gift bags for room stewards

jfer1977

Not in the eyes of kids who did better but were relegated in order to satisfy the teacher's sensibilities.

If the teacher wanted to do something nice for the kid that is great. Doing it at the expense of the other kids is not so great.

Some people learn compassion instead of competition.

What the teacher did may have ingrained the lesson of compassion in some .

I learned a lot from my teachers.

[quote name=slidergirl;53890044. They are away from their families for years at a time for one thing: to make money. I don't think they want to say "kids' date=' I didn't make any tips this time so I can't buy you that iPad you wanted. BUT, here are some magnets and keychains I got from guests instead."

And, no one is deriding everyone. There actually have been people on CC who have bragged about giving special "gifts" to staff, including the photos of the CCer, and said the staff loved them. They don't comprehend that service staff are trained to always show appreciation when in the Front of the House, and to feel free to roll eyes and joke about the gift and put it in the circular file...[/quote]

Their contracts are for months, and most are in touch with family often on social media.

When and where do they get the training you reference??

The crew members I know are honest sincere people. They are not frauds as described on these boards.

Hmm...maybe these gift givers are on to something. In all the years I worked, I forgot about all my Christmas bonouses that were cash. They only one that sticks in my mind was the time I got a coupon for a turkey to get at the supermarket.

The cash ones were better.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

I love the frozen turkey I get at thanksgiving from my boss and at Christmas we all get to select a bakery quality pie from our corporate cafeteria.

We all love it and recognize that our boss goes out of his way to get us a varied selection of pies

I would never expect him to give us cash at Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a bunch of utter nonsense.

If folks want to keep on giving a gift bag, the contents of which have a high probability of ending up in the garbage can, than do so if if gathering up the contents give you satisfaction.

We will take the easy way out and make sure that 100 percent of our gift is appreciated. Cash.

Cash is king for the hardworking folks on a cruise ship. They don't work for candy, tshirts, or trinkets. They work for money.

Gifting at a school is totally different than gifting a stranger who is living in a 6x10 cabin with another person. No room for anything. They are away from their families for years at a time for one thing: to make money. I don't think they want to say "kids, I didn't make any tips this time so I can't buy you that iPad you wanted. BUT, here are some magnets and keychains I got from guests instead."

And, no one is deriding everyone. There actually have been people on CC who have bragged about giving special "gifts" to staff, including the photos of the CCer, and said the staff loved them. They don't comprehend that service staff are trained to always show appreciation when in the Front of the House, and to feel free to roll eyes and joke about the gift and put it in the circular file...

I don't think you got the drift of my post. I wasn't saying the two things are the same.

I never said I gave gifts to my students (I sort of can't as a general rule anyway) and I also realise the logistics of a cabin and how touristy gifts are not on everyone's list. I didn't suggest they would take stuff back for their kids either.

I was simply illustrating with my story that when you are away from the ones you love...as crew are sometimes money/an Ipad isn't everything (even though you are working for it) on a lonely and bleak day. Its the things like kind words, company and sentiments can perk you up and if someone has kindly left a small chocolate egg for you the thought is there even if you don't eat it or take it. You know that someone for one moment has thought about you.

I was simply illustrating with my story that when you are away from the ones you love...as crew are sometimes money/an Ipad isn't everything (even though you are working for it) on a lonely and bleak day. Its the things like kind words, company and sentiments can perk you up and if someone has kindly left a small chocolate egg for you the thought is there even if you don't eat it or take it. You know that someone for one moment has thought about you.

I believe there is a big difference in how children react versus adults trying to make a living for themselves and their families back home. It is one thing to give a kid a piece of chocolate, but I would bet if you ask any crew member if they would rather get a piece of candy, a trinket, a t-shirt or cash, they would all say cash. Maybe those that give gifts should ask the crew members if they would prefer a gift or cash, if they really want to know. Edited by NLH Arizona

Sure, give cash; however, if you want to wrap it around a Hershey bar to make it more personal, go ahead. I've rarely met anyone who didn't appreciate someone going "one step above" to say thank you, and I've rarely met anyone who wouldn't enjoy a sweet treat -- or, if it wasn't his or her taste, didn't know someone to whom it could be passed.

Sure, give cash; however, if you want to wrap it around a Hershey bar to make it more personal, go ahead. I've rarely met anyone who didn't appreciate someone going "one step above" to say thank you, and I've rarely met anyone who wouldn't enjoy a sweet treat -- or, if it wasn't his or her taste, didn't know someone to whom it could be passed.

What if they have diabetes? You are giving them a "treat" that they can't eat.

DON