Penthouse vs. Royal Suite

writerjoe

Our first ever cruise was in an RS on Silhouette for a 9-night Mediterranean last September. We were VERY happy with the suite and the level of service. I booked our second cruise as an 11-night Ultimate Caribbean this coming January on Reflection, however, there was only SS and CS available. I booked the last CS with the hope that an RS would eventually open up. Well, the penthouse become available, so I booked it. This is definitely more cabin than we need for the two of us. Has anyone sailed in both RS and PS? We can still wait and see if an RS becomes available and downgrade before final payment is due. Are there other un-advertised perks of PS over the RS?

Our first ever cruise was in an RS on Silhouette for a 9-night Mediterranean last September. We were VERY happy with the suite and the level of service. I booked our second cruise as an 11-night Ultimate Caribbean this coming January on Reflection, however, there was only SS and CS available. I booked the last CS with the hope that an RS would eventually open up. Well, the penthouse become available, so I booked it. This is definitely more cabin than we need for the two of us. Has anyone sailed in both RS and PS? We can still wait and see if an RS becomes available and downgrade before final payment is due. Are there other un-advertised perks of PS over the RS?

Hey Joe, it's Carol from our last cruise. I'm pretty sure all the perks are the same. We saw Sharon's penthouse

suite. It was HUGE. The balcony was a lot larger but the hot tub is the same bath tub size. There could

be some other perks I'm not aware of though. Enjoy!!! Let me know how it was after you sail.:)

After many very happy RS cruises S class we had our first S class PH experience on the Eclipse in April/May (we had previously experienced M class PH).

The S class PH is quite simply a fantasy of light and space. The floor to ceiling windows are fantastic. It has the only bathroom I have ever felt I exercised in moving from shower to sink!

We are so glad we have experienced an S class PH (thanks Project gal for the recommendation), however, for our next cruise we are happily back in a RS...

Hard to put the difference into words...I guess the RS has everything you need but the S class PH offers a different level of decadence of space and light. If you can afford the PH, just go for it, if you don't you will never really know...We will never regret experiencing it even if we never do it again.

We have cruised a few PH on M class (very different experience) and several S class RS as well as the Eclipse PH mentioned.

In terms of additional perks, unsure...never felt neglected in a RS....I do think a lot depends on your butler and concierge....I also think when you are in a PH you may feel more confident asking for 'that little bit more'....

Not an easy choice, the cost of a PH is significantly more than a RS...I can only say we have really enjoyed experiencing it!

Hey Joe, it's Carol from our last cruise. I'm pretty sure all the perks are the same. We saw Sharon's penthouse

suite. It was HUGE. The balcony was a lot larger but the hot tub is the same bath tub size. There could

be some other perks I'm not aware of though. Enjoy!!! Let me know how it was after you sail.:)

Carol, I don't think we will ever be able to top that cruise! I'm hoping they do another private lunch with the officers for everyone in RS and PS. Can't wait to hear about your upcoming cruise.

After many very happy RS cruises S class we had our first S class PH experience on the Eclipse in April/May (we had previously experienced M class PH).

The S class PH is quite simply a fantasy of light and space. The floor to ceiling windows are fantastic. It has the only bathroom I have ever felt I exercised in moving from shower to sink!

We are so glad we have experienced an S class PH (thanks Project gal for the recommendation), however, for our next cruise we are happily back in a RS...

Hard to put the difference into words...I guess the RS has everything you need but the S class PH offers a different level of decadence of space and light. If you can afford the PH, just go for it, if you don't you will never really know...We will never regret experiencing it even if we never do it again.

We have cruised a few PH on M class (very different experience) and several S class RS as well as the Eclipse PH mentioned.

In terms of additional perks, unsure...never felt neglected in a RS....I do think a lot depends on your butler and concierge....I also think when you are in a PH you may feel more confident asking for 'that little bit more'....

Not an easy choice, the cost of a PH is significantly more than a RS...I can only say we have really enjoyed experiencing it!

Thank you for the great response. We had a fantastic butler and concierge on our first cruise who made the experience in RS a pretty amazing one. Hopefully we feel the same way this cruise in the PS.

We've sailed in CS and RS on both M and S class ships. We prefer the CS and RS on the S class ships. Never sailed in the Penthouse suite but have been a guest in the PS on M class several times and it is amazing, especially the balcony. Have never seen the PS on S class ships.

There is a subtle difference between CS & RS, not sure if there would be a difference between PH & RS but there probably is. Looking to book a PH for our 50th on Millennium if still sailing Alaska when we celebrate that milestone.

