Packing tips

oliveoilrunning

Now people are suggesting bringing place mats to use in the buffet?' Is this thread a big joke?

Seriously, ask yourself before your pack if your life can go on if you are without that item for one measly week. It's not that big of a deal. Throw in some clothes, understanding that you won't need as much as you might think. There is always plenty of storage space in the cabins. You don't want to waste an entire day of a 7 day cruise organizing your closets, for crying out loud. It's not like you are moving away from home. It's a short, vacation.

that's exactly how i feel. people bringing walmart and its pharmacy to their cruise

I have this thing. It sits in my office drawer in case myself or a coworker needs something. It is 1 x 2 x 3 inches, so it's tiny enough to fit in your palm. I pull it out and take it on trips. It takes up no space, and it takes no time to prepare, since it's always already prepared. It has ranitidine, advil, benadryl, imodium, tylenol, and I think that's all. It takes 2 seconds of thought, and 1.5 seconds to throw in the suitcase. Then I spend the rest of the time trying to find a swimsuit that will fit right. Priorities, people. Priorities. I might need a pill for my hangover, but I'm not going to need to perform surgery.

https://www.amazon.com/Miamica-happy-Pills-Packing-Organizers/dp/B01FWDKXME

41o741fEl2L._SX342_.jpg

that's exactly how i feel. people bringing walmart and its pharmacy to their cruise

It would be nice to not need to bring Walmart and Pharmacy everywhere I go, but it's unrealistic. Even at home, I depend on a certain bunch of medicines to make sure that I keep breathing and don't die. Seriously, it's not like I make anyone else carry my stuff. So, if you don't need to be the Human Medicine Cabinet (as my husband calls me), don't bring it and don't worry about those of us who need to. If it means I can go on a cruise, why not do it while I can? :)

So, while I don't advocate overpacking, I don't advocate leaving behind medical necessities.

• 1 month later...
It would be nice to not need to bring Walmart and Pharmacy everywhere I go, but it's unrealistic. Even at home, I depend on a certain bunch of medicines to make sure that I keep breathing and don't die. Seriously, it's not like I make anyone else carry my stuff. So, if you don't need to be the Human Medicine Cabinet (as my husband calls me), don't bring it and don't worry about those of us who need to. If it means I can go on a cruise, why not do it while I can? :)

So, while I don't advocate overpacking, I don't advocate leaving behind medical necessities.

Thank you! I really think it’s rude of someone to make fun of those of us that are totally prepared for anything. I’d hate to be them if some malady strikes while out to sea. I am a retired RN, and I do not travel anywhere without my travel bag of PRN meds, which includes an Epipen for bee sting allergies. Plus I have a separate bag of my every day meds that I keep right in my carry on tote. There are some things that are absolutely necessary to bring, also, such as Deep Woods Off, for those treks through dense areas to prevent Zika, plenty of sunscreen, and also aloe gel for when all the sunscreen in the world can’t prevent a burn in the hot Caribbean sun. It pays to be prepared. After my last cruise, and needing one item I never brought—-hydrogen peroxide for a canker sore—and the cruise ship stating they were not allowed to sell that to us, and having to pay $5 for a mere ounce in Mexico, it has now been added to my travel bag of PRN meds.

I'm going to have to (mildly) disagree with you. I bring along several OTC pain relievers when I travel because they are all good for different things. Tylenol is good if I get a little too much sun or if I feel a fever coming on. Advil is good for muscle aches if I overdo it in port. Excedrin is what I take if I have a caffeine-withdrawal headache or menstrual cramps. My mom has had two heart attacks, so I always make sure I have plenty of her low-dose aspirin on me at all times.

Same here! As a retired RN, I know that not all pain relievers are created equally. I bring the same three that you do, also, along with all my PRN meds, and take them for all the reasons you stated. Good job!

Thank you! I really think it’s rude of someone to make fun of those of us that are totally prepared for anything. I’d hate to be them if some malady strikes while out to sea. I am a retired RN, and I do not travel anywhere without my travel bag of PRN meds, which includes an Epipen for bee sting allergies. Plus I have a separate bag of my every day meds that I keep right in my carry on tote. There are some things that are absolutely necessary to bring, also, such as Deep Woods Off, for those treks through dense areas to prevent Zika, plenty of sunscreen, and also aloe gel for when all the sunscreen in the world can’t prevent a burn in the hot Caribbean sun. It pays to be prepared. After my last cruise, and needing one item I never brought—-hydrogen peroxide for a canker sore—and the cruise ship stating they were not allowed to sell that to us, and having to pay $5 for a mere ounce in Mexico, it has now been added to my travel bag of PRN meds.

