If you got a call offering a free cruise, you might be entitled to at least $300

Fla Mike

It's amazing how many people post things on Facebook' date=' including RIPs for a celebrity (often they see a link for an old story and don't check the date). I try to check out such stories before I "share." Snopes and some other fact finder sites are pretty useful (IMDB is useful for anyone in show business as they're pretty good about checking out deaths before changing a bio). A friend kept PMing me last summer with various things she heard about one candidate, and I would post links that refute that info...but she seemed to want to believe her iffy sources.

I checked my landline and cell number...not on that list (right now I can't remember my old cell phone number, but I think I can look for it and check as it was still active til last year or late in 2015. We don't pick up our landline unless we're expecting a call and turn on the bell. Our answering machine does get a lot of hang ups and "hello, hello" calls or calls stating one of our first names as if we'll think it's a friend (we're guessing sales calls where the caller is hoping we'll pick up, but if we're near the answering machine, and we don't recognize the voice....forget it).

It's harder on my cell phone as I can't screen calls other than the caller ID. Since I have a plan with 100 minutes/month, I don't want to risk minutes on a telemarketer. If it's an out-of-state caller, I'm not answering it. Lately, I was getting someone starting with the "as you've been at this resort...." calls. I either hang up immediately or yell at them "not I haven't". I try to mark those calls with the words telemarketer or sales call so I won't pick up any calls from those numbers in the future.

I truly wish that Do Not Call Registry actually worked.[/quote']

Just wondering if you've tried blocking the calls (we have this capability on both our landline phone and cellphones) so you don't have to worry marking them as telemarketers. Our cell phones have always had that capability, but we purchased a new Panasonic landline phone (Costco), just because it had the "block this number" function. It's great because the landline will ring once, and then show "caller blocked". Very satisfying!

It does say that if there are too many claims then the awards will be smaller... I would imagine there will be a lot of claims.

The settlement requires the cruise lines to pay between $7million and $12.5 million into a fund "for the benefit of millions of consumers," which to me means at least 2 million consumers. The lawyers want (and will likely get) one-third of the fund, plus their expenses ($200,000+ so far); subtract another estimated $800,000 for claims administration, and that leaves about $7 million for claimants. If only half (1 million) of the consumers file a claim, and for only one phone number each, that's $7 for each claimant.

I'm surprised they didn't offer OBC.

The settlement requires the cruise lines to pay between $7million and $12.5 million into a fund "for the benefit of millions of consumers," which to me means at least 2 million consumers. The lawyers want (and will likely get) one-third of the fund, plus their expenses ($200,000+ so far); subtract another estimated $800,000 for claims administration, and that leaves about $7 million for claimants. If only half (1 million) of the consumers file a claim, and for only one phone number each, that's $7 for each claimant.

I'm surprised they didn't offer OBC.

Reminds me of Steve Martin in The Jerk. He loses a class action suit for something like $10 million. In one scene he is writing out checks to the claimants in the amount of $1.09 each. Class actions pretty much benefit lawyers. I have a check stuck on the wall in my computer room. It seems I was (unknowingly) part of a class action suit against eBay one time in the past. Out of the blue I got a letter explaining that the suit had been settled and a check was enclosed in the amount of $0.09. Yep, a whopping nine cents. I never cashed it and it is now on the wall next to the check I received from the bank when I paid of my mortgage. It seems I overpaid when I paid off my mortgage so the bank sent me a check for two cents.