Has Anyone Gotten Carried Away With Bidding

taylortime05

We have a basic outside cabin on our next cruise in November. We are happy with the location because we are close to the show room and elevators, hubby is somewhat physically challenged. But we did just bid on an upgrade to a balcony or mini suite because we almost always get a balcony. I didn't bid just min but not much more. We are not about to get into a bidding war. If our bid is accepted great, if not we will live. When I see what some for an upgrade it blows my mind.

Bidding starts after final payment

..so how did you do this without incurring a large fee? I have been calling almost daily (pre-hurricane) to try this and they keep telling me I will be penalized for canceling the one reservation, 25%, and booking a new one. And I am like, can't you just move my existing reservation and charge me the difference? No....

In the past they have generally allowed people to upgrade rooms after final payment as long as they were paying more. Yes, they can always invoke the cancellation fee but usually don't because no one will take that and they want more money. Maybe they are cracking down on this to improve bidding??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bidding starts after final payment

..so how did you do this without incurring a large fee? I have been calling almost daily (pre-hurricane) to try this and they keep telling me I will be penalized for canceling the one reservation, 25%, and booking a new one. And I am like, can't you just move my existing reservation and charge me the difference? No....

I'm sailing on 10/1. I originally booked a Haven Spa cabin, we paid in full. Around 2 weeks later I decided I wanted a Haven Aft Penthouse. I just called the 800 number and paid the difference in the cabins and was able to "upgrade" myself with no cancellation fee. Try calling the 800 number and asking to change to the category you want. Keep calling until someone does it with no cancellation fee. I always get told 20 different things by 20 different people when calling NCL.

What was your bid?

Can't remember, and anyway I wouldn't say, but it was about $50 above the minimum bid allowed. We had booked a mini-suite with large balcony (M8). It was a kinda last minute as we booked a month and a half before.

It was a great week as it was my DH's 70th and everybody in Haven were wonderful.

what extra perks on a balcony? its not like a owners suite for goodness sakes

Guessing they were referring to those "perks" being offered via promotions - Free At Sea maybe. When you upgrade via the bidding process you keep whatever promo/perks you rec'd from the original room.

what extra perks on a balcony? its not like a owners suite for goodness sakes

If you had a inside room you usually don't get any free at sea promos. Or at best only one. Balcony and mini suite get 2. We opted for a OV on Dawn as came with 2 and worth the extra 100.00. So if my bid on balcony or mini suite is taken no loss as I have the 2 perks. But if you go from inside with no perks to balcony you get the room only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If you had a inside room you usually don't get any free at sea promos. Or at best only one. Balcony and mini suite get 2. We opted for a OV on Dawn as came with 2 and worth the extra 100.00. So if my bid on balcony or mini suite is taken no loss as I have the 2 perks. But if you go from inside with no perks to balcony you get the room only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Inside gets one Free at Sea choice and with today's promotion $50 OBC, $25 ea for G1 and G2.