Passenger dropoff and pickup at San Francisco.

yags

We live in San Francisco Bay area but next June will be the first time we have cruised out of the city going to Alaska on the Grand. We are well aware of the congestion in downtown S.F. so how does getting dropped off and picked up work?

And do you go back to that same curb when being picked up by a private car?

After you pick up your luggage in the terminal, you go right out to the curb. Cars are allowed to come in and pick up passengers. I have my cousin pick us up at 10:00 am. Most people have already disembarked, and the new passengers haven't arrived yet. It's also after the morning commute times, so it's not as congested on Embarcadero.

After you pick up your luggage in the terminal, you go right out to the curb. Cars are allowed to come in and pick up passengers. I have my cousin pick us up at 10:00 am. Most people have already disembarked, and the new passengers haven't arrived yet. It's also after the morning commute times, so it's not as congested on Embarcadero.

Thanks for the info..My daughter or SOL will be dropping us off and picking us up and now I can tell them exactly what time.

If you are at pier 27, which you most likely will be, the drop off and pick up is in a big circular driveway just off the Embarcadero ... it isn't right at the street level as someone made it sound. You will be guided to the right area by the staff working at the pier ... warning, they aren't very friendly, at least in my numerous experiences there. But once there, your ride will drop you off right where the porters will take your luggage. Then, for pick up by private car, they will send you across this two lane driveway where there are benches (not nearly enough) and large cement planters where you can wait for your ride. I've even seen cars parked there while waiting for passengers so, it isn't like the airport where they will shoe one along for waiting there too long. If it gets too busy, I am sure they will have to but I haven't encountered that at all. There is a place further along the driveway that I've seen limos and cars parked for their pick ups. It is really set up well there ... so unlike Pier 35, where you are being dropped off and picked up right there on the Embarcadero. Now, that was a mess!!

It looks like you're in Dixon. We use a TA in Sacramento that provides a free bus to and from the ship at Pier 27, SF. She has different pick up spots. You might check around.

Thanks for the Info. Although I do live in Dixon now we are being picked up by family from Pacifica.

Thanks for the Info. Although I do live in Dixon now we are being picked up by family from Pacifica.

I would recommend having them drop you off at the ship around 11:00 am. Everyone from the last cruise will be off the ship and it won't be super busy yet. You will give your checked bags to the porter, fill out the health forms, go through security, then go to check-in and get your room key. This takes about 30 minutes. If everything is on time, the ship will start boarding around 11:30, sometimes 12:00. You will be good to go. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info..My daughter or SOL will be dropping us off and picking us up and now I can tell them exactly what time.

It may take up to half an hour to get down the ramp and through immigration. We have found it works well to have our ride wait in a parking spot along Bay Street and then start for the pier when we call them from luggage pickup.