NCL Advice

dtripli

Hi Everyone

We have never sailed with NCL before (only 1 royal caribbean and 2 carnivals on our belt). We'd like to try NCL for a week long Eastern Caribbean cruise. It would be me, hubby and 9 year old son. I did want to try DCL but the prices are just too high for us right now. I'm thinking of October of this year or February 2018. We prefer the mid-size ships to the mega's they all seem to be building now. Is NCL good for someone our son's age? Will we enjoy it as well? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

What size would you consider to be "mega"? I ask because you and your son would probably enjoy the NCL Escape or one of the "away" ships, though these are the largest in NCLs fleet. They have the most to do and some of the best entertainment.

Gem and Jade are good sized ships, if you are going off season school-wise there might not be large amounts of children in the kids club for your son. They all have a pool, mini golf, and other areas. I don't think you can go wrong with NCL. Disney (IMO) is not worth the extra costs, that cruise isn't 4 times better for the price.

What size would you consider to be "mega"? I ask because you and your son would probably enjoy the NCL Escape or one of the "away" ships, though these are the largest in NCLs fleet. They have the most to do and some of the best entertainment.

HHmmm Im not sure about what Mega is ....lol....I do know that we sailed on Carnivals Dream (which I think was large) and then their Pride (which is considered mid-size) and we much preferred the Pride...Im thinkin like 2500 passengers compared to 4500?.....Do you happen to know how many sail on the escape? I so appreciate your responding :)

Gem and Jade are good sized ships, if you are going off season school-wise there might not be large amounts of children in the kids club for your son. They all have a pool, mini golf, and other areas. I don't think you can go wrong with NCL. Disney (IMO) is not worth the extra costs, that cruise isn't 4 times better for the price.

Thanks....do you happen to know if they sail out of Florida Ports?...with the eastern caribbean itinerery?....

Thanks....do you happen to know if they sail out of Florida Ports?...with the eastern caribbean itinerery?....

Sadly, for a 7 day cruise, out of Florida, during the months you mentioned, the Escape or the Getaway are the only Eastern Caribbean cruiseships available on NCL from Miami, and the Epic from Port Canaveral.

DH and I also prefer the mid-size ships overall... BUT, we loved our Eastern Caribbean on the Getaway a few years ago and saw plenty for children to LOVE doing. You might be surprised!

We enjoyed our cruise on the Epic, but did not care for the way the ship is layed-out overall (but, to be fair, there is plenty of fun to be had onboard!) Good Luck!

May I recommend you check out Cruiseplum.com? It isn't a travel agency, but you can use the Search feature to filter cruise choices to just Eastern Car, Florida departure, and NCL (and/or anything else) to help you find a good itinerary and price.

May I recommend you check out Cruiseplum.com? It isn't a travel agency, but you can use the Search feature to filter cruise choices to just Eastern Car, Florida departure, and NCL (and/or anything else) to help you find a good itinerary and price.

Thanks...I'll check it out

Sadly, for a 7 day cruise, out of Florida, during the months you mentioned, the Escape or the Getaway are the only Eastern Caribbean cruiseships available on NCL from Miami, and the Epic from Port Canaveral.

DH and I also prefer the mid-size ships overall... BUT, we loved our Eastern Caribbean on the Getaway a few years ago and saw plenty for children to LOVE doing. You might be surprised!

We enjoyed our cruise on the Epic, but did not care for the way the ship is layed-out overall (but, to be fair, there is plenty of fun to be had onboard!) Good Luck!

Thank You :D

My daughters have been in clubs on NCL, Carnival, and RCI. For my kids, the size of the ship or the cruise line was of no consequence as long as they found friends in the clubs. As mentioned, October will be when most school are in session, so not as many kids in the club; while some schools may have breaks in February.

Personally, I love the smaller ships, however, we enjoyed our last cruise on the the mega Getaway - loved all the options, but did not love the layout (although not a biggie) - this was also our first cruise on NCL.

Hi Everyone

We have never sailed with NCL before (only 1 royal caribbean and 2 carnivals on our belt). We'd like to try NCL for a week long Eastern Caribbean cruise. It would be me, hubby and 9 year old son. I did want to try DCL but the prices are just too high for us right now. I'm thinking of October of this year or February 2018. We prefer the mid-size ships to the mega's they all seem to be building now. Is NCL good for someone our son's age? Will we enjoy it as well? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

i believe that all NCL ships have activities suitable for kids.I was on the Gem 4 years ago with my then 9 year old grand daughter and she has a wonderful time.