Chops v Giovanni's - Anniversary Dinner Decision!

Thank you for this question! I was having the same dilemma with our anniversary dinner. But, after reading comments, we will do chops, mostly for ambiance, then for food. It'll make a romantic time for our anniversary dinner! Happy anniversary to you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In last 4 years we have done Giovanni's at least a dozen times on 3 different ships and Chops about half that , always thought Giovanni's had better ambiance and less noise

We just got off of Oasis on Sunday, and if the menu changes that they made to Giovanni's go fleet wide, we will never eat there again. They had a completely different menu than what was on Oasis when we were on her in May, and the restaurant seemed to be shifting to a more Bucca de Beppo style of everyone sitting at long tables passing communal dishes around "family-style". We knew we were in trouble when a waiter came around before we ordered and offered us a tray of desert selections, and then came back later with a plank of antipasto meats and cheeses. But if you like pork belly, it was featured in half of their entrees. Don't order the linguine with clam sauce if you expect to actually get any clams however.

Orville99:

Throughout the past 4 years, I also have been watching the decline in the RC specialty restaurants. Chops used to be excellent but starting three years ago we would experience misses and the past two years have had steaks/main entrees that we just couldn't eat and had to take back. This past May, we were on the Harmony figured since we dine at specialty restaurants each evening to go to Chops twice so we can have an assortment of different restaurants....we went to Chops the first night and not only was the service not good, the steak was terribly disappointing to myself, I believe my father in law has some type of seafood dish at which he did not care for either and my other half said his was nothing special....it was so disappointing that we cancelled our second dinner reservation and decided the best specialty restaurant on board was 150 Central Park.

Jaimie's Italian on the Harmony is NOT real authentic Italian cuisine, heck, what does an Englishman know about Italian food?! It is more of an American Italian cuisine and truly disappointing except for the antipasto dish which was very good with excellent imported parmesan cheese, other than that, your correct its just like Bucca de Peppo or that other non Italian English fast food restaurant Carabba's. We had a third night booked here as we love Italian food and cancelled that. Needless to say, one night we dined at Chops, two evenings Jamie's and found our most favorite restaurant was 150 Central Park which overall remains to be excellent and we dined here 4 nights.

I am finding RC is diminishing in the food area of its specialty restaurants, but I cannot speak yet of Giovanni's because the last time I was on a ship that had this dining establishment was on the Allure two years ago. I have a cruise planned in October on the Oasis and have three nights reserved there so I shall see.

Although the food is diminishing in these specialty restaurants it STILL beats what you get in the MDR as far as food and service.

Orville99:

Throughout the past 4 years, I also have been watching the decline in the RC specialty restaurants. Chops used to be excellent but starting three years ago we would experience misses and the past two years have had steaks/main entrees that we just couldn't eat and had to take back. This past May, we were on the Harmony figured since we dine at specialty restaurants each evening to go to Chops twice so we can have an assortment of different restaurants....we went to Chops the first night and not only was the service not good, the steak was terribly disappointing to myself, I believe my father in law has some type of seafood dish at which he did not care for either and my other half said his was nothing special....it was so disappointing that we cancelled our second dinner reservation and decided the best specialty restaurant on board was 150 Central Park.

Jaimie's Italian on the Harmony is NOT real authentic Italian cuisine, heck, what does an Englishman know about Italian food?! It is more of an American Italian cuisine and truly disappointing except for the antipasto dish which was very good with excellent imported parmesan cheese, other than that, your correct its just like Bucca de Peppo or that other non Italian English fast food restaurant Carabba's. We had a third night booked here as we love Italian food and cancelled that. Needless to say, one night we dined at Chops, two evenings Jamie's and found our most favorite restaurant was 150 Central Park which overall remains to be excellent and we dined here 4 nights.

I am finding RC is diminishing in the food area of its specialty restaurants, but I cannot speak yet of Giovanni's because the last time I was on a ship that had this dining establishment was on the Allure two years ago. I have a cruise planned in October on the Oasis and have three nights reserved there so I shall see.

Although the food is diminishing in these specialty restaurants it STILL beats what you get in the MDR as far as food and service.

If you go out to RCL's website and pull up the Giovanni's menu, expect what you will get at Giovanni's on Oasis to be a complete disappointment. The published menu was the menu when we sailed on Oasis in May, and the food was excellent, but literally nothing on that menu was on the menu that we were presented last Tuesday when we went to Giovanni's on Oasis.

Seconding the 150 Central Park suggestion. That was far superior in terms of what you'd want for a special meal.

Chop's comes in second place. Good food and service, nothing incredibly memorable though.

We were disappointed in Giovanni's and don't plan to go back.

Hi all! Help me decide! We are on the Jewel in March and wanted to do a nice (delicious) dinner for our anniversary. I currently have reservations made for Chops Grille but I've seen both good and bad about it.

Would you opt for Chops or Giovanni's?

Chops!

Seconding the 150 Central Park suggestion. That was far superior in terms of what you'd want for a special meal.

Chop's comes in second place. Good food and service, nothing incredibly memorable though.

We were disappointed in Giovanni's and don't plan to go back.

I am sure that is good but poster is in Jewel and that is only on a couple of newer ships

If you go out to RCL's website and pull up the Giovanni's menu, expect what you will get at Giovanni's on Oasis to be a complete disappointment. The published menu was the menu when we sailed on Oasis in May, and the food was excellent, but literally nothing on that menu was on the menu that we were presented last Tuesday when we went to Giovanni's on Oasis.

Is there a screen shot or link to the oasis' 'new menu' floating about?

Is there a screen shot or link to the oasis' 'new menu' floating about?

I wish now that I had taken a photo of the new menu. It was quite a pathetic range of entrees and appetizers, and they didn't even bother to identify everything that was in the entrees. DW ordered what she thought was a vegetarian dish, but since they forgot to mention that it was actually sea bass anywhere on the menu, she ended up with a dish she couldn't eat. I tried it and it was hopelessly overcooked, so she didn't miss out on anything.:rolleyes: I ordered the linguine with clam sauce, and other than a half dozen rubbery clams in their shells around the edge of the dish, there wasn't a single clam in the sauce.:(. Maybe someone currently on Oasis will see this thread and take a picture.

Chef's table is totally awesome.

But then you are sharing your anniversary with other guests. I'd do it for a different dinner.

I agree that Chef's Table is great, but FYI to those who may not know at Chef's Table every course is paired with a specific wine. So if you do not drink wine, this may not be for you. Also, it is a 2 to 3 hour affair. Food is delicious. :)