Hurricane Irma Discussion Here

PelicanBill

What is the chance that the Miami, Ft Lauderdale cruise piers will be damaged by Irma?

Unless there are ships that break away from mornings and are driven in to piers, they should be just fine. The Terminal buildings are another matter. They may be damaged by the surge or the winds. There should be gust over 150mph, maybe even over 200mph.

[...]Using the sidewalk posts as a reference, the water level on Front St in the videos I saw was just under 3 feet. Certainly enough to flood the first floors of businesses. Other videos showed missing roofs, smashed vehicles - one showed a jeep with the hood peeled back like a banana. I can't imagine having to hunker down through that.

If the waters were 3' when this post storm picture was taken, as the eye passed I would expect 12'+ as the surge. I wonder how the cruise terminal infrastructure survived.

RCL is using Enchantment as an evacuation shelter for their Miami head office staff and their families. They cancelled the cruise for 8/09 but the head office staff will be onboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they just going to sit in port or get out of harms way?

Do you think Jose will cause problems for cruises leaving Miami on 9/16? We would be flying in late on 9/13 if things are looking OK.

Current models keep Jose well out to sea. If you fly into Miami on the 13th for a cruise on thew 16th you might need to check you hotel reservation. If the building suffers damage it might not reopen for weeks.

of primary concern of course is for the survival and safety of the islands' residents...secondarily, is the livelihood of the residents since I know tourism is the lifeblood for many of these islands..of lesser importance--but still reality--is the effect on cruise ship itineraries...from what I've seen and heard about st thomas sadly I am doubtful october cruises will be able to port there...I think the same for st maarten...it seems like nassau is in much better shape...what about torto

la? does anyone know how much damage occurred there? any feedback is appreciated...again, my prayers and heart are with the people of these islands...other discussion is just a distraction to me from the worry and stress

We are suppose to leave 9/10 on NCl Breakaway for Bermuda. Jose supposed to head towards Bermuda. NCL still hasn't notified us with there intentions are. Some threads have been saying we could go to Canada. Anyone with any info will be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are suppose to leave 9/10 on NCl Breakaway for Bermuda. Jose supposed to head towards Bermuda. NCL still hasn't notified us with there intentions are. Some threads have been saying we could go to Canada. Anyone with any info will be helpful.

Sorry forgot to say we are leaving out of NYC

If the waters were 3' when this post storm picture was taken, as the eye passed I would expect 12'+ as the surge. I wonder how the cruise terminal infrastructure survived.

That makes sense since the water was moving at a pretty good clip. Receeding given that the storm had passed.

I was on the Breakaway sailing that did not make it to Bermuda last year. I packed cold weather clothes just in case. We went south but be ready for anything. Like us, they may not tell you until you are on board!

I do not believe Jose is a real threat to Bermuda at this time.

It will be Tuesday or Wednesday before Jose is near/hitting Bermuda. It is too early to tell its path, speed, strength, etc so how would you expect NCL to have made a decision yet?

If they have to alter your route, the sailing could easily go south just as well as north - both routes should be far away from Jose.

5pm NHC update has no good news. Two landfalls at major hurrican strength. Impact looks as big as Harvey in population- anyone seen an estimate of evacuations and population affected? Probably bigger. 7 or more cities close to center. Jose will make recovery miserable for a day in the leewards and then taking aim at Bermuda. Pictures and reports are terrible from St. Maarten/Martin, Barbuda, BVI and USVI. Sad.

8PM Update.

21371254_1528608393871302_2400256177666136253_n.png?oh=76e13a72bd580b168618d92afb17f5f0&oe=5A231D1B

Wow, this is turning into the worst case scenario by missing Dominica and Cuba. This is going to be one terrible disaster for the South East US. Anyone in Florida should get out immediately. Hotels are basically sold out here in Nashville already for this weekend (93% booked according to Hotels.com!) because of people headed north. Be safe all!