Packing tips

oliveoilrunning

We all have different opinions on this, however, with a medical background, I side with Phissy and respect the advice, which is what it is, and will continue to bring almost the exact same meds. The only thing I add is a muscle relaxant since I have spondylosis. We are all different and your posts are very disrespectful of those who have cruised previously. What works for you, does not work for others. DONE!! Got it? Hope so.

I respect your guys' opinions, but I disagree w/ it. I just don't think it's good advice imo b/c a lot of the stuff you are bringing aren't useful or warranted. Rather they just give you false sense of security.

THEY WILL PUT YOU IN QUARANTINE IF THEY THINK YOUR 'COUGH' OR 'DIARRHEA' POSES A THREAT TO 4K PASSENGERS! JUST BRING THE MEDS! AND DEFINITELY BRING TUMS, YOU KNOW YOU'RE GONNA GET HEARTBURN AT SOME POINT! :o

lol, caps much? if I have noro, then I should be quarantined.

I love the packing cubes and the hanging bags. I've been cruising for 20 years. It makes it very easy to do the "Overland Tours" as well. I label each cube: cold weather, hot weather, etc. I also take plenty of medical needs items....especially antibiotics from my own doctor, colds meds., etc. can't imagine wasting precious tour time in the medical unit, or taking a taxi to a local pharmacy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

if you are in inside cabin, the first thing you should pack is a NIGHT LIGHT!

Absolutely necessary!! Thanks for reminding us.

We also take projection travel clock so we can just look up to see time at night. I do like the suggestion of battery tea lights for evening. Also really like the recommendation of cubes and Ziplock bags. Also, the hanging compartment type organizers. It can hang on bathroom door or closet door. We also take magnets for walls to post dailies and notes etc.

Used ex-large 3 gallon zip bags. 1 pants, 1 flannel, 2 t-shirts, socks and undies. 1 bag for 2 days, DH can pull one bag and ready to go for the day. Keeps the luggage or shelves neat. Great for a land tour, when moving every day or so.
great idea for kids also mentally challenged adults like my brother. He will be in another cabin with our older brother who has never lived with him and is not use to his cognitive needs. He usually, needs help with figuring out what to wear. I can pack one pair of pants, shirt, socks, and underwear in one baggie per day and he won't have to figure anything out. Awesome idea!

I love the packing cubes and the hanging bags. I've been cruising for 20 years. It makes it very easy to do the "Overland Tours" as well. I label each cube: cold weather, hot weather, etc. I also take plenty of medical needs items....especially antibiotics from my own doctor, colds meds., etc. can't imagine wasting precious tour time in the medical unit, or taking a taxi to a local pharmacy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmm.....so your doctor prescribes antibiotics to take on a cruise "just in case you get sick"? My doctor would never do that, especially since antibiotics are specific to what ever you are ill with. Just curious!

I am a retired medical professional. I have a printed list for cruises. We have been in other countries trying to locate Rx they have not heard of. .

I put a 2 week supply of each in small snack -size ziplock bag. with Sharpie- write name and dosage info. put those all together in large ziplock bag -call it the medicine bag. squeeze out air , less space than a shoe.

It includes nsaids (pain relievers-Tylenol and Motrin) ,Imodium tabs,(diarrhea ) ,antacids tabs, Meclizine HCl ( motion sickness) tabs (generic Dramamine), Theraflu or NyQuil , Sudafed tabs, Pepto tabs and mucus relief tabs (mucinex). Small tube hydrocortisone cream for insect bites or rash. small individual twist-top saline (for eye wash)

RX items are:1 course antibiotics for each (in case of infection) a few Promethazine suppositories (nausea & vomiting-think food poisoning) 1 course Tamaflu and small bottle of antibiotic eyedrops (conjunctivitis -pink eye)

I have small diagnostic items like finger pulse oximeter and wrist BP monitor for husband.

Standard bandaids, small alcohol swabs, ointment and small ace bandage. 1 knee and ankle brace.(small, flexible kind)

If we are going to Alaska, not too worried if I forgot something. Insect repellant -Easy to find....

But, we are going on 40 day Australia /Asia cruise next spring and this will be a must.

I guess I can cross Bottled water and soda off my list now :confused:. (time for a new list)

I guess it depends on ones age and heath status. Just keep cruising :cool:

Antibiotics??? What doctor gives you a prescription of antibiotics to take on vacation just in case you get sick, especially not knowing what illness those meds are treating? My doctor would never do that.

Antibiotics??? What doctor gives you a prescription of antibiotics to take on vacation just in case you get sick, especially not knowing what illness those meds are treating? My doctor would never do that.

Something doesn't make sense here, and smells a little fishy ;)

phissy said a lot of questionable things. I don't think he/she's a doctor. Maybe a nurse?

Something doesn't make sense here, and smells a little fishy ;)

phissy said a lot of questionable things. I don't think he/she's a doctor. Maybe a nurse?

Perhaps! Sounds like "over kill" in that list none the less. I mean why not add some "plaster of Paris" to make a cast in case you break an arm....or a set of crutches in case you sprain an ankle. ugh! :rolleyes:

I believe in bringing along the entire medicine aisle with me. I bring things I never use at home, but I'd much rather have it and not need it...

I spend a little time and my first aid kit can fit in my purse- minus liquids, of course. This photo comes from my last cruise. It includes:

• 24 Tums
  • 12 Pepcid
  • 6 Pepto
  • 6 Motion sickness patches
  • 9 Insect Relief pads
  • 6 Alcohol pads
  • I don't remember how many bandages
  • 12 Bonine
  • 15 Aleve
  • 12 Medi-Lyte
  • 24 Excedrin
  • 12 Lactaid
  • 14 (?) Zyrtec
  • 24 Tylenol PM
  • 15 Imodium
  • 35 Advil
  • 15 Gas-X
  • 24 Tylenol

For things I don't regularly use, I cut the instructions from the back of the box and put them in the bag.

