Packing tips

oliveoilrunning

We were on a 28day Pacific crossing to Australia and I had a really bad sore throat. Spent a fortune buying 5 halls at a time onboard....now I make sure to add them to my medicine packing list along with Nyquil!!

I learned that the hard way too, so I pack throat lozenges and cold medicines each trip! Another hard-to-find item on a ship is individual/personal packs of facial tissue (such as Kleenex or Puffs), so I bring those along too. Much easier to carry a small package of tissue in my pocket than carting around a large box of tissue ;p .

71O5rL82WpL._SL1001_.jpg

This Portable Clothesline! to hang your wet bathing suits and clotes on the balcony to dry!!! It's a lifesaver :)

Nice!! I also order this.

On cruise I also bring extra hook magnets to hang stuff in the bathroom.

I pack a tiny bottle of lavender oil and a small (approx 250 ml) empty spray bottle. Once on board, I fill the bottle with water and add a few drops of the lavender oil. I use this as a wrinkle release spray for my clothes, air freshener and antibacterial for the cabin/bathroom, and can also be used as an antiseptic for first aid.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

This is a funny interesting thread. I have overpacked for a couple of cruises and am determined to learn from my mistakes! I do take a baggie “medicine bag”. And try to follow the rule to take half out...but. It’s fun to make a list (I use OneNote and include some pictures;), but I have a lot of fun planning to have a great time! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

I travel extensively and always take various OTC medications because you can't always get them in different countries and an excursion/cruise can be ruined by cold symptoms or bowel/stomach disorders. I spent a very miserable 2 weeks in Beijing a couple of years ago. This year, I was prepared and had a much better experience. Even having a cold at Disney World Resort cost me a lot more than if I had just packed a wee little blister packet of decongestants. I am not about to see the doctor on board for a cut finger. I am sure my bandaids are much cheaper. First aid kits take very little room and can come in very handy......just in case. ;)

I, too, always go prepared with everything from cold medicines to Imodium for diarrhea. One year, when traveling with a 10 month old granddaughter, I brought a 6pack of pedialyte, and had to end up using it! As a retired RN, being prepared for anything is my motto!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You re discrediting those in the nursing profession. RNs and LPNs both are well trained and know much more about medical issues than you ever will.

BTW a definition - NURSE: The first person often seen after someone says "Hey hold my beer and watch this".

I wish I could remember where I'd heard it from but...

Doctors do what's right. Nurses do what works. ;)

I wish I could remember where I'd heard it from but...

Doctors do what's right. Nurses do what works. ;)

Ain't that the truth! As a retired RN and charge of a cardiac floor for 9 of all my years working, it was all of us RNs that handled our codes before any Dr even showed up!

Ain't that the truth! As a retired RN and charge of a cardiac floor for 9 of all my years working, it was all of us RNs that handled our codes before any Dr even showed up!

Right? I absolutely love my docs and they're fantastic... But I imagine a cruise scene with one would go something like this... "We need immodium stat! Nurse mkmaj- Where is it? Where do we get that from? Doesn't someone just magically deliver it? No? Oh... did you pack it?"

This is a tip I got from this site many years ago - cross pack your suitcases. I put pants/tops/shoes for both me and my DH in each of our checked bags, so if one piece of our luggage is misplaced, goes to another city, etc. we each have something to wear. DH is an ex-offensive lineman and he just can't walk into any store to buy clothes! Like Maniacal Cruiser, I also put one change of clothes in our carry-on bags as well.

I am also a Ziploc bag devotee. Everything goes into Ziplocs. This makes it easy to put smaller items into our shoes to save on suitcase space. I don't have to worry about my toiletries spilling into the shoes or suitcase.

I do this but it didn't help when both our cases didn't make our connecting flight in Paris enroute to USA. They arrived three days later. I am very petite and had a hard time finding clothes to fit. I now put some stuff at l at for me in a carryon.

I've just packed a med box for the first time. Some paracetamol for headaches etc. A cold & flu remedy (just incase), bandaids, antesceptic ointment, Gaviscon. Sea sick tabs as on a cruise between Lanzarote and Madeira Inhad my first stack of the queasy! Also tabs I take that help a stomach problem I have that rears up now and again. Oh and due to a recurring chest problem my doc did give me two weeks supply of antibios as recommended by my respiratory consultant. This will save time and money. First time visiting the ports we are going to and don't know if our normal meds would be available.

Right? I absolutely love my docs and they're fantastic... But I imagine a cruise scene with one would go something like this... "We need immodium stat! Nurse mkmaj- Where is it? Where do we get that from? Doesn't someone just magically deliver it? No? Oh... did you pack it?"

yea....cuz the immodium needs to be stat, and then you fluid resuscitate, right?

Something doesn't make sense here, and smells a little fishy ;)

phissy said a lot of questionable things. I don't think he/she's a doctor. Maybe a nurse?

My sisters doctor gives her meds in case she gets a cold....she has COPD and ended up being taken off the ship to a island hospital because her cold settled in her chest since she had no antibiotics with her. It was a very expensive and scary ordeal....Her doctor told her not to travel again with out them. Surprise Surprise you don't know everything and everyone's situation is different.

Rather than lug a pill minder that I have to bring home empty, I've started using 1" x 2" ziplocks, one for each day. If you want to get really high tech, you could date each bag with a sharpie! Then, no container to bring home at the end!

where do you buy that size ziplocks? I don't think I have seen them anywhere and I think it is a great idea.

