Packing tips

oliveoilrunning

I tend to pack relatively light with my only extra luxury items being my George Foreman grill and my waffle maker that I put on the balcony.

Hilarious. I burst out laughing. :')

As far as all the rest goes...If I'm flying, I only do carryon. If I'm going from my home port, I might take a slightly bigger suitcase with more choices of shoes. But it still fits thru the screener at the port.

I do carry a full supply of medical items too. I also love ziplocs in all sizes.

As the poster who drew the original criticism for suggesting a medicine/first aid kit, thank you to all who posted your versions and for the ideas to improve my own!

The topic of prescription meds is a long long argument in Cruise Critic for years. There is no law in the United States requiring original bottles.. to fly, or go through customs. If you return to the US with a large quantity of unlabeled pills, you are asking to be detained and investigated. Just as if the same were found in your car in a police search. It isn't illegal and they have to prove you have broken a drug law, and it will be damn inconvenient. So don't have a large quantity. And if you have a pain med/controlled substance, then bring that one in it's container.

Nobody will bother you for pill sorters for the correct number of days of your cruse. Also if you ever get confused, google "pill finder" to identify a pill using its number, color and shape.

As the poster who drew the original criticism for suggesting a medicine/first aid kit, thank you to all who posted your versions and for the ideas to improve my own!

The topic of prescription meds is a long long argument in Cruise Critic for years. There is no law in the United States requiring original bottles.. to fly, or go through customs. If you return to the US with a large quantity of unlabeled pills, you are asking to be detained and investigated. Just as if the same were found in your car in a police search. It isn't illegal and they have to prove you have broken a drug law, and it will be damn inconvenient. So don't have a large quantity. And if you have a pain med/controlled substance, then bring that one in it's container.

Nobody will bother you for pill sorters for the correct number of days of your cruse. Also if you ever get confused, google "pill finder" to identify a pill using its number, color and shape.

Keep up the good work. You have done a good job defining how to take one's medication during travel and the reassure everyone it is OK.

Rather than lug a pill minder that I have to bring home empty, I've started using 1" x 2" ziplocks, one for each day. If you want to get really high tech, you could date each bag with a sharpie! Then, no container to bring home at the end!

I am a retired medical professional. I have a printed list for cruises. We have been in other countries trying to locate Rx they have not heard of. .

I put a 2 week supply of each in small snack -size ziplock bag. with Sharpie- write name and dosage info. put those all together in large ziplock bag -call it the medicine bag. squeeze out air , less space than a shoe.

It includes nsaids (pain relievers-Tylenol and Motrin) ,Imodium tabs,(diarrhea ) ,antacids tabs, Meclizine HCl ( motion sickness) tabs (generic Dramamine), Theraflu or NyQuil , Sudafed tabs, Pepto tabs and mucus relief tabs (mucinex). Small tube hydrocortisone cream for insect bites or rash. small individual twist-top saline (for eye wash)

RX items are:1 course antibiotics for each (in case of infection) a few Promethazine suppositories (nausea & vomiting-think food poisoning) 1 course Tamaflu and small bottle of antibiotic eyedrops (conjunctivitis -pink eye)

I have small diagnostic items like finger pulse oximeter and wrist BP monitor for husband.

Standard bandaids, small alcohol swabs, ointment and small ace bandage. 1 knee and ankle brace.(small, flexible kind)

If we are going to Alaska, not too worried if I forgot something. Insect repellant -Easy to find....

But, we are going on 40 day Australia /Asia cruise next spring and this will be a must.

I guess I can cross Bottled water and soda off my list now :confused:. (time for a new list)

I guess it depends on ones age and heath status. Just keep cruising :cool:

Great list, I don't take all that stuff but do some of it, wished I had others at times.

Best advice ever. We did a RTW trip with carry on only and have now done two long cruise trips with carry on only.

Cubes help with organizing for sure. But, they do not save room unless you are compacting - space is space - LOL! (5 shirts in a cube equals 5 shirts in the suitcase-spacewise)

Yeah, but Ebag cubes are just too neat.

I believe in bringing along the entire medicine aisle with me. I bring things I never use at home, but I'd much rather have it and not need it...

I spend a little time and my first aid kit can fit in my purse- minus liquids, of course. This photo comes from my last cruise. It includes:

• 24 Tums
  • 12 Pepcid
  • 6 Pepto
  • 6 Motion sickness patches
  • 9 Insect Relief pads
  • 6 Alcohol pads
  • I don't remember how many bandages
  • 12 Bonine
  • 15 Aleve
  • 12 Medi-Lyte
  • 24 Excedrin
  • 12 Lactaid
  • 14 (?) Zyrtec
  • 24 Tylenol PM
  • 15 Imodium
  • 35 Advil
  • 15 Gas-X
  • 24 Tylenol

For things I don't regularly use, I cut the instructions from the back of the box and put them in the bag.

21jn6ex.jpg

Everything fits in a 5x7" pouch.

Swells1, I love your "Preparedness Pack"!!! After reading your EPIC review, I know YOU have to be prepared for everyone in your party (and don't get much thanks, at that!) You Rock!

I believe in bringing along the entire medicine aisle with me. I bring things I never use at home, but I'd much rather have it and not need it...