21jn6ex.jpg

Everything fits in a 5x7" pouch.

• Like 1

OMG.:rolleyes:

I usually pack 2 IV kits along with 3 units of O- blood. It fits nicely below my surgical kit. You can never be too careful ya know.:eek:

Perhaps! Sounds like "over kill" in that list none the less. I mean why not add some "plaster of Paris" to make a cast in case you break an arm....or a set of crutches in case you sprain an ankle. ugh! :rolleyes:

:')you guys are HILARIOUS:')

OP - This is what I mean. Don't overpack. Pack the meds that you actually use back home on a daily basis. I could maybe see carrying nitro and aspirin even if you never had heart attack before, but don't go overboard. You don't need 3 different OTC pain killers in the same first aid kit. If there was a true emergency, most of these meds won't help and you'll need to see the doctor no matter how expensive it is.

As far as clothing, I would take out 2 shirts and 1 pair of pants when you are done packing. You don't need as much. I'd swap them out for more underwear and socks.

I also love packing cubes. They make it easy to "unpack" I do bring a small set of OTC like ibuprofen, allergy pills, pepto and cold meds. This year I'm going on a cruise of of NYC in October so I'm also packing a small throw. I plan to spend a lot of time out on deck and don't want cool weather to deter me.

Just think about what you plan to do and where you plan to do it. Start a list and just add anything that comes to mind. Then when you are ready to pack go over the lost and cut out the things you won't really need. Consider the size of luggage you want to take. If you force yourself to stick with a carryon size case you will quickly realize you need to skinny down your list. As someone else mentioned, keep in mind the things you can or cannot acquire on board on in port if you really think you may need it.

I am amazed at how rude people can be on here sometimes. This thread did not call for any criticisms of other's posts. The OP just wanted suggestions. Different strokes for different folks. Phissy: thanks for your suggestions.

GEEZ...just trying to help others who may not have thought of some items. CHEERS

Swells1: This is awesome! Will you please make a kit up for me? :halo: Pretty please.

I believe in bringing along the entire medicine aisle with me. I bring things I never use at home, but I'd much rather have it and not need it...

I spend a little time and my first aid kit can fit in my purse- minus liquids, of course. This photo comes from my last cruise. It includes:

• 24 Tums
  • 12 Pepcid
  • 6 Pepto
  • 6 Motion sickness patches
  • 9 Insect Relief pads
  • 6 Alcohol pads
  • I don't remember how many bandages
  • 12 Bonine
  • 15 Aleve
  • 12 Medi-Lyte
  • 24 Excedrin
  • 12 Lactaid
  • 14 (?) Zyrtec
  • 24 Tylenol PM
  • 15 Imodium
  • 35 Advil
  • 15 Gas-X
  • 24 Tylenol

For things I don't regularly use, I cut the instructions from the back of the box and put them in the bag.

21jn6ex.jpg

Everything fits in a 5x7" pouch.

This is a common practice if one is traveling to a 3rd world country. It is for traveller's diarrhea. Normally, they write for only a 3 day supply.

I sure don't want to tell people what to do.

but, we have LOTS of stuff in our home medical closet. I would still have to make a trip to the store to complete at least half of that long list posted earlier.

the advice someone posted about stuff you take regular/semi-regular at home is good. Three or four different pain relievers... not so much.

I will never travel outside of the country without my Aleve D (cold meds) ever again. On day 3 of our last cruise I came down with the worst cold/sinus infection I've ever had. Ended up sleeping in a lounge char instead of snorkeling and was so weak I could hardly walk for the rest of the cruise. Got off the ship stopped at a drug store, got my Aleve D and was feeling so much better in less than an hour. If I had had my meds I would still not have been 100%, but would have at least enjoyed my cruise. The cold medicine on the cruise ship didn't work and I looked at several drug stores in port, but couldn't find what I was looking for....

What I learned from the last cruise is that I can pack a lot less next time!

Helpful things... I took a large purse. Inside of that purse I carried a large zip lock of first aid stuff, chargers, travel documents, and the small purse that I actually used. This helped free up space in the carry on and I didn't have to dig for important stuff.

Someone mentioned wearing shoes and packing flip flops and I agree. I'll pack one pair for the pool and a cute pair that will go with sundresses at night.

The most helpful extras that I brought were extra hooks that went over the bathroom door and a collapsible hamper. Both $5 at 5 below. It helped keep the clutter down with 4 of us in the room.

I sure don't want to tell people what to do.

but, we have LOTS of stuff in our home medical closet. I would still have to make a trip to the store to complete at least half of that long list posted earlier.

the advice someone posted about stuff you take regular/semi-regular at home is good. Three or four different pain relievers... not so much.

Ha Ha Ha L.o.L. 19,995 post worth of Not telling people what to do. :')

I don't understand why people want to get so wound up over the fact that others like to bring a first aid kit. It's not like they're asking to put it in your suitcase.

Personally I do take a small kit with standard things I might use at home. Yes, its unlikley I'll need some of it, but it takes no room and I'll be very glad of it if I do.

No, I meant no one needs to bring first aid kits, cold medicines, bandages for a sprain, batteries, and etc. That is an ex of overpacking imo b/c a lot of that stuff can be bought or are unnecessary.

I always bring a first aid kit....we have been on 2 cruises where we spent WAY more than usual for a fall/abrasion and a poison ivy outbreak! The cost of bandages in Canada is significantly more than in the US, as we learned the hard way....after spending over $100 on gauze, tape, ace wraps, and band aides! Now I always carry a medium sized make-up bag with meds and bandages. We have used it on many cruises!