We've sailed in CS and RS on both M and S class ships. We prefer the CS and RS on the S class ships. Never sailed in the Penthouse suite but have been a guest in the PS on M class several times and it is amazing, especially the balcony. Have never seen the PS on S class ships.

There is a subtle difference between CS & RS, not sure if there would be a difference between PH & RS but there probably is. Looking to book a PH for our 50th on Millennium if still sailing Alaska when we celebrate that milestone.

The size differences between suites on S-class ships are pretty significant. CS is the size of 2 standard cabins. RS is three. And the penthouse is 6 standard cabins.

Hi Writerjoe

Decided to add my comments for you (even though Chemmo said it all!!) because we are on same cruise as you are on Reflection (Jan. 29). Like you we had RS first and had absolutely no complaints.... since there are just 2 of you,extra "space " and guest bathroom (in PS) are really not needed. However,I think both of you will really enjoy the BIG shower in master bathroom...and the extra space in bedroom.

I thought balcony at RS was more than adequate..... No difference in perks ,and I thought we had as good a service in RS ....Anyway,hope to see you on the cruise....we are in Signature suite this time

Hi Writerjoe

Decided to add my comments for you (even though Chemmo said it all!!) because we are on same cruise as you are on Reflection (Jan. 29). Like you we had RS first and had absolutely no complaints.... since there are just 2 of you,extra "space " and guest bathroom (in PS) are really not needed. However,I think both of you will really enjoy the BIG shower in master bathroom...and the extra space in bedroom.

I thought balcony at RS was more than adequate..... No difference in perks ,and I thought we had as good a service in RS ....Anyway,hope to see you on the cruise....we are in Signature suite this time

Thank you so much. We'd love to see your signature suite onboard if it's not an imposition.

Have sailed in both (RS last year and PH this year, both on Eclipse) and the services/amenities are the same. It's really just the size difference. It's like being in a floating apartment. The bedroom and closet are a dream and so spacious vs. the RS bedroom which I found a bit cramped. The master bathroom alone is equal to the size of some cabins with the best shower I've ever experienced on a ship or in a hotel (and it's set up for two!). The balcony is massive and has multiple loungers instead of the one on the RS balcony so both guests can have one. And the PH has the enormous living area that is great for entertaining if you are traveling with others or want to invite over some people from your roll call. You'll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have sailed in both (RS last year and PH this year, both on Eclipse) and the services/amenities are the same. It's really just the size difference. It's like being in a floating apartment. The bedroom and closet are a dream and so spacious vs. the RS bedroom which I found a bit cramped. The master bathroom alone is equal to the size of some cabins with the best shower I've ever experienced on a ship or in a hotel (and it's set up for two!). The balcony is massive and has multiple loungers instead of the one on the RS balcony so both guests can have one. And the PH has the enormous living area that is great for entertaining if you are traveling with others or want to invite over some people from your roll call. You'll love it!

Thanks so much. Out of curiosity, did your concierge on either cruise set up any special ship tours or a private lunch with officers for RS & PH suite guests? I'm wondering if that is something our last concierge did on his own or if it is becoming a new standard.

You will love the RS. We did not stay in it, but were invited a couple of times. It was huge and in a private hallway. I would stay put, as the CS suites are too crowded for me...I really enjoyed the Reflection...and yes, the shower is huge! The Sig Suites have great high ceilings...

It is so nice to be pampered, but just not a necessity!

Sorry , as I was mixing my Royals with Reflection Suite...

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks so much. Out of curiosity, did your concierge on either cruise set up any special ship tours or a private lunch with officers for RS & PH suite guests? I'm wondering if that is something our last concierge did on his own or if it is becoming a new standard.

That was the most awesome meal we had on the entire cruise. I couldn't believe every top officer including

the captain was there. It would be hard to top that but that was only my 3rd cruise on Celebrity. We have done

many Royal Caribbean cruises and stayed in suites and never had such an experience with them. I hope it

happens again for you and Joe.

In the RS we were invited by the concierge to tour the bridge and a helipad sail away (we did only the bridge tour). In the PH we were invited to a helipad sail away. But those are things that are pretty regular for upper suites and Elites and above. I think we've also gotten invites to meet officers at Michael's Club but along with other guests, not a private meeting. We never went to any of those though.

