Galveston weather concerns

I worked for USAA for over 10 yrs selling flood insurance and what most don't know is that normal home insurance for people not located in FEMA flood zones does not provide any coverage for rising water (flooding caused by a hurricane). You have to specifically purchase flood coverage from FEMA in addition to your homeowners coverage. Most people do not. The only damage from water covered by your homeowners is that done by water that originates from inside the home, such as broken water pipe, leaking plumbing, etc. Water that enters the home from outside it is not covered by any insurance company, only by FEMA coverage.

Only those in flood zones with FEMA coverage or those who purchased the coverage by choice will be covered by this event. Most of Houston is not in a flood zone and do not have flood coverage from FEMA. Those on the coast next to the ocean are forced to carry FEMA coverage because they are usually in a COBRA or mandatory flood coverage zone. This flood coverage is not part of an insurance companies coverage and they only sell this coverage for the government...the monies come from FEMA itself.

Therefore, most flood damage caused by this storm will not be covered and people can only rely on special low interest loans provided by FEMA and the government to rebuild.

The reality is no amount of foresight can prepare people for this kind of event. And hindsight is pretty cheap.:confused:

Which specific statement is it? I see several highlighted.

The ONE highlighted above.

Can we dissolve the insurance discussion please. As I said before every single claim is unique in itself as in the insurance industry there is not one size fits all. There are so many if ands buts...

Meanwhile TS Irma has developed and is projected on a west path to be outside the carribean in around one week.

Same thing with Charley/Frances/Jeanne in Florida. Been there, fortunately had no damage, but had friends that did who lived in hotels for a month--and the hotels weren't allowed to kick them out even though others had bookings.

My inlaws lived in a hotel for a month after Katrina and they couldn't wait to get an apartment so they could leave. There was no place more distressing and depressing than the hotel. The mood was not stable there.

My inlaws lived in a hotel for a month after Katrina and they couldn't wait to get an apartment so they could leave. There was no place more distressing and depressing than the hotel. The mood was not stable there.

And since this is a Royal site, add CCL to your depressing list. Nothing more depressing than a Carnival Ship. [emoji23]

We see from your signature that you have never cruised on Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reports from the port of galveston post (in the comments) say that Carnival Breeze is letting people get off in New Orleans again on Thursday to allow people the chance to go home in alternate ways since they have no idea when the port will open. They are currently anchored in the river apparently next to Valor.

#notfakenews

And since this is a Royal site, add CCL to your depressing list. Nothing more depressing than a Carnival Ship. [emoji23]

We see from your signature that you have never cruised on Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ooh, you #burned me there. I guess you also noticed that I 90% cruise from NOLA. I was excited to try RCL when they next port in NOLA, but likely not now.

Sorry I'm telling you a civil disaster in the 4th largest city takes precedent over your next cruise. #sorry

Can we dissolve the insurance discussion please. As I said before every single claim is unique in itself as in the insurance industry there is not one size fits all. There are so many if ands buts...

Meanwhile TS Irma has developed and is projected on a west path to be outside the carribean in around one week.

I see what you did there. :halo:

I have been posting on RCI's Facebook page the past couple days about what happened to the guests who booked the 8/27 Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. Had some conversations with a few people who booked the 8/27 sailing who are currently trapped in the Houston or Galveston area, and others booked but not trapped, along with posting links to an online news article of a couple from Oklahoma who was caught up in this mess, and having travel insurance did not help them. There was also a post from a woman asking very politely to please cancel this weekend's cruise along with her reasoning why.

ALL of these posts, along with the others who have been commenting, have been deleted by RCI.

Only Carnival Cruises departing thru 08.31.17 have been cancelled at this point. Sunday's sailing is still up in the air just like LOS.

Myself & a friend are scheduled for RCI Sunday and our work friend is scheduled on Carnival. We're all cautiously optimistic that we will all sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister has a neighbor that drove in to Houston this morning no problems. She lives in Tiki Island (Galveston)

My son went into the office in Sugar Land this morning to get his assignment he is headed to Corpus Christi to assess one of our projects.