Desperate times 😂

:'):')

My sisters doctor gives her meds in case she gets a cold....she has COPD and ended up being taken off the ship to a island hospital because her cold settled in her chest since she had no antibiotics with her. It was a very expensive and scary ordeal....Her doctor told her not to travel again with out them. Surprise Surprise you don't know everything and everyone's situation is different.

actually, your post actually proves my point. in people who get sick who actually needs drugs, a simple pack of antibiotics is not going to prevent a hospitalization. read my posts. there are situations where antibiotics are not useful and others where it is indicated. for the typical cruiser, they aren't. the vast majority of us don't need those meds packed up. no one needs 3 different types of NSAIDs and tylenol.

believe it or not, antibiotics are very controversial in COPD patients. there is debate if we are doing more harm then good and when or when not to start them. if your sister is carrying an O2 tank, then she of course is very sick. i mean this with kindness and sincerity, you should ask the doctor of her prognosis. it might be eye opening. i wish her the best of luck.

disclaimer: this comment is just for entertainment purposes and should not be regarded as a consultation or medical advice. I bare no liability as I have not seen, examined, diagnosed, or treated anyone on this thread.

I pack "Oil of Oregano", a natural antibiotic, along with Meluca Honey which is also a natural antibacterial for sore throats. I probably will start taking it a few days before our 14-day cruise in Jan. I am known for being always sick in January or February for some reason.

:'):')

actually, your post actually proves my point. in people who get sick who actually needs drugs, a simple pack of antibiotics is not going to prevent a hospitalization. read my posts. there are situations where antibiotics are not useful and others where it is indicated. for the typical cruiser, they aren't. the vast majority of us don't need those meds packed up. no one needs 3 different types of NSAIDs and tylenol. .

I'm going to have to (mildly) disagree with you. I bring along several OTC pain relievers when I travel because they are all good for different things. Tylenol is good if I get a little too much sun or if I feel a fever coming on. Advil is good for muscle aches if I overdo it in port. Excedrin is what I take if I have a caffeine-withdrawal headache or menstrual cramps. My mom has had two heart attacks, so I always make sure I have plenty of her low-dose aspirin on me at all times.

I was in Greece in the pharmacy asking for Visine they had no idea what I was talking about and didn't have that. Last year on a cruise Mother nature came for her monthly visit I had to buy tampons on board very expensive and needed band-aids(blister on my foot) also very expensive on board.

I'm going to have to (mildly) disagree with you. I bring along several OTC pain relievers when I travel because they are all good for different things. Tylenol is good if I get a little too much sun or if I feel a fever coming on. Advil is good for muscle aches if I overdo it in port. Excedrin is what I take if I have a caffeine-withdrawal headache or menstrual cramps. My mom has had two heart attacks, so I always make sure I have plenty of her low-dose aspirin on me at all times.

either efficiency is something you value, or not.

Beyond medications, I have a few packing strategies. I am a strong believer in the two-color method. For myself on a 7-day cruise I take two pairs of white pants (capris or shorts) and two pairs of black; two tops to wear with white, two tops to wear with black, two tops to wear with either and one dressier blouse. I pack one pair of white canvas sneakers and one pair of black. I wear slip-on flats and dress pants on the flight.

I pack the hubs basically the same way, though he usually wears khaki instead of white.

I've also found I can put half my socks and undies in a zippie bag and suck out the air and they will fit nicely inside my shoes.

Anytime I can take something and leave it, I will. For example, I have a pair of jammies that add 30 pounds and attract every hair my dog has ever shed. So, I'm going to take them on my next cruise and leave them. This gives me extra space for the worthless crap I always have to buy on vacation.

Beyond medications, I have a few packing strategies. I am a strong believer in the two-color method. For myself on a 7-day cruise I take two pairs of white pants (capris or shorts) and two pairs of black; two tops to wear with white, two tops to wear with black, two tops to wear with either and one dressier blouse. I pack one pair of white canvas sneakers and one pair of black. I wear slip-on flats and dress pants on the flight.

I pack the hubs basically the same way, though he usually wears khaki instead of white.

I've also found I can put half my socks and undies in a zippie bag and suck out the air and they will fit nicely inside my shoes.

Anytime I can take something and leave it, I will. For example, I have a pair of jammies that add 30 pounds and attract every hair my dog has ever shed. So, I'm going to take them on my next cruise and leave them. This gives me extra space for the worthless crap I always have to buy on vacation.

Like your take it and leave it policy. Hubby does same on our roadtrips to USA. Me well I very seldom take undies back. I buy cheap white briefs and throw them away. Bit like those disposable ones you get but nicer. However I did like a fresh outfit most days/nights & don't do laundry on holiday.

Hmm.....so your doctor prescribes antibiotics to take on a cruise "just in case you get sick"? My doctor would never do that, especially since antibiotics are specific to what ever you are ill with. Just curious!

I've just completed chemo treatments. We sail on November 25 on the POA. Yes, my oncologist prescribed a general antibiotic for "just in case". I feel more secure having it.

I've just completed chemo treatments. We sail on November 25 on the POA. Yes, my oncologist prescribed a general antibiotic for "just in case". I feel more secure having it.

I, too, carry an antibiotic for a recurring issue that ALWAYS takes the same antibiotic, so my Dr feels better sending me with a bottle of it, just in case. I feel more secure with it with me, also. And as an RN, I am very aware of the need to prescribe the correct antibiotic for the specific problem, often even culturing the area to find out which antibiotic, but what that one poster you commented on did not realize is that there are MANY situations and illnesses (chronic) that are treated the same way every time, and taking preventive measures are sometimes necessary.

Now people are suggesting bringing place mats to use in the buffet?' Is this thread a big joke?

Seriously, ask yourself before your pack if your life can go on if you are without that item for one measly week. It's not that big of a deal. Throw in some clothes, understanding that you won't need as much as you might think. There is always plenty of storage space in the cabins. You don't want to waste an entire day of a 7 day cruise organizing your closets, for crying out loud. It's not like you are moving away from home. It's a short, vacation.