Time lapse cruise video preview - I need your opinion!

InternetAgeTraveler

A couple years back I started capturing time lapse images from ship web cams. The goal was to build a library of cruises to answer those often asked questions about what is the weather like and how rough is this route or that. I did it for a few years, but it got to be more work than i had time for. Since we are cruising to Alaska again next year, that peaked my interest again. So i have my system busy collecting data but i still had not made videos out of them. I did a few this week and the one major difference compared to the old ones is the amount of images I captured and the playback rate. Where I was posting 2-3 minute videos before, these are 4-6 minute ones. I find that the scenery in particular is a lot easier to see going by (not that it is like the real cruise) and the web cam quality is not HD so its not the same as being there.

I would appreciate if you would watch a few of these and comment either here or on the video what you think. I picked a few recent samples with Seattle, Vancouver, Whittier and even a San Francisco (wow is that a long cruise).

You'll notice these are mostly Princess cruises, the main reason that they have good quality webcams and are reliable. I also captured NCL in the past, but this year, their webcams have been quite unreliable. I also have a few land base time lapses as well. And as noted, there are over 400 more on my channel...

Ruby Princess

July 1st 2017 Seattle Roundtrip via Glacier Bay

July 22 2017, Seattle Round trip via Glacier Bay

Coral Princess, July 8th 2017, Vancouver Northbound

Emerald Princess, July 9th, 2017 Seattle Roundtrip via Tracy Arm

Star Princess, June 24, 2017, Whittier Southbound

Grand Princess, June 26th 2017, San Francisco Roundtrip via Glacier Bay

Juneau Harbor July 2017

Skagway Harbor July 2017

If I want historical data, it's very quick and easy to gather from the weather sites, like www.wunderground.com

In less than 5 minutes I can look at the past 10 yrs of weather for Juneau on Aug 10. It's still no guarantee, but 10 yrs data will give me a good idea of what to expect.

Someone posted earlier this week that it was 93 in Skagway. Big deal. That was one day. The typical average on that day is 63. If people re=packed their suitcases based on that report, they would probably be quite sorry when they arrived 2 weeks later.

Just pack your layers and you're prepared for whatever the weather conditions might be. And I'll stick with wunderground for historical data. Time lapse videos give me a headache.

Edited by mapleleaves
typo

Although I may check a ship webcame from time to time, I would never sit and watch these time lapse videos that you have posted. Too jerky and nothing to see.

The time lapse videos that I do somewhat enjoy are the ones that Captain Jonathan Mercer posts from bridge on the HAL Amsterdam in Alaska. The videos (plus other photos and commentary) are on his blog:

Captain, Who's Driving?

I read various blogs from cruisers, but it is fun to read one from the perspective of the ship captain!