I will say nothing about the physical PH. Chemmo has said it all except, perhaps, that the guest bathroom impresses everyone when they think it is the only one. You could move the baby grand piano into the main bathroom and still invite guests to the party. My husband loves the huge shower.

Do not worry that the PH will be too large for you. In my opinion, that could be true of the M-class PH but the flow/design of the S-class PH really works. It is a very easy suite to stay in.

We have never cruised in a RS on an S-class suite but have done M-class RS and PHs on both classes. On our last RS cruise, we spent a great deal of time with the two PH couples for the whole cruise. We really did notice the difference in the way guests in the two levels of suite were treated. Nothing concrete but a completely different experience when an officer or crew member mistook us for a PH guest. OK, this was before the new suite class but, in theory, the perks were exactly the same for both suites. And, it was a difficult, post-refit cruise on a ship that was not really ready. Officers and crew were really pushed and service level was way down - except for the PH guests.

We have not sailed in a RS since (just PH) and have found that, each time, they have managed to surprise us with some extra-special thoughtfulness. Again, it is nothing tangible but when you actually stop to think about it, it is very special. Each cruise, we think that there is nothing else that they could do but, so far, they have managed it. It has kept us coming back.

Of course no one has stated the two real down sides to booking PH suites...

All other rooms you stay in (land and sea will seem small in comparison)....

It can become addictive....

Seriously, as one goes through life and reflects back on the good times you have experienced it is the "Wow" moments that offer that warmth of memory long after the event. That is what you feel when you walk into the PH.....What price can you put on special experiences?

To us our PH experiences have offered three levels of pleasure....the anticipation, the experience and the memory....If you think of it in that way it becomes real value for money. We don't need to PH to really enjoy a cruise but it really is the icing on the cake when we can!

On Silhouette in December we had a bridge tour and lunch with the Captain and officers, included RS, PH and Zenith cruisers.

Nothing similar on Millennium this month but we were invited to dine with the Captain.

Something to think about when choosing is whether there is a dining table. I saw a CS without one and we tend to have breakfast room service on port days and maybe a dinner depending on which ship. Yep, I upgraded for that table.

Have sailed in both. Other posters have described the differences very well.

The biggest difference to me is the balcony size. If you spend a lot of time on your balcony and want 2 loungers, the RS balcony is quite cramped because the jetted tub takes up so much room. This is not a problem in a PH because the tub has an area of its own that also includes another lounger, and direct access from the bedroom. To put it simply.... if you like to spend time on the balcony... go with the PH

Other than that you really can't go wrong with either a PH or RS. Benefits and service are equal and outstanding

I will say nothing about the physical PH. Chemmo has said it all except, perhaps, that the guest bathroom impresses everyone when they think it is the only one. You could move the baby grand piano into the main bathroom and still invite guests to the party. My husband loves the huge shower.

Do not worry that the PH will be too large for you. In my opinion, that could be true of the M-class PH but the flow/design of the S-class PH really works. It is a very easy suite to stay in.

We have never cruised in a RS on an S-class suite but have done M-class RS and PHs on both classes. On our last RS cruise, we spent a great deal of time with the two PH couples for the whole cruise. We really did notice the difference in the way guests in the two levels of suite were treated. Nothing concrete but a completely different experience when an officer or crew member mistook us for a PH guest. OK, this was before the new suite class but, in theory, the perks were exactly the same for both suites. And, it was a difficult, post-refit cruise on a ship that was not really ready. Officers and crew were really pushed and service level was way down - except for the PH guests.

We have not sailed in a RS since (just PH) and have found that, each time, they have managed to surprise us with some extra-special thoughtfulness. Again, it is nothing tangible but when you actually stop to think about it, it is very special. Each cruise, we think that there is nothing else that they could do but, so far, they have managed it. It has kept us coming back.

Thanks for the great feedback. We felt very special on our last cruise in the RS. If they match it this time in the PH, we will be happy.

On Silhouette in December we had a bridge tour and lunch with the Captain and officers, included RS, PH and Zenith cruisers.

Nothing similar on Millennium this month but we were invited to dine with the Captain.

I think those little things make the difference. On our last cruise we had a bridge tour for RS & PH, followed by lunch in Blu, which was closed except for our large table of 20. It was a really fun and lively lunch. The captain actually had his favorite dish from home prepared for us. At the end they took a group photo, which was waiting for us in our cabin along with a copy of the captain's recipe.

We ended up making multiple friends at that lunch with whom we still stay in contact (including Mike and Carol who have contributed to this thread). Those experiences are what make a good cruise something more.