Out of Rome Day trips

Giantfan13

We are staying 4 days in Rome pre cruise. If we wanted to do a day trip out of Rome, what would be some good options. This is our first time to Italy so everything is new. Are there high speed trains that could take you places in a couple of hours or less.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Len

You may well find that 4 days is not nearly enough time to enjoy much of what Rome has to offer. But if you do decide on a day trip there are some decent options. Our favorite would be to head over to Tivoli to enjoy both Hadrian's Villa and the Villa d'Este. And the town of Tivoli also has its own charm. There are several options to get to Tivoli (including bus and train) but a first time visitor might better enjoy just booking a daily tour from a local company such as Gray Line.

Another option would be to visit the hill town of Orvieto which can be done on your own via the train and funicular. Orvieto could even be done as a half day activity.

Hank

A good day trip by train would be to Florence. Take the high speed trains, not the regional that stop frequently, 1 1/2 hours vs 3. You can start at Roma Termini station and go to Firenze (Florence) Santa Maria Novella station. Easy walk from the Florence train station to the historic area. The trains run frequently and if you buy tickets early they are very reasonable. We did this a few years ago and booked a half day walking tour, meeting the guide at the train station. Good way to get your bearings and then have the afternoon to explore on your own. You can see a lot of Florence in a day.

Closer to Roma is the classic hill town of Orvieto . Take the train from Roma Termini about 90 minute trip . Out front of the station take the funicular up to the old town . Near the upper funicular station seek out St Patricks Well and engineering marvel . From uper funicular station take mini bus up to the old town and discover . Great duomo and big tower with wonderful views over the countryside .

We are spending a week in Rome between cruises next month. On one of the days, we are taking the 7:30 am train to Naples. About 1 hour. For this trip we hired a guide to take us to the Amalfi coast and surrounding towns for 5 hours. Then we catch the 4pm train back to Rome.

On 2 of our past day trips to Naples, we changed trains in the Naples station and took the train out to Pompei. I would highly recommend this if you haven't been there before. The Circumvesuvia train from Naples to Pompei (on the way to Sorrento) stops literally right outside the gates of Pompei. Pay one of the guides at the gate for a tour. 2-4 hours here can be wonderful depending on how hot it is. If you have extra time, you can continue the train (your ticket is still good) to Sorrento and look around there. However, during siesta times not much is open. If you choose, you can take they hydrofoil back to Naples or just take the train back. If I recall correctly, the trip from Naples to Sorrento is less than an hour, maybe 45 minutes?

The trains are easy to ride. Just research ahead what stop to get off at. For instance, Pompei has two stops on the route but the ruins are at the Pompei Scavi stop. Inside the Naples station, it was easy to get help to where the Circumvesuvia trains departed from.

FYI, if you take a tour to Naples and possibly other cities/sites, be sure to pack some toilet paper with you. Many of the tourist sites like Pompei charge you for the toilet paper and often don't even have toilet seats.

We are spending a week in Rome between cruises next month. On one of the days, we are taking the 7:30 am train to Naples. About 1 hour. For this trip we hired a guide to take us to the Amalfi coast and surrounding towns for 5 hours. Then we catch the 4pm train back to Rome.

On 2 of our past day trips to Naples, we changed trains in the Naples station and took the train out to Pompei. I would highly recommend this if you haven't been there before. The Circumvesuvia train from Naples to Pompei (on the way to Sorrento) stops literally right outside the gates of Pompei. Pay one of the guides at the gate for a tour. 2-4 hours here can be wonderful depending on how hot it is. If you have extra time, you can continue the train (your ticket is still good) to Sorrento and look around there. However, during siesta times not much is open. If you choose, you can take they hydrofoil back to Naples or just take the train back. If I recall correctly, the trip from Naples to Sorrento is less than an hour, maybe 45 minutes?

The trains are easy to ride. Just research ahead what stop to get off at. For instance, Pompei has two stops on the route but the ruins are at the Pompei Scavi stop. Inside the Naples station, it was easy to get help to where the Circumvesuvia trains departed from.

FYI, if you take a tour to Naples and possibly other cities/sites, be sure to pack some toilet paper with you. Many of the tourist sites like Pompei charge you for the toilet paper and often don't even have toilet seats.

Caveat Emptor . Be alert on the Circumvesuvia train to Pompei Scavi it gets you there OK, but watch things its NOT called the PICKPOCKET EXPRESS for nothing !!!!

Caveat Emptor . Be alert on the Circumvesuvia train to Pompei Scavi it gets you there OK, but watch things its NOT called the PICKPOCKET EXPRESS for nothing !!!!

If you must take additional precautions on that particular train....it simply means you are not taking adequate precautions! Trying to predict where you might run into a skilled pickpocket (or group of gypsies) is rolling the dice. One should ALWAYS take adequate precautions to protect their valuables...in which case you do not have to be concerned about trying to "guess" when and where to take precautions. In nearly fifty years of extensive travel we have foiled several pickpocket attempts...and none happened in what you would think are the obvious places.

Hank

Love it. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Look at Joe Banana Limos.. We just took some private tours in Rome ( I usually use italytoursharing.com on a cruise cause you can get 8 together and it works out a bit cheaper) but my son and his gf and me took some private tours. Absolutely excellent. I recommend https://www.joebananalimos.net/local-tours/local-tours-from-rome/Civita-di-Bagnoregio-Orvieto-from-Rome

This was on the Amazing Race... Outstanding day trip... Love it!!

We are staying 4 days in Rome pre cruise. If we wanted to do a day trip out of Rome, what would be some good options. This is our first time to Italy so everything is new. Are there high speed trains that could take you places in a couple of hours or less.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Len

I think it depends where your cruise is taking you and what your itinerary is - if your cruise takes you to Naples then that is not really an option for a day trip. Having said that I once saw a friend's photos of Hadrian's Villa and it is on my wish list - but I cannot work out how to fit it in to a day from Civitavecchia. So that would take my vote.