Galveston weather concerns

To be fair, they were discussing places for the displaced/flood victims. But every thread on here seems to go sideways. :halo:

Someone posted about what to do with the passengers... Concerned that there's no way to deal with the passengers coming off of the ship.

And someone else posted that only 10% homes were flooded.

So the math is pretty easy for this.

Using a BAD assumption that the entire ship came from the effected area in Houston- but evenly distributed. That would mean of the MAX 4960 passengers, that would mean 496 would be from a home that was flooded.

The rest would probably be ok.

It's more likely that there are only ~4000 passengers, and probably 1/3 of them don't come from Houston, so the number of displaced that are coming home are somewhere less than 300. While that sucks terribly bad, it's not that many.

It's also been posted that roads are drying up. So by the time they get back on Friday, it's likely that many of the roads will be passable. And that will improve until they are forced to leave the ship on Saturday (again, it's been posted that they can stay on board to at least Saturday).

All in all, it's seems both likely and sensible that the Liberty return to Galveston on Friday. Which will mean many people who are very worried about their homes will be able to go back and see them. I would think RCI are far more heartless if they prevent Houston area residents to not return to their area.

The numbers just make sense.

Also, regarding the sense of having another cruise- why not? It's been posted that if you were in the area that was flooded, RCI is giving refunds. So if you can't make it because of the flood, you will be ok.

It's also good to start running businesses so that there is income returning to the area- however minor RCI's part to that is. It also gives people something to do instead of staring at their ruined homes.

The mayor did say that both airports will open at 4, but both airports have not indicated that is happening.

Limited flights because of the over a hundred helicopters in the air doing rescue work.

the mayor got his information from the airports

Can we get civil?

CC is here for the benefit of us cruise fans and those that would like to be.

We're scheduled for the 9/3 Liberty sailing as well as others who are probably monitoring this thread for guidance and comfort. We're still debating whether or not to use our "cancel anytime" insurance to recover 75% towards another cruise.

What I'm seeing is a complete meltdown of the thread that now features political issues, arguments among know-it-alls, and statistics about Houston that, whether right or wrong, are meaningless to addressing the issue at hand.

Moderators, please make them stop!

Heads up, Southwest is cancelling flights to Houston thru Sept 4. We're going to San Antonio.

I don't see that on their website. This is what is mentioned currently:

Flights to/from Houston Hobby (HOU) have been suspended.

Please do not attempt to reach HOU until local authorities provide further direction.

We will continue monitoring HOU conditions and provide updates as information becomes available.

Due to lasting impacts from Tropical Storm Harvey and to provide our Houston Customers additional flexibility, ticketed Passengers traveling to and from Houston may change their origin or destination without paying any additional charge to Austin (AUS), Corpus Christi (CRP), Dallas (DAL) or San Antonio (SAT) if their original dates of travel are between Thursday, August 24 through Tuesday, September 12.

Another two weeks worth of flights that they're offering to reschedule without charge. That is excellent customer service.

Can we get civil?

We're scheduled for the 9/3 Liberty sailing as well as others who are probably monitoring this thread for guidance and comfort. We're still debating whether or not to use our "cancel anytime" insurance to recover 75% towards another cruise.

What I'm seeing is a complete meltdown of the thread that now features political issues, arguments among know-it-alls, and statistics about Houston that, whether right or wrong, are meaningless to addressing the issue at hand.

You only need to cancel your cruise prior to the ship leaving port to use your insurance, so, personally, I would wait until the very last second to cancel.

Folks are still really hyper focused on I45...ignoring the possibility that travelers may need to fill up for gas, stop for some food, pull off of the main drag for a variety of reasons (like a flat tire or a big wreck on the road)

FYI all the way up in Dallas, we've already seen some gas stations out of unleaded (because of the oil refinery shut down). Not all, by any stretch of the imagination, but enough that our employer suggested we might want to top off whenever we have the opportunity this week.

Travel is still discouraged on all the roads in question, even if it is possible.

Can we get civil?

I am on the sailing with you. Luckily I live here in Texas and don't have to deal with flight issues, just a 5 hour drive.

If you can change your flight to San Antonio or Austin you can rent a car and drive. Austin is about 30 minutes closer. So 3.5 or 4 hour drive.

All the major highways are free of flooding and roads to get to the port are passable from everything I've seen and read.

Please check drivetexas.org which shows all the flooded and closed roads. Be sure to maximize the area you are traveling to see if the closure is on the highway or a side road.

Hope to see you onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get civil?

Sticking to cruise related topics. Here's the worst part for scheduled passengers. The cruise line is waiting until the last minute to make a decision for these cruises.

