Hurricane Irma Discussion Here

PelicanBill

Sounds like so many beautiful islands have been wiped out, some will take years to return to a level of normality and probably never return to how they were. We're booked for an Eastern Caribbean cruise in Jan 18 but will be sadly cancelling today as even with 4 months to rebuild and repair our ports of call will still probably be a disaster zone - will head for the Maldives instead and hope to return to the Caribbean in 2019

So the shift of the track back to the center of the Florida peninsula is good news if it holds. It takes energy out of the storm faster and reduces impact to the coast. The critical time will be tomorrow (Saturday) night. Watch to see if it makes the turn exactly as forecast. Turns are notorious for being a bit variable from forecast. A little sooner and we are back to the serious coastal impact. A little late and the west coast needs to batten down.

Google has created and put out an Irma Response Tool - toggle the settings in Layers, one can see shelter & fuel and traffic info (Waze feeds) as well as other real-time raw data ... drawn from variety of sources (Maps & Earth, etc.)

http://google.org/crisismap/2017-irma?hl=en&llbox=35.46%2C11.66%2C-40.38%2C-100.41&t=TERRAIN&layers=3%2C1340721332252%2C30%2C1%2C31%2C32%2C5%2C49%2C15%2C11%2C20%2C12%2Clayer9%2Clayer8

I've bookmarked it to help keep track, it's zoomable - another useful tool for tracking. For Bahamas, looked like it might've avoid a direct-hit hard, Nassau's PTZtv webcam was still running last I checked, very windy ... and storm surf/flooding expected ... but nothing like those on the other smaller islands. If true, between Puerto Rico and Nassau - those airports could be a vital lifeline to fly in emergency supplies in the rescue & recovery efforts as staging to other islands.

As for the latest storm, at T minus 18 hours to landfall somewhere in south Florida, given the size of this monster hurricane with 150 mph wind, even if somewhat weakened - is going to do lots of damages & destruction, swells & storm surge with high tides are not going to be kind or gentle.

Keep our thoughts & prayers for all those affected by these storms in the middle of a busy hurricane season as predicted. Every household should have an disaster/emergency all-hazards preparedness plan and well-stocked Go-Kits.

I thought I read yesterday that the RCL employee were on the ship and it was leaving Miami with all onboard sailing away from Irma.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many ships that left yesterday ran southwest toward the west end of Cuba to escape. Not a bad path given Jose hanging out east and the uncertain path of Irma east or west yesterday.

Sounds like so many beautiful islands have been wiped out, some will take years to return to a level of normality and probably never return to how they were. We're booked for an Eastern Caribbean cruise in Jan 18 but will be sadly cancelling today as even with 4 months to rebuild and repair our ports of call will still probably be a disaster zone - will head for the Maldives instead and hope to return to the Caribbean in 2019

I appreciate the sentiment, but maybe because I'm 4 months after you and I'm happy to be going back to St Martin. By then much will be cleaned up but there will be a lot of scars. All I need is a beach chair and the sun to spend a day on Orient Beach.

Puerto Rico only has an electric grid stable enough for a hurricane 3. NPR

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

For cruisers coming up, I hope the electric coming back on is closer to 4 months than 6. There is a lot of rebuilding.

As with Cuba, there may be cruises to help rebuild.

For cruisers coming up, I hope the electric coming back on is closer to 4 months than 6. There is a lot of rebuilding.

As with Cuba, there may be cruises to help rebuild.

Misspoke, as with Haiti. Cuba for cultural excursion cruises.

With that latest track all the stores in the Charlotte, NC, area should run out of milk, bread and bottled water by noon Monday. I never understood why toilet paper wasn't on that list.

I've never understood bread, unless it is not white bread. What about eggs and preserved meats? Soy and almond milk that don't need refrigeration.

338220d0c84c4f24fc36159d7b7cfc37.jpg

It looks like Tampa will be getting a direct hit. [emoji26]

Sent from Middle Earth.

Not quite (we hope). The current projections are that Irma will come ashore around Naples or Fort Myers, so it will weaken before it hits Tampa. We've only got 3-5 feet of storm surge forecast...so far. If it keeps jogging west and doesn't make that turn to the north soon, then Tampa is in serious trouble. Things are pretty chaotic here already.

Chaotic here in Orlando too. We had a sinkhole open on Highway 50, which is the main east west road in Orange and Lake Counties.

8PM Update.

21317971_1529808180417990_7819299327881424635_n.png?oh=dd5d548268da474e72c1cf46f74505fe&oe=5A5DD022

Walt Disney World, Universal, and the other parks are closing early tomorrow and remaining closed until Tuesday.

What a juxtaposition

Chaotic here in Orlando too. We had a sinkhole open on Highway 50, which is the main east west road in Orange and Lake Counties.

8PM Update.

21317971_1529808180417990_7819299327881424635_n.png?oh=dd5d548268da474e72c1cf46f74505fe&oe=5A5DD022

Walt Disney World, Universal, and the other parks are closing early tomorrow and remaining closed until Tuesday.

How dare Disney open on Tuesday and invite guests to head into a disaster area. What a money grab.

</sarcasm>