Mexico Warning

BellaBaci4

I will also be stopping in two Mexican ports in October, Cozumel and Costa Maya. We have excursions booked at both, one through NCL and the other private. They are actually our BIG excursions of the cruise. I believe the Cozumel one is close to port, but the other includes quite a bit of travel time, including going to Mayan village. I wouldn't cancel, but I do hate that this now has to be in the back of my mind. I can see my family begging me not to go with my DH and DD and then something happening. I can't imagine the "I told you so's!" These excursion places make SO much money. Maybe their security detail will be at more high alert. They definitely don't want to ruin the bread and butter of tourism.

My daughter had her wedding in Cozumel last October, and we returned there this year on a cruise. Maybe it's because we speak Spanish (well, DH is fluent, I get by) , but we never had a problem, or heard of any for others. There is a certain amount of petty crime, but violence against tourists is extremely rare. I consider Cozumel to be pretty safe, but I always pay attention to my surroundings, same as I would in any other place I don't know well.

We are taking a Panama Canal cruise next year on the Star, and it will stop in Acapulco, and Cabo. We may just take ship excursions, but will research private tour operators. Acapulco has had a reputation for problems for years, Cabo, much less so, but that means we will be careful and pay attention to any recommendations or restrictions on travel areas.

Can violence happen? Sure, it's possible, even with all the care and precautions we take. But is it likely? I don't really think so, so unless something happens, I think most of us on cruises will have a good time visiting Mexico.

I have been going to Cancun and Riviera Maya every year since 1981 and these tourist areas have become dangerous if you are not careful. I personally have been approached numerous times to buy drugs, ladies of the evening and other ridiculous things. One woman asked my mother if she wanted to buy her child. I have been extorted by the police and will no longer set food in the tourist section of Cancun. My only visits now are stays in AI's in Riviera Maya where I get off the plane and a limo takes me to the resort and a week later I get back on the plane. I am now considering moving my timeshare weeks out of Mexico since the discovery of the use of tainted alcohol which resulted in the death of a young girl recently. The reason for the recent warning is because of the influx of gangs and the drug cartels into the tourist areas. There are much safer places to vacation IMHO.

Yes. I think I'd feel safer while on a cruise that stopped by, but I am going to avoid Mexican land-based vacations because of reports like this. Here's an article about a couple that was drugged with tainted alcohol. Scary.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/08/16/blackout-victims-mexico-resorts-have-little-hope-justice/565961001/

Of course, the world is a dangerous place, and danger can happen anywhere, even in your own backyard. But when you read a story like this which appears to indicate that tourists are being targeted, even tourists in a supposedly safe resort... that's scary.

There are two competing narratives on this forum when this topic comes up. The first is "thousands and thousands killed in Mexico, families suffer" and the other is "its the same as anywhere else, don't worry about it."

Curious.

Maybe not the same as anywhere else but definitely the same as Chicago.

Would rather just stay onboard having been to that port anyway. Hard to enjoy the place while tensed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are staying on ship when in Cozumel, but partly because i have lost count on how many times we have been there. Otherwise I would still get off the ship. We are undecided about Costa Maya.

The first paragraph on the British Crown's advisory for Mexico reads:

There’s currently an increased police presence in Los Cabos following a shooting on Palmilla Beach on 6 August 2017. This follows shooting incidents earlier this year in Playa del Carmen and Cancun. You should follow the advice of the local authorities and your tour operator. See Safety and Security

You can read it yourself here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mexico That does sound fairly similar to (though less specific than) the statement from the US State Department. Perhaps the US government is more specific on Mexico travel warnings because orders of magnitude more Americans visit Mexico each year than do Brits (Over 27 million in 2016 vs 514k).

I honestly think this has to do with the US President. Sounds like he wants to hurt Mexico by less US tourists going there and spending money. I am not usually that person, but just seems timely that there is this warning now after he has made it very obvious how he feels about Mexico. There have always been warnings, but this one hits tourist sites in particular. Just very interesting. I know there are safety concerns everywhere. But there are A LOT of people that are currently cancelling trips and not going because of this.

If US government say nothing and something bad happens to US travellers in Mexico, I am sure you and the usual suspect media will jump all over the President for failing to warn US citizens of the obvious danger in Mexico.

We are staying on ship when in Cozumel, but partly because i have lost count on how many times we have been there. Otherwise I would still get off the ship. We are undecided about Costa Maya.

Aw, come on Nita - you know you want to get another T-Shirt. And maybe some of those so cheap highly valuable Diamonds!

I am sure the families of the over 12,000 people killed this year in Mexico would love for it to be fake news.

Almost tied with Chicago.

I don't believe anything in the news now. You can't trust them for the truth. We have been to Mexico a dozen times in 4 different ports and have never felt threatened in any way. It amazes me that today"s society is afraid of everything.

I don't believe anything in the news now. You can't trust them for the truth. We have been to Mexico a dozen times in 4 different ports and have never felt threatened in any way. It amazes me that today"s society is afraid of everything.

So you think the U.S. State Department issued a warning for no good reason? I have no doubt that you felt safe during your visits, but the State Department is saying there is increased danger, whether you choose to believe them or not largely depends on your perception. It's not a matter of being "afraid of everything". It's a matter of being vigilant.

Would you travel to Iraq as a tourist right now? If you say no, does that make you "afraid of everything"?

Everything always appears safe... until it's not. For years people have been warning about the dangers of travelling carnival rides that show up annually at state fairs and village carnivals. People always said that they weren't safe because they weren't bolted down and there wasn't as much maintenance. Thousands of people continued to go on those rides anyways. Then there was the accident at the Ohio State Fair, and now people are saying, maybe they were never safe, and we were always just lucky.

The big difference is if you get into trouble in US, you can usually count on 911 for assistance. If the same happens in Mexico, you are likely lost, disoriented and on your own due to language barrier (unless you know enough Spanish) and unfamiliar surrounding.

Almost tied with Chicago.

I agree! Too many snowflakes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree! Too many snowflakes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well...I am no snowflake by any means. But I am old enough and wise enough to pay full attention to warnings that hold truth and are valid....another words, if they tell me to evacuate due to a hurricane I will be the first one out. I am not stupid! I will be in Mexico this coming January on Breakaway. I will not be staying on the ship, but I also will not be going off on my own adventures either. It will be a NCL excursion or none at all. At 68, I have to protect the precious years I have left.