Formal wear in tropical climates

Kruzin Karen

I am certainly glad to hear the Row Boat has A/C and serves hamburgers and drinks. How luxurious! ;)

Here in the wild west - actually south west US - we wear jeans most of the time and hats. We do not remove them when seated for meals nor do we remove our six shooters. Our horse we rode in on is another matter. ;p

I'm excited for you! I've been looking for a new dress for our upcoming cruise. I've given up on the long gowns and instead opt for a nice cocktail dress with or without sparkle. I actually prefer the non-sparkly cocktail dresses because I can also wear them to work. Anyway, shopping for cruises is fun, isn't it? :cool:

yes, the shopping is great. i'm going on a christmas cruise, and i found this adorable dress that is christmas lights. and i just found some glittery palazzo pants (think skirt like but pants) that i have been calling my fancy pants. i see them hanging in mycloset waiting for cruise...the waiting is killing me

as for fans, i have a hand fan i keep in my purse.

The minimal dress acceptable on formal nights in the dining room is spelled out by Princess as,

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

Don't feel that everyone must be dressed up if they feel the need to relax on a vacation.

The minimal dress acceptable on formal nights in the dining room is spelled out by Princess as,

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

Don't feel that everyone must be dressed up if they feel the need to relax on a vacation.

Why do you not post the complete section that spells out the MDR dress code for casual and formal nights?

Why do you not post the complete section that spells out the MDR dress code for casual and formal nights?

Why bother since the OP knows the what Princess posts and only wants to know the minimum dress requirements not the max.

If you read the original post it says "What is the minimum "formal wear" people use in Hawaii and the Caribbean?"

This info is hidden but can be found if you try hard enough.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Why bother since the OP knows the what Princess posts and only wants to know the minimum dress requirements not the max.

If you read the original post it says "What is the minimum "formal wear" people use in Hawaii and the Caribbean?"

This info is hidden but can be found if you try hard enough.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

It is not hidden - it is in plain site on the URL attachment you posted - you just read what you wanted to see and hear

It's not meant to be confrontational. You stated that you were sending a letter (or email) about the dress code and we were just wondering about the outcome.

What's wrong with that question?

I was not referring to the letter which you also know - you are playing games now and I am gone from this thread - have a mediocre day!

What ship were you on please, and we're to cabins chilly if needed?
I was on the Island Princess. I could adjust the cabin temperature so I wasn't cold there but always wore a wrap or had one with me in the evening when going to the dining room or a lounge.

I was on the Island Princess. I could adjust the cabin temperature so I wasn't cold there but always wore a wrap or had one with me in the evening when going to the dining room or a lounge.

Sounds good looks like I can expect proper AC to Panama Canal and Central America

Very easy - No letter, no response. As usual.

I asked him about the letter in another thread but that one is completely gone.(another dress code thread).

I'm thinking that even asking about it is considered off-topic these days.

Oh well, I think I know what the answer would be anyway.

I asked him about the letter in another thread but that one is completely gone.(another dress code thread).

I'm thinking that even asking about it is considered off-topic these days.

Oh well, I think I know what the answer would be anyway.

We all do. I also asked on another thread but again no answer.

Personally, I think any guy who wears a hat in MDR (or any restaurant anywhere for that matter whether a steak house or a coffee shop) should be "requested" to remove it and, if they refuse, shown the door. When did people become so rude that they think wearing a hat in a restaurant is OK?

I agree with you 100%. I was raised to understand that wearing a hat indoors, especially in someone's home, is a sign of disrespect for the host. That, of course, extended to everywhere else we were. My father was a stickler for that custom; as am I.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are doing the Ruby Princess 28 day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. It will be hot and humid, my husband and I are both carrying some extra weight, and I am prone to the dreaded hot flashes of late. The idea of putting on a full suit for my husband, and the "covered up" formal wear I have is repugnant in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity. What is the minimum "formal wear" people use in Hawaii and the Caribbean? Alternatively, will they do as the Grand Princess did and have the Beef Wellington available in the buffet? I don't want to miss three or four formal nights!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are doing the Ruby Princess 28 day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. It will be hot and humid, my husband and I are both carrying some extra weight, and I am prone to the dreaded hot flashes of late. The idea of putting on a full suit for my husband, and the "covered up" formal wear I have is repugnant in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity. What is the minimum "formal wear" people use in Hawaii and the Caribbean? Alternatively, will they do as the Grand Princess did and have the Beef Wellington available in the buffet? I don't want to miss three or four formal nights!!

Dress Slacks and a dress shirt has always worked for me. If anyone says anything ignore them. This is your cruise. Have Fun!

Personally, I think any guy who wears a hat in MDR (or any restaurant anywhere for that matter whether a steak house or a coffee shop) should be "requested" to remove it and, if they refuse, shown the door. When did people become so rude that they think wearing a hat in a restaurant is OK?

Sometimes "guests" can be down right rude to the MD when they are wearing hats and shorts. About 6 years ago when on a cruise we witnessed a small altercation in the MDR and threats made to the MD after his request for removal of baseball caps.

Just recently we witnessed a shoving match between a man and women on Majestic, because of saved seats for a production show.

Does management want other guests to see these kind of exchanges.

I could go on......

OP wear what you feel comfortable in...a dark long sleeve shirt can make your DH blend. That is what we took for my DH on our last cruise...that left out of "formal" South Hampton.

Back story..On Majestic in June/July we missed out on a departure tour because of a mess-up on Princess' part with one piece of our luggage and of course what was in the luggage? but my DH's TUX which he needed for an event at home in a few weeks. So 6 weeks later we r going to Scandinavia a quick 7 day out of South Hampton we did a nonstop out of LAX, so on this cruise I did not want to get screwed again on our departure tour, so decided we would carry our luggage off, which would only include one checked bag.

So that meant no formal wear for DH. on this Scandinavian on formal night in the My time dining room I was more aware than he was, as to how many(which were alot) were wearing Tuxes(not suits, Tuxes) at our shared table and all around us, but we still felt very comfortable in eating in the dining room.

Also on our 3 cruises with Princess this year the Captain's higher tiered party has not been on formal nights. So we are beginning to really feel the lack of need to dress formally on our Princess cruises, regardless of itinerary and where we are on the ship.

Don't question your choice and decision...just go and enjoy yourselves.

BTW...I went out an purchased a new shirt for my DH as he has a dark complexion and doesn't like to wear all back...but boy did he looked outstanding....

Edited by land lover