Check to see if you are part of the Class Action Lawsuit - if you received a call ...

MarcelLucSell

Got to wonder if this is just for gathering phone numbers so they can spam you.

I entering my number, it was not on the list,

Then entered it again and it was on the list.

Seems random. If it said everyone was on the list then one would think it was fake news.

Strange

I entered in mine, nothing. But, I *know* I've gotten those phone calls. It's gotten to the point where unless your number is saved in my phone - no answer.

My cell was there but not home or DWs.

According to my phone log, the call was never answered and never left a voice mail. The number was placed on my reject list a day or so later so it never showed up again and I'd have zero idea of what was being hawked. These settlements take forever. The hearing date isn't until next April and if you then count 18-24 months before any money is sent out, it'll be 2020/2021 before you see what will mostly likely be a very small amount after the lawyers take their cut.

Both my husband's and my son's cell numbers were on there....although I have received those calls, my number was not. We'll see what happens....they were rather pesky, those calls! Glad to see someone is stopping them.

My cell was there but not home or DWs.

According to my phone log, the call was never answered and never left a voice mail. The number was placed on my reject list a day or so later so it never showed up again and I'd have zero idea of what was being hawked. These settlements take forever. The hearing date isn't until next April and if you then count 18-24 months before any money is sent out, it'll be 2020/2021 before you see what will mostly likely be a very small amount after the lawyers take their cut.

and if it buys me a drink on my next cruise i will be happy to take it

For all those thinking it will be nothing or maybe $2-25 years ago I saw and ad in a magazine in a doctor's office about false claims on diamonds. I tore out the page out (heavens forbid!) and went home to check out the website. Well lo and behold I had bought my wife some of those diamonds. I filled out the stuff online and promptly forgot about it. Well about 7 years later I get a check in the mail for almost a $1000 from the settlement! Go figure.

I had one number out of 5 that came up valid for the robocalls. Waiting for the 7 years to get the check!

For all those thinking it will be nothing or maybe $2-25 years ago I saw and ad in a magazine in a doctor's office about false claims on diamonds. I tore out the page out (heavens forbid!) and went home to check out the website. Well lo and behold I had bought my wife some of those diamonds. I filled out the stuff online and promptly forgot about it. Well about 7 years later I get a check in the mail for almost a $1000 from the settlement! Go figure.

I had one number out of 5 that came up valid for the robocalls. Waiting for the 7 years to get the check!

If you have a number that is included, then by all means apply. All I'm saying is don't expect a lot. If you get the full $300 per call then woo hoo. If not, then don't be disappointed. I guarantee a whole lot less people saw that advertisement in the magazine than already know about this suit. Once the lawyers get their 33.33% and split the rest amongst the tons of people that make a claim, I'm thinking it won't be a whole lot. At any rate, even if it's a few bucks, it's a few more than you had.

Is this suit against carnival??? Think they would bar filers from cruising??

The other way around... Carnival sued them... and their lawyers probably are at a set rate (might be in-house). I would also think that the amount that has been set aside would be calculated by the total number of potential "robocalls" that were made during the 2009-2014 timeframe in the targeted areas. I doubt a number was just pulled out of.... well you can guess where.

That 'free cruise' call could get you up to $900 because of a class action lawsuit

http://www.wtsp.com/travel/that-free-cruise-call-could-get-you-up-to-900-because-of-a-class-action-lawsuit/464554172

See the link inside the article to check your phone number, if you had received one of these calls.

Thanks for the INFO!

Just filed my claim, cant wait for my big check...5$, 5 or so years from now.

Hopefully, it be more, but my exp w/CA suits, is by the time the lawyers are paid.... there is not much left:cool:

Still, any amount is better than nothing.....

Maybe this is the beginning of an enforcement of the Do Not Call List..... a welcome thing:)

The other way around... Carnival sued them... and their lawyers probably are at a set rate (might be in-house). I would also think that the amount that has been set aside would be calculated by the total number of potential "robocalls" that were made during the 2009-2014 timeframe in the targeted areas. I doubt a number was just pulled out of.... well you can guess where.

I don't think the first part of this statement is correct. The lawsuit is styled with Carnival Corporation as one of the Defendants, along with Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd, and a group called Resort Marketing Group.

There is a settlement fund of between $7M and $12.5M, which will first be used to pay attorneys' fees (which will be substantial) and expenses, a little bonus to the class representative (named plaintiff Phillip Charvat) and notice costs. Then, whatever is left over will be divided up among those who file claims, with a maximum of $300 per call (up to 3 calls) per line.

ETA: It appears that the Defendants did sue the named plaintiff in a separate action, because he had recorded the phone calls. He lived in Ohio (a one party consent state) and the call was made from Illinois (a two party consent state). They said he violated Illinois law by recording. That lawsuit was ultimately dismissed.

Edited by Pops, Esq.

I just looked. Based on some "for examples" that listed 20,000 claims as a 5% response rate and 40,000 claims as a 10% response rate, it appears they calculate there to be as many as 400,000 potential claims.

Attorneys are asking for 1/3 of the total award for fees with attorney expenses of about $211k and administration expenses of about $800k. The expected incentive for the class representative is $50k.

I once got a check for $1.37. After posting pics on FB and showing it around for laughs, I think it got lost. Also got a $500 voucher to purchase a new exploding Chevy truck. I don't know if it was transferable, but I gave it away. The best was a refund of interest for buying appliances from our power company. 2X $239. I liked that one.