Haha... I wonder if the people who scan bags can instantly pick us nurses out?! 😂

I am a retired medical professional. I have a printed list for cruises. We have been in other countries trying to locate Rx they have not heard of. .

I put a 2 week supply of each in small snack -size ziplock bag. with Sharpie- write name and dosage info. put those all together in large ziplock bag -call it the medicine bag. squeeze out air , less space than a shoe.

It includes nsaids (pain relievers-Tylenol and Motrin) ,Imodium tabs,(diarrhea ) ,antacids tabs, Meclizine HCl ( motion sickness) tabs (generic Dramamine), Theraflu or NyQuil , Sudafed tabs, Pepto tabs and mucus relief tabs (mucinex). Small tube hydrocortisone cream for insect bites or rash. small individual twist-top saline (for eye wash)

RX items are:1 course antibiotics for each (in case of infection) a few Promethazine suppositories (nausea & vomiting-think food poisoning) 1 course Tamaflu and small bottle of antibiotic eyedrops (conjunctivitis -pink eye)

I have small diagnostic items like finger pulse oximeter and wrist BP monitor for husband.

Standard bandaids, small alcohol swabs, ointment and small ace bandage. 1 knee and ankle brace.(small, flexible kind)

If we are going to Alaska, not too worried if I forgot something. Insect repellant -Easy to find....

But, we are going on 40 day Australia /Asia cruise next spring and this will be a must.

I guess I can cross Bottled water and soda off my list now :confused:. (time for a new list)

I guess it depends on ones age and heath status. Just keep cruising :cool:

Antibiotics?? Tamiflu?? Not everyone's doc is going to give a script, just incase. How do you know which antibiotic to take. There seems to be quite a few.

Antibiotics?? Tamiflu?? Not everyone's doc is going to give a script, just incase. How do you know which antibiotic to take. There seems to be quite a few.

Not sure the same holds true for that poster, but my Dr gives me a script for a particular kind of antibiotic I need for a chronic condition, just in case it flares up,while out to sea. I never leave home without that bottle of antibiotic. Also, there are some antibiotics that are broad spectrum, and can be used until home and seeing your Dr. my Dr has even given me a script before a cruise for Diflucan. All the ladies on here will know what that is for, just in case I have to take that antibiotic combined with the heat of the Caribbean.

I find that I take less on every cruise I take. I no longer worry about taking the entire medicine cabinet with me, because guess what?, Most ports have drug stores!

Take enough OTC meds with you to get to the next port.... Those that you usually use. Stomach and head fixes.

Of course, take along an extra supply of your prescription meds.

In the tropics, insect repellent and Benadryl

A camera

Plastic clips if you want to dry your bathing suits on the balcony

Passport

And my favorite.....magnetic hooks for the walls! They hold everything from notices to hats to robes to pool coverups!

Not sure the same holds true for that poster, but my Dr gives me a script for a particular kind of antibiotic I need for a chronic condition, just in case it flares up,while out to sea. I never leave home without that bottle of antibiotic. Also, there are some antibiotics that are broad spectrum, and can be used until home and seeing your Dr. my Dr has even given me a script before a cruise for Diflucan. All the ladies on here will know what that is for, just in case I have to take that antibiotic combined with the heat of the Caribbean.

Makes since if there is something you are prone to get. You and your doc know best.:D I don't see my doc giving me a antibiotic script. (Really don't need one)

However, I'm bad, I bye generic Ampicillin, Amoxil and Z paks while in Mexico. To add insult to injury, I bring them home and they expire.

Never thought about Diflucan. Thank God, haven't needed it on a cruise.

Don't want to keep being the wet blanket...but transporting meds, specifically scheduled meds, outside of their container is illegal in the states. IDK where you are going tho.

Symptom management is important. And the placebo effect has been documented very well on colds and the flu

http://www.annfammed.org/content/9/4/312.long

Most muscle relaxants in the US are not scheduled. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is carisoprodol.

What are some of the best packing tips, or packing supplies, that you can share?

Take a small empty spray bottle to spray your clothes when you unpack. Dampen clothes, hand smooth them, hang them up, and all the slightly damp clothes make a nice semi-humid closet. All the wrinkles are gone by evening.

Get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Outlet-Surge-Protector-Ports/dp/B01BYO79UE/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1513644056&sr=8-19&keywords=multi+plug+outlet

Surge protected power boards/outlets are not compatible with the ship's power supply and are prohibited items.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tiny ziplock bags for pills can be purchased at Walgreens near the pharmacy, by the pill boxes. They come in a pkg of 50 for around $4.

They even have a white area that you can write on.

I also use them to sort my jewelry and to carry pills in my purse for easy access. They take up much less space than pill bottles or boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rphpcf