What will an "obstructed ocean view" cabin get me on the Jade?

lucywestie

Just thinking of going from an inside to an obstructed view on the Jade for our upcoming Xmas cruise. If we upgrade to it it will be $400 (Canadian $) more but that would also now include the specialty dining package on top of the Ultimate Beverage Package.

How bad would or could an obstructed cabin be?

Is that O-OV with a choice of stateroom or a GTY, to be assigned by NCL for this holiday sailing, typically sold-out.

These O-OV are typically on the Jewel/Jade/Gem class ships - one of the many lifeboat views on Deck 8 midship, between the Fwd & Midship elevators (most with a single picture window of up to 75% to 90% obstruction - plenty of natural light, and a walkway outside where maintenance crew are known to do work while docked) It is slightly roomier than the typical Inside stateroom, not by much - closet space & bathroom are same sized.

If it is a GTY or guaranteed - you might "benefit" from a free upgrade to a "better" & higher category OV stateroom, including but not limited to a port-hole FWD on deck 4 or deck 5, or picture window without obstruction on one of the deck ... Some might be noisy, i.e. below the gallery or bar/lounge or "undesirable" being near ship's mechanical systems, etc.

So, at $400 per cabin or $200 p/p x 2, you are essentially getting the above AND the specialty dining package for 2 for 3 nights (check your offer details) ... plus an automatic service charge of 18% added.

This was our O-OV on the Gem recently, Deck 8 Mid-ship with 2 smaller vertical windows that sleep 2 ... we're fine with being assigned to this.

d6de630db3e64bae3c4a2782079f9c32.jpg

7a2b6e043f8f6799b64b266b5147bec5.jpg

I debated this for an upcoming cruise on the Pearl. Considered booking the lowest category oceanview guarantee but looking at the deck plans I just couldn't risk one of the obstructed ocean views right by O'Sheehans and the atrium (noise and foot traffic). With the guarantee I had to be willing to accept the absolute worst location. Having the option to actually select a specific obstructed oceanview cabin I might have been willing.

Just thinking of going from an inside to an obstructed view on the Jade for our upcoming Xmas cruise. If we upgrade to it it will be $400 (Canadian $) more but that would also now include the specialty dining package on top of the Ultimate Beverage Package.

How bad would or could an obstructed cabin be?

I assume you are talking about actually buying the upgrade - NOT the upgrade program. Just needed to clarify.

For $400 you get some kind of outside view and dining/beverage which makes it worthwhile - in my mind anyways.

I agree with others that I would never do an generic ocean view upgrade bid, I think the OP is looking specifically at category OK. I have been in both standard and sideways versions. The view can vary widely, from barely obstructed to totally opaque window, and you would need to find a review, picture or video of a specific cabin to be sure what you will get. I have no problem booking this category and actually prefer them to many other "higher" OV cabins which are in worse locations. Do pay attention to what is below the cabin. In addition to the occasional workers outside, I have heard complaints about noise from the hallways above, as the cabins are inset and the deck 9 hallway is above the room. This seems to be more of a problem on cruises with many children.

Here's my 2 cents about obstructed view. Unless you really really need a window for some odd reason they are not worth the extra money at all. Don't expect a view with an obstructed view - you might get lucky and get some type of view but don't count on it. Save your money - stay inside and then spend it on doing something else. If you want to upgrade - trust me we have cruised inside, obstructed, picture window and balcony - upgrade to balcony and be done with it. The obstructed and picture window were complete waste in my opinion.

We just got back from the Jade on a 10 day cruise to Norway. We had the obstructed view sideways cabin 8566

and loved it. We could see straight through the 2 doors of the lifeboat 6. We also had the specialty dining package, which we thought was so so. Cagney's and le bistro was nice but not the others. To each its own.

Sent from my R1 HD using Forums mobile app

OP here. So yes, I am talking about purchasing the obstructed view, not a free upgrade. Currently the dining package would cost us approx $230 for both my wife and I. With it being included as a freebie along with the drink package on the obstructed view cabin (and we eat in the specialty restaurants so we would have probably bought it separately anyway) the boost to the slightly better cabin works out to about $170 for the 10 day cruise. ($400 for the total cost of the upgrade minus the dining package)

That's not a bad deal to me, especially if you want the second promotion. I would search the cruise's available cabins on this forum's sticky cabin information thread and youtube to possibly get an idea of what the view looks like.