Tropical Storm Jose

stev5138

Earlier this year, there were lots of posters belittling the heavy storm activity and frequency forecast by the Weather Service.

Lots of jokes about being inaccurate, flat out wrong, wish I had a job that allowed me to be right just 50% of the time, they can't predict rain or shine tomorrow, how can they make a prediction for the next 3 months, , etc. etc. etc.

I don't happen to see the same kind of posts now.

Earlier this year, there were lots of posters belittling the heavy storm activity and frequency forecast by the Weather Service.

Lots of jokes about being inaccurate, flat out wrong, wish I had a job that allowed me to be right just 50% of the time, they can't predict rain or shine tomorrow, how can they make a prediction for the next 3 months, , etc. etc. etc.

I don't happen to see the same kind of posts now.

There's plenty of time for those posts to show up because at this point they're still not even sure where/if Irma will even hit. It could just be a whole lot of rain like last year when they predicted Matthew to wreak havoc, and all it did was rain all day.

I for one can't stand how the media plays up every single potential storm to be the coming Apocalypse and love it when they wind up wrong with egg on their faces.

I for one can't stand how the media plays up every single potential storm to be the coming Apocalypse and love it when they wind up wrong with egg on their faces.
I agree, and while I feel that civil authorities should prompt residents to take all reasonable precautions, I do think that media and social media do a gross disservice fostering panic and over-reaction among the general public beyond those living directly in the path of a destructive storm.

I know that the Media had a strong role to play in the fight we had last week to get gas in Central and North Texas! They were playing up all the shortages that 'are happening right now' until they were right... and everyone in their panic ran to the gas station to fill up...

But I agree that we need to listen to the officials when they say be prepared... or evacuate... or shelter in place. Or my personal favorite- if there's water on the road, DON'T DRIVE THROUGH IT! Turn around, don't drown!

The media.....how many stories were in the media about the 19" of rain that flooded Fort Myers last week - or the tropical storm that hit Cabo with 60 mph winds? How many know about TS 13 forming in the Gulf right now?

The June 1 prediction ridiculed by some here on CC was for :

The Colorado State University (CSU) Tropical Meteorology Project outlook headed by Dr. Phil Klotzbach updated its forecast Thursday, calling for an above-average number of named storms with 14 expected. CSU forecasts an average number of hurricanes this year, with six expected in the Atlantic Basin. A below-average number of major hurricanes – two – is also anticipated.

The 30-year historical average (1981-2010) for the Atlantic Basin is 12 named storms, six hurricanes and three major hurricanes. A major hurricane is of Category 3 strength or higher on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

NOAA issued its forecast at the end of May and called for:

• Eleven to 17 named storms – including April's Tropical Storm Arlene.
  • Five to nine of which would become hurricanes.
  • Two to four of which would become major hurricanes.

An important note is that Tropical Storm Arlene, which formed in April, is included in the seasonal forecast numbers in the outlooks.

No one can ridicle that prediction now, even those who do not kbnow the difference between a rainstorm and a tropical storm.

It could just be a whole lot of rain like last year when they predicted Matthew to wreak havoc, and all it did was rain all day.

You might have gotten lucky, but Matthew did hit land up in South Carolina near Hilton Head and they had a lot of damage, water and many days with out electricity. You can not predict mother nature!

I agree, and while I feel that civil authorities should prompt residents to take all reasonable precautions, I do think that media and social media do a gross disservice fostering panic and over-reaction among the general public beyond those living directly in the path of a destructive storm.

Exactly. This storm isn't supposed to even reach FL until next Sunday and already here in Orlando supermarkets are being cleaned out of all water. I had to try 3 places today just to pick up 2 gallons for myself. Because of the Texas storm, media is using that to instill fear and panic in residents.

It's always wise to be prepared, and you can never have enough water, but the hoarding that's going on already is a bit absurd and I solely blame it on media.

There's plenty of time for those posts to show up because at this point they're still not even sure where/if Irma will even hit. It could just be a whole lot of rain like last year when they predicted Matthew to wreak havoc, and all it did was rain all day.

Matthew kicked the crap out of us, you got lucky.

I wonder why preparedness folks overlook the obvious (to me).

RE: bottled water...you know that a storm is coming.

