Packing tips

oliveoilrunning

If you are swimming in the tropics like (Hawaii) some Neosporin and bandaids can help prevent a nasty infected cut from rocks or coral while swimming. That is what I was told by my doctor so I always bring it along. Waiting until we can see the ship's doctor or going to a local store is an option but this is easier.

I always bring a first aid kit....we have been on 2 cruises where we spent WAY more than usual for a fall/abrasion and a poison ivy outbreak! The cost of bandages in Canada is significantly more than in the US, as we learned the hard way....after spending over $100 on gauze, tape, ace wraps, and band aides! Now I always carry a medium sized make-up bag with meds and bandages. We have used it on many cruises!

What are you buying for $100...

Ca Walmart has elastic bandages for less than $8

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tensor-elastic-bandage/6000061091581

This is a common practice if one is traveling to a 3rd world country. It is for traveller's diarrhea. Normally, they write for only a 3 day supply.

CDC recommends against prophylaxis

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/the-pre-travel-consultation/travelers-diarrhea

"At this time, prophylactic antibiotics should not be recommended for most travelers. Prophylactic antibiotics afford no protection against nonbacterial pathogens and can remove normally protective microflora from the bowel, increasing the risk of infection with resistant bacterial pathogens. Travelers may become colonized with extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)–producing bacteria, and this risk is increased by exposure to antibiotics while abroad. Additionally, the use of antibiotics may be associated with allergic or adverse reactions, and prophylactic antibiotics limit the therapeutic options if TD occurs; a traveler relying on prophylactic antibiotics will need to carry an alternative antibiotic to use if severe diarrhea develops despite prophylaxis."

"Antibiotics are effective in reducing the duration of diarrhea by about a day in cases caused by bacterial pathogens that are susceptible to the particular antibiotic prescribed. However, there are concerns about adverse consequences of using antibiotics to treat TD. Travelers who take antibiotics may acquire resistant organisms such as ESBL-producing organisms, resulting in potential harm to travelers—particularly those who are immunosuppressed or women who may be prone to urinary tract infections—and the possibility of introducing these resistant bacteria into the community. In addition, there is concern about the effects of antibiotic use on travelers’ microbiota and the potential for adverse consequences such as Clostridium difficile infection as a result."

You are free to bring w/e you want. It doesn't make it a good idea, esp when flying out and only using carry on luggage. After bringing all of your actual meds that you take + all this OTC meds that are all duplicates of each, that's a lot to bring on a carry on. Also, all these meds can actually do harm, as mentioned by the CDC.

Up to you. I cannot tell you to live your life. It's a false sense of security in the end, b/c the real important emergencies you cannot do much on a cruise ship....like a heart attack...as a cardiologist isn't going to stent you on the ship.

I tend to pack relatively light with my only extra luxury items being my George Foreman grill and my waffle maker that I put on the balcony.

I lol'ed at this

Edited by CruisingUS

We all have different opinions on this, however, with a medical background, I side with Phissy and respect the advice, which is what it is, and will continue to bring almost the exact same meds. The only thing I add is a muscle relaxant since I have spondylosis. We are all different and your posts are very disrespectful of those who have cruised previously. What works for you, does not work for others. DONE!! Got it? Hope so.

I agree with the muscle relaxant ..I take everything out of its original packaging and put it in little zip lock bags ...not a whole container of cold medicine, ..just a few tablets of a bunch of things ..takes no space at all ... And if you are taking a long cruise in Europe with a few days added on at the beginning or end having just a few emergency items is worth the trouble ...

I have come to the realization that people will turn any thread, post, discussion on this site into a debate or argument at the drop of a hat.
The trick here is to be able to know the difference between a debate/argument and a sense of humor added here and there. The humor can lighten things up. What people pack or do not pack for a cruise does not have to be taken so seriously.

I believe in bringing along the entire medicine aisle with me. I bring things I never use at home, but I'd much rather have it and not need it...

