Very Long Cruises are overpriced

drsel

I'm doing an 80-day cruise, as a single, this year. It takes me to places I want to see, I have the time and the money, so why not. My question was never how much would it cost, but is this a trip I want to take. I'm retired and deserve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A perfect example of a willing buyer finding a willing seller; indeed, why not?

I suspect that those who feel such things are overpriced really do not like the concept of a free market, and might be happier in a society where such matters were centralized, so that no one could enjoy things which they themselves could not afford.

I thought that the problem was solved and the case closed.[emoji6]

To answer your question--

It's the "Robin Hood" principle of life.

Anything better is much more expensive. eg) Balcony cabins are much more expensive than Inside cabins.

Cos they know that folks who want better can afford to pay much more than the budget conscious. So, the cruise lines often cross subsidize and exploit the rich.

Similarly, if you can get an Ocean view cabin on a 14 night cruise for $1000, why would you pay $12000 for the same cabin on the same ship for a 70 night cruise?

There's no cross-subsidy involved. Cross-subsidy is where a profitable part of the business subsidises a loss-making part. The inside cabins are still profitable, otherwise they wouldn't sell them; they're just not as profitable as the outside and balcony cabins.

"Free-market pricing" for cruises? LOL. As if the retail product and service sector is a "free market."

I suspect OP is using brouchure prices for his long cruise price base. Who pays that? Go on line to the line shortly after receiving your catelog and almost always you will be offered a lower price. Then go to an on line TA, probably even lower considering OBC and similar offers. Daring, wait until final payment date. Perhaps a bargain.

As far as the inexpensive Caribbean cruises being "subsidized," they are. By you and me in the form of high per diem, on average, on board spending that drives the real per diem price way up.

"Free-market pricing" for cruises? LOL. As if the retail product and service sector is a "free market."

Free-market pricing exists unless there is collusion among competitors to price fix - so are you accusing the management of the several main-stream cruise lines of collusion? By the way, price leadership - where one competitor raises prices and others decide to follow - is not contrary to free-market pricing so long as there is no back-room, price-fixing collusion.

I suspect OP is using brouchure prices for his long cruise price base. Who pays that? Go on line to the line shortly after receiving your catelog and almost always you will be offered a lower price. Then go to an on line TA, probably even lower considering OBC and similar offers. Daring, wait until final payment date. Perhaps a bargain.

As far as the inexpensive Caribbean cruises being "subsidized," they are. By you and me in the form of high per diem, on average, on board spending that drives the real per diem price way up.

Happy Cruising