You know that the stores are short.

What is wrong with filling up your household containers you already have in your kitchens with tap water while it is still running?

My cousin in Houston (who was fortunate to be on an island with power the entire time), put 5 gallon buckets in the yard to fill with rainwater for flushing toilets in the event the water was shut off. We, living in the country, always fill up the bathtubs for the same purpose when it merely rains, in case the power goes out and the wells don't pump.

In a pinch, we have old clothes we could burn (if we couldn't find dry tinder) to BOIL water to drink. (Boiling 5 minutes kills parasites, let cool before drinking.)

You might have gotten lucky, but Matthew did hit land up in South Carolina near Hilton Head and they had a lot of damage, water and many days with out electricity. You can not predict mother nature!

We drove down I-95 along the Florida coast the day after Matthew raked the area. From Palm Bay up to Jacksonville (and no doubt beyond), there were trees down everywhere, parts of the interstate were closed due to debris/damage and power would be out (we were told) for days.

We were very lucky on that drive, even finding a gas station with power not long before we would have run out. Others weren't so lucky.

RE: bottled water...you know that a storm is coming.

You know that the stores are short.

What is wrong with filling up your household containers you already have in your kitchens with tap water while it is still running?

This. It amazes me that people think that bottled water is the only drinkable water on the planet. Fill every available clean container that you can get your hands on and you've got enough water to last you at least a week or more. They recommend 1 gallon per day per person. And most times, municipal water will not be cut off at all. We've never lost water in even the worst hurricanes that we've been through. Can't say the same for power, but I can live without power. No running water is just miserable. Resourcefulness and common sense is the key to survival.

Exactly. This storm isn't supposed to even reach FL until next Sunday and already here in Orlando supermarkets are being cleaned out of all water. I had to try 3 places today just to pick up 2 gallons for myself. Because of the Texas storm, media is using that to instill fear and panic in residents.

It's always wise to be prepared, and you can never have enough water, but the hoarding that's going on already is a bit absurd and I solely blame it on media.

This is very true. I'm in Orlando as well, and see nothing but the news forecast which is making everyone freak out. Having been through multiple hurricanes, all you have to do is be prepared (and we are). While I am sure the media is trying to do that, they're sure saying it in a bad way. Hurricane Harvey is a "lesson" per se, but at the same time, you can't stop mother nature. You should always be prepared for a hurricane if you live in FL. I may not like it, and may be scared but all we can do is be prepared for the worse, and hope for the best.

This. It amazes me that people think that bottled water is the only drinkable water on the planet. Fill every available clean container that you can get your hands on and you've got enough water to last you at least a week or more. They recommend 1 gallon per day per person. And most times, municipal water will not be cut off at all. We've never lost water in even the worst hurricanes that we've been through. Can't say the same for power, but I can live without power. No running water is just miserable. Resourcefulness and common sense is the key to survival.

This is what I did. I have filled up every jug/thermos/water bottle we have and only had to buy 1 case of water, to feel "ok" about having enough.

This is what I did. I have filled up every jug/thermos/water bottle we have and only had to buy 1 case of water, to feel "ok" about having enough.

Once FEMA gets on the ground (usually within 3 days) they'll have the Guard passing out ice, water and MREs. If you can supply yourself to last at least that long, it'll usually be fine. After Katrina, we were the last truck in line at the distribution point about a week in. They loaded up the bed of my truck with water and MREs. We ate MREs for months after. LOL. Some are better than others, but most are not too bad. You do have to have a little bit of water to activate the MREs to heat themselves, though.

Everyone knows that you can get blizzards in Dec. Jan. and Feb. Why take a flight then?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Forums mobile app

Being from Maine, this is quite true. And sometimes we even have blizzards in Oct/Nov and as late as April/May. Yes this is peak hurricane season, we get it. But there are other times of the year that can be just as risky.

There is a lot of sensationalism but Matthew did wreck havoc in South Carolina (especially Georgetown up to Myrtle Beach)

There is a lot of sensationalism but Matthew did wreck havoc in South Carolina (especially Georgetown up to Myrtle Beach)

Never mind that if they underplay it (such as with Harvey) they get grief too. There is no way for the media or govt to win.