You have to make a choice whether to try and cruise or not. Using your "cancel for any reason" insurance won't get you all your money back. If the cruise is cancelled, you'd get your money back at 100%, either from the cruise line or your insurance company. But, if you've already utilized your "cancel for any reason," and you have to make this choice within a set number of hours before your trip begins, you'll only get a percentage of your costs back.

Really difficult to know what to do. Good luck.

You might look at the two pictures I posted up above of Galveston yesterday with no political or other comment...and just be sure you know for sure that there is a viable open and passable route you can take to get from Houston to Galveston...and just make sure the Port of Galveston is open.

We always take the Sam Houston Tollway to and from Galveston. Yesterday it still had 16-18 ft. of water in some of the underpasses.

And just recall that last week the Port of Galveston closed and their spokesman said it would not open until at least Tuesday [it's still not open today] and yet RCL directed Liberty to leave Cozumel and head toward the closed port..their meteorologist claiming he foresaw a "window" to allow last Sunday's turnaround day to happen [in a closed port, apparently] and so people came for the 8-27 sailing which was officially canceled way too late and some of them are now trapped in hotels in Houston and Galveston at their own expense.

No politics..just the facts.

You only need to cancel your cruise prior to the ship leaving port to use your insurance, so, personally, I would wait until the very last second to cancel.

That's incorrect information. "Cancel for any reason" coverage requires you to cancel within a set number of hours before your trip begins. You can't wait until "the very last second."

I don't see that on their website. This is what is mentioned currently:

Flights to/from Houston Hobby (HOU) have been suspended.

Please do not attempt to reach HOU until local authorities provide further direction.

We will continue monitoring HOU conditions and provide updates as information becomes available.

Due to lasting impacts from Tropical Storm Harvey and to provide our Houston Customers additional flexibility, ticketed Passengers traveling to and from Houston may change their origin or destination without paying any additional charge to Austin (AUS), Corpus Christi (CRP), Dallas (DAL) or San Antonio (SAT) if their original dates of travel are between Thursday, August 24 through Tuesday, September 12.

Another two weeks worth of flights that they're offering to reschedule without charge. That is excellent customer service.

They contacted us that our flights were cancelled. Both the ones we made for Sat and Sun. No flights to Houston until Sept 4.

You can't do that. "Cancel for any reason" coverage requires you to cancel within a set number of hours before your trip begins. You can't wait until "the very last second."

Royal Caribbean insurance requires you to cancel prior to the ship leaving port. Where are you seeing differently?

The poster is also from Texas, so their last second decision is different than a last second decision for someone who is flying in from a distance.

They contacted us that our flights were cancelled. Both the ones we made for Sat and Sun. No flights to Houston until Sept 4.

Yet, on their webpage, they're still selling flights to Houston for Saturday and Sunday. No wonder people are so confused.

And yet they're selling tickets online round trip for Chicago, Vegas, Denver, etc. leaving 9/2, returning 9/3. Tons of flights coming out of Houston 9/3. Bizarre. Maybe it's specific to your city?

I was just going to ask that very question -- what are the terms of the insurance. If you can wait until the last minute, that I what I would most likely do. I say most likely because these would be my concerns:

1 can I fly into the region (assuming you aren't local)

2 can I get from the airport to my hotel and then from the hotel to the ship

3 can I get a hotel

4 will working all this out be too stressful when the reason I am doing this is to relieve stress

5 will I be ok emotionally going into a devastated area to go on a luxury trip

1 --Depending on how willing you are to drive the answer to one is an unqualified yes. Most likely the Houston airports will be open, but there may be some pent up demand getting on those flights since it has been shut down for a while, but on the other hand do a lot of people want to get there? You'll find the answer to this as you work on your flight, but I said an unqualified yes because you could always fly into Dallas and drive.

2 -- The roads are drying out and it is only Wednesday. I think this will be a yes as well and this should start becoming clearer over the next day or two.

3 -- Start calling and see what you can do, or maybe you already have one, make sure they are still open. Worst case you could fly in and board the same day assuming you can get the flight, though you risk a delay making you miss the boat.

4 and 5 -- I don't mean to imply that delicate flowers can't handle stress or sad things. I am saying that the purpose of your trip is to get away from the stresses of life, to relax and to have a great time. Dealing with the uncertainties isn't relaxing. Driving through destruction and knowing what it represents to the people involved isn't relaxing. This is a personal thing to you, but will this defeat the whole purpose of the trip or is it not that big a deal to you? This is something to ask yourself.

Edit: Lots of people slipped postes in ahead of mine with other important conciderations.

And yet they're selling tickets online round trip for Chicago, Vegas, Denver, etc. leaving 9/2, returning 9/3. Tons of flights coming out of Houston 9/3. Bizarre. Maybe it's specific to your city?

I'm in Chicago. All I know is what they told my husband, they sent a phone number and special reference number, and when he called, this is what he was told.