I spend a little time and my first aid kit can fit in my purse- minus liquids, of course. This photo comes from my last cruise. It includes:

• 24 Tums
  • 12 Pepcid
  • 6 Pepto
  • 6 Motion sickness patches
  • 9 Insect Relief pads
  • 6 Alcohol pads
  • I don't remember how many bandages
  • 12 Bonine
  • 15 Aleve
  • 12 Medi-Lyte
  • 24 Excedrin
  • 12 Lactaid
  • 14 (?) Zyrtec
  • 24 Tylenol PM
  • 15 Imodium
  • 35 Advil
  • 15 Gas-X
  • 24 Tylenol

For things I don't regularly use, I cut the instructions from the back of the box and put them in the bag.

21jn6ex.jpg

Everything fits in a 5x7" pouch.

Swells 1,

Love It. printed labels is a nice touch, I am too lazy to do that. Impressive, good job. If you were on my cruise, I might hit you up for some relief :halo:

Several years ago my husband came down with the full blown flu on day three of a 9 day cruise. As a nurse I was well prepared. The meds I brought made him feel better and he was able to enjoy the cruise better than if I hadn't brought anything. Be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the muscle relaxant ..I take everything out of its original packaging and put it in little zip lock bags ...not a whole container of cold medicine, ..just a few tablets of a bunch of things ..takes no space at all ... And if you are taking a long cruise in Europe with a few days added on at the beginning or end having just a few emergency items is worth the trouble ...

very good explanation about taking a few meds along. Many of us have had times when we needed something and could not find it in that country. It does not have to be a big thing. It is a personal choice...happy travels

Don't want to keep being the wet blanket...but transporting meds, specifically scheduled meds, outside of their container is illegal in the states. IDK where you are going tho.

Several years ago my husband came down with the full blown flu on day three of a 9 day cruise. As a nurse I was well prepared. The meds I brought made him feel better and he was able to enjoy the cruise better than if I hadn't brought anything. Be prepared.

Symptom management is important. And the placebo effect has been documented very well on colds and the flu

http://www.annfammed.org/content/9/4/312.long

If you are swimming in the tropics like (Hawaii) some Neosporin and bandaids can help prevent a nasty infected cut from rocks or coral while swimming. That is what I was told by my doctor so I always bring it along. Waiting until we can see the ship's doctor or going to a local store is an option but this is easier.

Agree 100%! This happened to me--reef rash from coral or something like that. It was pretty painful, and I had to buy a TEENY tube of neosporin for some ridiculous price. I ALWAYS pack it now!

Hmm.....so your doctor prescribes antibiotics to take on a cruise "just in case you get sick"? My doctor would never do that, especially since antibiotics are specific to what ever you are ill with. Just curious!

Depends where you're going. Sounds like a lot of these folks are going to more exotic ports than just the Caribbean. I most definitely had a scrip for antibiotics before I went to India... thankfully!

Antibiotics??? What doctor gives you a prescription of antibiotics to take on vacation just in case you get sick, especially not knowing what illness those meds are treating? My doctor would never do that.

Just to give some perspective... I travel with antibiotics given to me by my GI doc because I have a preexisting condition which can cause me to become very ill if I pick up a stomach bug. It is not for prophylaxis.

CruisingUS- I am an RN and don't appreciate the "not a medical professional, maybe a nurse" comment. We are not doctors but we do go through a lot of schooling, testing, and continuing education to be licensed as such.

I have a tendency to overpack ..so packing cubes limit that ..If i cannot fit itin it does not come .for a long cruise ....12-15 days ..i have big packing cubes ..one holds slacks, capris, another tops, another swimming gear including covers , small for undies ,socks and bras , i limit the numberof dresses

I place bags as is on shelves ...unpacking is very easy ..lol

I hang dresses and slacks ....done in a jiffy

I roll everything tight ....a few shoes ...hats etc

My carry on has all I need for precruise plus 2 days worth of clothes for first night and following day on ship ......

Including flip flops and1 bathing suit and cover ....in case luggage does not show up right away ...happened once got it 26 hours later

This has worked best for me ...picking and choosing is the hardest for me ...I like to dress nice ....so packing for me takes careful planning ...part of the fun of cruising

I believe in bringing along the entire medicine aisle with me. I bring things I never use at home, but I'd much rather have it and not need it...

I spend a little time and my first aid kit can fit in my purse- minus liquids, of course. This photo comes from my last cruise. It includes:

• 24 Tums
  • 12 Pepcid
  • 6 Pepto
  • 6 Motion sickness patches
  • 9 Insect Relief pads
  • 6 Alcohol pads
  • I don't remember how many bandages
  • 12 Bonine
  • 15 Aleve
  • 12 Medi-Lyte
  • 24 Excedrin
  • 12 Lactaid
  • 14 (?) Zyrtec
  • 24 Tylenol PM
  • 15 Imodium
  • 35 Advil
  • 15 Gas-X
  • 24 Tylenol

For things I don't regularly use, I cut the instructions from the back of the box and put them in the bag.

21jn6ex.jpg

Everything fits in a 5x7" pouch.

you have way to much time on your hands,lol

Just to give some perspective... I travel with antibiotics given to me by my GI doc because I have a preexisting condition which can cause me to become very ill if I pick up a stomach bug. It is not for prophylaxis.

I understand you taking them for a pre-existing condition. But I tend to doubt any doctor would hand out prescriptions for a "might be illness" , especially since they won't know exactly what that illness might be. Some here said they take antibiotics "just in case" so that's what I am questioning.

Agreed, as first responder and in medical reserved as volunteer, my pouch is less organized but pack just as much, all (15 items+ ... not going to itemize them, each person customize to her/his own) fit into a Tumi airline toiletry pouch. Another one hold my 3-1-1 items. First aid/field trauma kit too. Easily jammed into small packing cube as it would go into the backpack as carry-on item when flying. Pharmacy info & interactions/warning info labels/tags carried for prescribed w. PCP name (none are scheduled Rx.)

9d94af3c3e7bbef71420034281fe448f.jpg

ed6d820f531eeb8c9575733a15a92e69.jpg

Backpack has enough for 2 to 3 days and a 22" carry-on or rollerboard with a mix of packing cubes for 5 to 8 days of mix-n-match clothing. Just transfer to drawers or open shelves on the ship.

0e864a0d31108dff0bfe4daf381a9d77.jpg

287317d600190a884ca4e763af8d17bc.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288

What are some of the best packing tips, or packing supplies, that you can share?

The meds I bring depend on wether or not we ordered the Beverage Package ....A small, waterproof camera that fits in my shirt pocket is nice.Spare eyeglasses or at least a glasses repair kit always goes with me. Check Rick Steves European travel books for a helpful overall plan

For men... convertible pants! I found these invaluable on an Alaskan cruise. Good for the potentially cool weather outside as long pants, and can zip off into shorts if it gets hot. I would find these great even on a Caribbean/warmer cruise. Good enough to wear as pants for dinner with a polo shirt, and wear as shorts all other times.

Agreed, as first responder and in medical reserved as volunteer, my pouch is less organized but pack just as much, all (15 items+ ... not going to itemize them, each person customize to her/his own) fit into a Tumi airline toiletry pouch. Another one hold my 3-1-1 items. First aid/field trauma kit too. Easily jammed into small packing cube as it would go into the backpack as carry-on item when flying. Pharmacy info & interactions/warning info labels/tags carried for prescribed w. PCP name (none are scheduled Rx.)

9d94af3c3e7bbef71420034281fe448f.jpg

ed6d820f531eeb8c9575733a15a92e69.jpg

Backpack has enough for 2 to 3 days and a 22" carry-on or rollerboard with a mix of packing cubes for 5 to 8 days of mix-n-match clothing. Just transfer to drawers or open shelves on the ship.

0e864a0d31108dff0bfe4daf381a9d77.jpg

287317d600190a884ca4e763af8d17bc.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Wow, Steri Strips, color me impressed.

We pack a Bluetooth speaker and a power strip. They barely have enough power outlets so getting a power strip is helpful. The Bluetooth speaker is our fan. [emoji4]. We need the white noise and we no longer pack a fan. Simply download a fan app on your phone and sleep the night away.