Both airports have road access to them. They are holding off on flights because of all the rescue helicopters are in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can vouch for this. It's only been half a week and we're going stir crazy in our hotel room here in Houston, bout ten minutes from IAH. I have to commend the work that the staff did, trying to keep it as stable as possible. Because of the rain and overflow, our entire hotel was surrounded by a lake. We're fortunate enough that the water didnt rise high enough to flood the hotel, and has now receeded to the road. Hope your fam has recovered everything and more that they lost!

My sister has a neighbor that drove in to Houston this morning no problems. She lives in Tiki Island (Galveston)

My son went into the office in Sugar Land this morning to get his assignment he is headed to Corpus Christi to assess one of our projects.

Both airports have road access to them. They are holding off on flights because of all the rescue helicopters are in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And as the flood waters recede the choppers will be less as they are switched to ground crew. From the traffic web cameras there is a lot of traffic movement, even with some roads still being shut. It sounds as though some areas around and in Houston are running while others are unfortunately far from it.

I have been posting on RCI's Facebook page the past couple days about what happened to the guests who booked the 8/27 Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. Had some conversations with a few people who booked the 8/27 sailing who are currently trapped in the Houston or Galveston area, and others booked but not trapped, along with posting links to an online news article of a couple from Oklahoma who was caught up in this mess, and having travel insurance did not help them. There was also a post from a woman asking very politely to please cancel this weekend's cruise along with her reasoning why.

ALL of these posts, along with the others who have been commenting, have been deleted by RCI.

It's not just RCI, but I always found that over moderating on social media leads to more questions than anything else. Sometimes you have to let people go as long as it's civil.

367a9dd29764cfbe554944ec43768872.jpg

Power outages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This looks much worse that it is. Over 96% of customers have power. The percent without power has never been below 95%. Basically if you aren't flooded, you have power. Less than 10% of homes were flooded. Hotel availability may be a issue, but the roads are largely clear now. Everyone is getting out today. There's a lot of cabin fever. Don't judge the whole area by what you see on the TV and social media. Ordinary lives don't make a story.

Can vouch for this. It's only been half a week and we're going stir crazy in our hotel room here in Houston, bout ten minutes from IAH. I have to commend the work that the staff did, trying to keep it as stable as possible. Because of the rain and overflow, our entire hotel was surrounded by a lake. We're fortunate enough that the water didnt rise high enough to flood the hotel, and has now receeded to the road. Hope your fam has recovered everything and more that they lost!

Yes, they did make major changes even though their house in the GNO area didn't flood. (They evacuated away from the city and then got stuck not being able to get back because of on going resue operations and the conditions of the destroyed new orleans area/lack of infrastructure). They wound up buying a house ten minutes from us after ten months in an apartment (they were elderly and we had numerous small kids, so they chose an apartment over living with us lol).

During the time New Orleans had no safe living conditions after the water went down-- it was ironic because *roads were open and clear* but there were no people in the area driving on them.

You can see how experience has taught me that open roads don't mean much in a disaster.

The residents will make do. My parents went back early after katrina (my DH is medical/first responder and got them in with him). They ate MREs from red cross and found out it takes 2.5 gallons of bottled water to take a crisis shower.

This looks much worse that it is. Over 96% of customers have power. The percent without power has never been below 95%. Basically if you aren't flooded, you have power. Less than 10% of homes were flooded. Hotel availability may be a issue, but the roads are largely clear now. Everyone is getting out today. There's a lot of cabin fever. Don't judge the whole area by what you see on the TV and social media. Ordinary lives don't make a story.

I'm judging from my friends who live in the general Houston area-- one in Richmond who may have a mandatory flood evacuation today even though so far she has been high and dry.

ETA: she just updated that the river appears to have crested and it looks like they won't have to evacuate now.

Edited by spleenstomper

Better a hotel than a public shelter. That said, I spend a lot of time in hotels with business travel, and regardless of how nice it is, there's nothing like being in your own home.

I hope you can get home soon! What a nightmare for you. HUGS

Better a hotel than a public shelter. That said, I spend a lot of time in hotels with business travel, and regardless of how nice it is, there's nothing like being in your own home.

Absolutely!!!

There was a teen on the floor above them who was so bored that he bounced a basketball on the floor seelingly 24/7. That was the thing that nearly drove the inlaws crazy! :eek: