Hurricane irma....ugh

I wouldn't consider booking a cruise during hurricane season.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

June 1 - November 30 is out. What about those Northeast winters? So sailing out of NYC would be excluded from say mid Dec - mid March. I guess those of us in the NE can only sail April and May. Really???:confused:

As someone else stated... comments like these are not helpful.

Yeah I'm really over this crap. We're supposed to be doing in eastern Caribbean trip and now I'm hearing that it's likely will do a Western Caribbean trip. I've been to the west four times already including six months ago and I really do not care to go back I just want my money back

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For your sake, I hope they cancel. I, too, would be disappointed in an itinerary change, but of course, they reserve the right to do so for safety's sake.

I wouldn't consider booking a cruise during hurricane season.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We almost always cruise in hurricane season. We live in Maine, so not much of a point to leave here in the summer. The odds that you are effected is minimal. We have probably 12 hurricane season cruises under our belt, with two port changes the only issue. Typically the major issue is the port city being hit, which is unfortunate with Irma, but again quite rare in the bigger picture.

Yeah I'm really over this crap. We're supposed to be doing in eastern Caribbean trip and now I'm hearing that it's likely will do a Western Caribbean trip. I've been to the west four times already including six months ago and I really do not care to go back I just want my money back

SMH....have you seen the pics and videos out of St Maarten today?

Not yet but I was really looking forward to being there in a few days :(

That is definitely out of the question for a little bit. Unless, of course, you want to help pick up the pieces. It got hit really hard and Saint Thomas is next, as well as San Juan and the rest of PR.

June 1 - November 30 is out. What about those Northeast winters? So sailing out of NYC would be excluded from say mid Dec - mid March. I guess those of us in the NE can only sail April and May. Really???:confused:

As someone else stated... comments like these are not helpful.

I really don't care if you find my comments helpful or not, just stating an obvious fact. There are plenty of other places in the world to visit.

I find most of the comments here very egoistic, no thoughts for all the poor people who have lost their homes and livelihoods.

I really don't care if you find my comments helpful or not, just stating an obvious fact. There are plenty of other places in the world to visit.

I find most of the comments here very egoistic, no thoughts for all the poor people who have lost their homes and livelihoods.

Amen

That is definitely out of the question for a little bit. Unless, of course, you want to help pick up the pieces. It got hit really hard and Saint Thomas is next, as well as San Juan and the rest of PR.

St. Thomas port webcam has been knocked out already.

I have never understood why someone isn't allowed to be upset about something that is happening in their own lives. Yeah someone somewhere might have it worse than you. Just like those who are directly affected by this hurricane. There are people who are worse off than them elsewhere in the world. But you don't tell them that their worry or their concerns for the events in their life are nothing and that it could always be worse, do you?

Everybody has different things in their life that upsets their day to day living and EVERYONE has the right to be upset about it, big or small. It doesn't make you selfish or ungrateful for the good you do have. I will not feel bad that I am upset, worried and nervous about something that is affecting my life and that of my husband and my son's.

That second photo is another great example of sensationalizing news: First, the 400 miles is the extent of storm impact, not the extent of hurricane effects. Second, the 400 miles is a diameter not the radius. Storms are invariably described in terms of where their centers are, so it makes sense to describe the breadth of storms in terms of their radius, but describing them in terms of diameter makes it sound so much more sensational. While it is important for everyone in Florida to be prepared, without the contextual clues, such as the center of the storm and when the center will reach Hernando County north of Tampa (i.e., probably Monday or Tuesday, assuming it doesn't veer off), it isn't actually news, it's just a news organization posting click bait.

I have never understood why someone isn't allowed to be upset about something that is happening in their own lives. Yeah someone somewhere might have it worse than you. Just like those who are directly affected by this hurricane. There are people who are worse off than them elsewhere in the world. But you don't tell them that their worry or their concerns for the events in their life are nothing and that it could always be worse, do you?

Everybody has different things in their life that upsets their day to day living and EVERYONE has the right to be upset about it, big or small. It doesn't make you selfish or ungrateful for the good you do have. I will not feel bad that I am upset, worried and nervous about something that is affecting my life and that of my husband and my son's.

APPLAUSE!

It takes a special, sad kind of person to come on a board specifically about a big storm and cruises that may be affected to complain that people are complaining about their cruises being affected. :rolleyes:

I can be upset over Harvey victims, terrorist attacks in London, THIS STORM and its potential devastation to where its hitting, AND worry about my cruise. If some posters don't like it, too bad so sad. They are only here to gloat and blame anyway-the one's doing it don't even have a cruise affected. LOL

i am on the magic sept 9. i don't think any of you that have not been through a cat 5 hurricane know what it is like. i went through andrew in homestead fl. we did not have electricity or phone for 6 weeks. it is not just the storm it is the after effects. if any place in fl gets a direct hit it will take a long time to recover. so i don't think it would be anytime soon for the cruise to leave. also they are out of bottled water and the grocery stores are out of most things.gas stations are starting to close, hotel prices in orlando are going for $400.00 a night already. so think seriously before you think you can just go down and not be affected. i really hope they cancel

My brother is on the Carnival Fascination right now in the Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico. They are due to return on Sunday. He said there hasn't been a single announcement about the hurricane and so far no changes to their itinerary. He said he is surprised they have not mentioned it at all especially since Puerto Rico is their home port.

Thanks for the update. I'd love for you to stay in touch with your brother and post updates here.

The Fascination should be in Barbados today, which is well south of Irma. Tomorrow they'll be in St. Lucia, which probably seeing some minor effects right now, but should be fine to visit by then. Things start to become interesting on Friday, when they're due to visit St. Kitts. They should be very close to the center, so they might have to make alternate plans. Saturday is St. Maarten, which I've heard was (and is) hit very hard. And then the return to San Juan. Irma will be long gone from there by then, but nobody knows how much damage it's going to take. I wish everyone well.

Port Canaveral closing for Saturday. I am also on Carnival Magic on the 9th. The Magic is in Belize today so I am sure they will keep it a couple of days longer in the gulf and change our itinerary to a 5 day. We should know this afternoon. The 11:00 update has moved the storm a little bit more east. I just had a friend try to extend her hotel reservation and they are getting crazy money for additional days. Also anybody flying in and renting cars need to realize that many stations are out of gas. Everybody be safe.

We're cruising out of Charleston on the Carnival Ecstasy Friday, September 15. I'm thinking (hoping) everything will have calmed down by then, but thinking worst case is we may be diverted if our ports of call have been damaged.

Port Canaveral closing for Saturday. I am also on Carnival Magic on the 9th. The Magic is in Belize today so I am sure they will keep it a couple of days longer in the gulf and change our itinerary to a 5 day. We should know this afternoon. The 11:00 update has moved the storm a little bit more east. I just had a friend try to extend her hotel reservation and they are getting crazy money for additional days. Also anybody flying in and renting cars need to realize that many stations are out of gas. Everybody be safe.

Where did you find this info? I looked on the Port Canaveral Port Authority website. They have updates posted about the storm but not that they will be closed.