I spend a little time and my first aid kit can fit in my purse- minus liquids, of course. This photo comes from my last cruise. It includes:

• 24 Tums
  • 12 Pepcid
  • 6 Pepto
  • 6 Motion sickness patches
  • 9 Insect Relief pads
  • 6 Alcohol pads
  • I don't remember how many bandages
  • 12 Bonine
  • 15 Aleve
  • 12 Medi-Lyte
  • 24 Excedrin
  • 12 Lactaid
  • 14 (?) Zyrtec
  • 24 Tylenol PM
  • 15 Imodium
  • 35 Advil
  • 15 Gas-X
  • 24 Tylenol

For things I don't regularly use, I cut the instructions from the back of the box and put them in the bag.

21jn6ex.jpg

Everything fits in a 5x7" pouch.

although very aesthetically pleasing and well organized, many of these meds are redundant. and electrolytes? You don't need them b/c you will be eating a lot on a cruise. And most people, esp with CHF, are retaining too much water due to eating so much salt while on a cruise.

And I am not disrespecting any profession. Just simply asking people to provide accurate information (on the internet....i know what a daunting task that can be...:rolleyes:) so as to not confuse people, which has obviously happened here.

Just know that the most addictive and abused medicines are not scheduled meds...its OTC pills.

• 3 weeks later...

Good advise! FYI regarding Electrolytes. I disagree with your comment. It’s not about how much food you eat, it’s how ones’ body metabolizes the natural minerals, and I know my body needs it, or I end up with leg cramps!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rather than lug a pill minder that I have to bring home empty, I've started using 1" x 2" ziplocks, one for each day. If you want to get really high tech, you could date each bag with a sharpie! Then, no container to bring home at the end!

For the first time, in all these years of cruising, I am NOT using small zip lock bags of my daily meds. Rather, I have placed each med in its own container, thinking for such a long cruise, I will do what I do at home and prepare my meds each week. I hope I’m not sorry.

If you’re not flying, then it’s no problem.

Packing cubes allow you to pack efficiently and unpack/pack quickly. Cubes can fit in drawers or on the shelves and keep clothes neat. I pack clothes by type and use a spare cube for dirty clothes.

That’s the only way I Pack now. I label the packs “cold weather”, “tropical weather”, how weather tops, long sleeve tops, etc., for long cruises where we enter different climate zones. That way, I can pack/unpack what I really need for that week of cruising.

LOL...people make packing so complicated. I simply take what I need for the trip and put it in my suitcase. No special bags, cubes or gold lined bags needed. I may roll any dress pants or shirts to minimize wrinkles but that is as extravagant as I get.

Me too

Those packing cubes would take up too much real estate in my 21 inch roll on that I use for all my trips...no checked luggage for me in the last 20 years

Oh and I never rinse out under ware either...I just bring the correct number plus a few and either discard them or put them in dirty laundry area

$10.99 for a 10 pack of cotton underware that may well get tossed is money very well spent lol

Interesting thread (mostly).

In summary, you have the cubers and non-cubers. LOL!

They do organize stuff, no doubt. But, they do not save room. As another convert to carryon only, it just takes up valuable real estate as the last poster mentioned.

And, I have to chuckle at the common hint I see in these discussions: When done packing, take half out. Would not work for us, as we would then have a half full carryon and nothing much more than underwear and toiletries (plus a mini-walgreens). LOL!

Still great to share ideas.

Interesting thread (mostly).

I

And, I have to chuckle at the common hint I see in these discussions: When done packing, take half out. Would not work for us, as we would then have a half full carryon and nothing much more than underwear and toiletries (plus a mini-walgreens). LOL!

Still great to share ideas.

I hear you, but as ours was our first cruise, I totally underestimated my ability to wear things more than once. I am pretty notorious for spilling some of my dinner on me somewhere along the line, so I didn't gamble on wearing clothes multiple times. Would not do that again. And on the sea day we pretty much wore swimwear until we got dressed for dinner. Didn't anticipate that. So we both could have done with a few less clothes.

Good advise! FYI regarding Electrolytes. I disagree with your comment. It’s not about how much food you eat, it’s how ones’ body metabolizes the natural minerals, and I know my body needs it, or I end up with leg cramps!

Then eat a banana.

Taking an electrolyte pill can land you in the medical center on board, esp if you have heart failure.

Lol....people trying to play doctor and popping pills is why this country has such terrible outcomes despite the amount of money we spend on health care. This right here perfectly exemplifies it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Bill. My sister, whom I always travel with, is our "pharmacist". She carries everything from ibuprofen to Pepto, and everything in between....Benadryl, Neosporin, Imodium, decongestant tablets, dramamine, band-aids, gauze pads, alcohol pads, eye wash and eye drops, Aspercreme, etc. It has come in handy several times; we didn't want to have to go to the infirmary or pay the exorbitant prices in the gift shop for over-the-counter meds.

That’s me for sure! And it’s come in handy too. Having IBS I always carry Imodium.

I hear you, but as ours was our first cruise, I totally underestimated my ability to wear things more than once. I am pretty notorious for spilling some of my dinner on me somewhere along the line, so I didn't gamble on wearing clothes multiple times. Would not do that again. And on the sea day we pretty much wore swimwear until we got dressed for dinner. Didn't anticipate that. So we both could have done with a few less clothes.

Good comments; you reminded me that I should bring a stain-removing pen. :p