MDR vs buffet dining

planner123456

Same here. Last cruise on the Royal, except for a few times here & there we ate in the Horizons. We got to know all the servers by name & they had our drinks ready as soon as they saw us. ;)

After reserving a table and coming from the buffet station, our drinks were also on the table without being ordered. Not only the food but the extra attention encourages us to come back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm really surprised that small balcony size hasn't hurt their sales especially since they don't even offer an outside cabin.

Balcony size just isn't that important to most cruisers. They spend their time near the pool or elsewhere. We get a cabin with a large balcony so we don't have to put up with the crowds around the pool. FWIW, shade is as important as the size of the balcony.

After reserving a table and coming from the buffet station, our drinks were also on the table without being ordered. Not only the food but the extra attention encourages us to come back.

What do you mean "reserving a table"? How did you do that? I thought it was open seating in the buffet.

Thanks.

We are pretty diehard MDR folks but the Royal came the closest to converting us. We very much enjoyed their buffet and the different themed nights that were offered. German night was a personal favorite with sausages, sauerkraut, red cabbage, chicken schnitzel, all of which were very good.

What do you mean "reserving a table"? How did you do that? I thought it was open seating in the buffet.

Thanks.

By "reserving" they simply meant laying something on the table while they got their food. ie a jacket, book, drinks.

There is no formal reservations similar to the DR.

Thanks.

Upon entering Horizon Court, we first find a table. We tell the waiter we will be seated on the table and will just get food at the buffet station. The waiter puts a glass of water on the table while getting our usually seved drink, indicating that the table is occupied. Most often, we also leave something invaluable on the table.

When an available table needed us to share with others, we request the guest if we can share the table and be seated with them. The waiter then knows where we are seated.

So it is an on-the-spot table reservation, not pre-reserved with Dine Line that you may be thinking.

By "reserving" they simply meant laying something on the table while they got their food. ie a jacket, book, drinks.

There is no formal reservations similar to the DR.

OK, but I still don't get how this translates into drinks arriving automatically. Should I assume they established a rapport with one or more of the dining room staff and ensured the personnel knew where they were sitting each night? This sounds like an excellent system and I want to be sure I've captured the nuances.

Thanks.

OK, but I still don't get how this translates into drinks arriving automatically. Should I assume they established a rapport with one or more of the dining room staff and ensured the personnel knew where they were sitting each night? This sounds like an excellent system and I want to be sure I've captured the nuances.

Thanks.

We tend to eat at the buffet so many times in the evening (usually in the same area) that the wait staff gets to know what we like to drink. We also get to know them by name so that also helps.

Upon entering Horizon Court, we first find a table. We tell the waiter we will be seated on the table and will just get food at the buffet station. The waiter puts a glass of water on the table while getting our usually seved drink, indicating that the table is occupied. Most often, we also leave something invaluable on the table.

When an available table needed us to share with others, we request the guest if we can share the table and be seated with them. The waiter then knows where we are seated.

So it is an on-the-spot table reservation, not pre-reserved with Dine Line that you may be thinking.

Perfect, thanks. I posted my last question before seeing this.