly sunshine.

I don't mean to discourage you - driving is the very best way to see the most possible in a limited time. We've done it twice in rental cars, and would not trade those experiences for anything. But you need to educate and protect yourself before you rent and drive a car in Iceland.

Have a wonderful trip! It is one of the most amazing places on earth. Don't be timid, but do be informed.

I read about the horror stories - and inspected the car thoroughly with the person from the rental company (Dollar) -- A suggestion would also be to take some pictures.

However, everything went smoothly.

Note: The GPS they rented us was of little use.

Also note - the rental counter is very close to the terminal, and the bus does come as often as you may like - so if you just missed a bus, and you do not have a lot of luggage, it is only about a 4-5 minute walk to the terminals.

Getting through security should be quick, but that the boarding gates will be crowded.

Please be more specific on "that Iceland thread on TA" - not sure which thread!

I think he may be referring to the following Trip Advisor thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189970-i594-k3289237-Car_rental_in_Iceland-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html