Mobile Hotspot

jzjcwg

We are doing 2 cruises in the Mediterranean next year and rather than paying for onboard WiFi my plan is to bring one of these http://www.netgear.com.au/landings/nighthawk-mr1100-mobile-router/

and pre-purchase a data sim from Three http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM

which has pretty good coverage.

Anyone see a problem?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 by fair means or foul

Explain to me how a mobile router would work at sea... I'm honestly curious.

Would the all metal ship interfere with a signal? I know I can't make a phone call in a cabin when in port and that the ship's wifi signal is compromised inside most cabins.

How does this system work?

It would need to be able to connect to a cellular network for the data SIM to work so probably at sea days we would be offline unless we were close to shore. Think the ships systems use a satellite signal so theirs would have better availability - maybe thats why its so expensive.

The problem is that - at sea - you won't have access to a cellular network, so your cell signal will go through the ship. It would likely appear to work correctly, but since you'd actually be on the ship's access to cellular network, you would end up with a bill on your cell phone likely of several thousand dollars. The ship's cellular access goes through AT&T, who charges a hefty fee, then passes that amount to your cell carrier, who generally adds a charge onto it.

Harris

Denver, CO

Two possible issues you might want to check:

- the Three SIM might need activating on the UK network first. But I'm guessing you'll be buying in UK?

- there may be a fair usage issue - it's designed for use in UK with occasional roaming. But that will probably only catch up with you after a couple of months.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We can buy online get the SIM's here in Australia plug them in and they work. Three say they will work in 42 destinations worldwide which include most of the Mediterranean ports we will visit. Cost is £40 for 12Gb valid for 12 months.

Sounds like overkill! We have T-Mobile as your cell provider (in the USA) which means we can use our data just about anywhere in Europe (and many other parts of the world) at no additional cost. When we are within range of shore based cells we simply turn on the "hotspot" on our iPhone and connect our other devices (iPad and a Laptop) to the internet through our phone. Essentially the phone works as a router without the need to purchase or carry additional equipment.

But you might want to consider that your ability to connect to shore cells, while on a ship, really depends not only on being close to the shore..but having a cabin in the right location. Since we do not have to lug any extra equipment I will sometimes head for the highest lounge on a ship and use my iPad or Laptop...while my iPhone (in my pocket) provides the usable hotspot.

Hank

Certainly Three's phone or SIM-only contracts which allow the use of a hotspot in the U.K. prohibit use outside the UK, even in countries in which data roaming costs the same as in the U.K.

Stuart

The OP is talking about a mobile broadband device, not using a phone as a mobile hotspot. Three's mobile broadband terms and conditions are clear about roaming use, as the OP states.

"International Roaming is switched on automatically on your account, so you can use your SIM abroad, including in Feel At Home destinations straight away. On our Pay As You Go plans you’ll need to activate (by inserting and making a chargeable event) in the UK first."

http://www.three.co.uk/ss/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1400875494444&ssbinary=true

We can buy online get the SIM's here in Australia plug them in and they work. Three say they will work in 42 destinations worldwide which include most of the Mediterranean ports we will visit. Cost is £40 for 12Gb valid for 12 months.

OK, but see the quote in my previous post about activating in UK. But if it has worked for you before, fine!

The OP is talking about a mobile broadband device, not using a phone as a mobile hotspot. Three's mobile broadband terms and conditions are clear about roaming use, as the OP states.

"International Roaming is switched on automatically on your account, so you can use your SIM abroad, including in Feel At Home destinations straight away. On our Pay As You Go plans you’ll need to activate (by inserting and making a chargeable event) in the UK first."

http://www.three.co.uk/ss/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1400875494444&ssbinary=true

Correct, we can activate the SIM's here but the UK is not a problem cos we are routing thru London on the way to Rome where we start the first cruise.

OK, but see the quote in my previous post about activating in UK. But if it has worked for you before, fine!

Not me but a collegue at work did and it worked fine.

Seems good, then. I wonder if there's a setting to stop it trying to connect to the ship cell tower - they are naturally in the most expensive category. But then presumably you won't put credit on, beyond the pre-paid data units, so it won't roam onto that network anyway?

This does work. I leave the hotspot on the balcony to get better cellular land signal. When my cell phone shows the regional carriers' reception, not the ships "Cellular at sea" etc., I turn on the hotspot to connect my other devices via wifi. I've never done it with the U.K. carrier you are referencing, but the ones I've used will throttle to 3G or slower when you are not "in network".

Seems good, then. I wonder if there's a setting to stop it trying to connect to the ship cell tower - they are naturally in the most expensive category. But then presumably you won't put credit on, beyond the pre-paid data units, so it won't roam onto that network anyway?

Yes there probably is but its more likely that the data SIM will only use networks its affiliated with.

This post might be on the wrong Thread, but thought I would give it a try.

Wondering if Wi-Fi Calling would work given a lot of us have the unlimited data plan?

I am with Verizon, using a Samsung Galaxy S5. I checked the specs and the phone and Wi-Fi Calling is an option. Based on the research I have done so far, best I can tell all I need to do is set the phone to Airplane mode, activate Wi-Fi Calling and it should work - correct?

Of course, I would have to disconnect the laptop from the ships network since we can only have 1 device connected at a time.

I checked Verizon and best I can tell, Wi-Fi calling (domestic or international), the FAQ states:

• Ensure HD Voice is activated and the device is Wi-Fi calling capable.
  • Activation requires a valid US address for E911 functionality.
  • Activation requires a cellular data or Wi-Fi network connection.
  • Wi-Fi Calling settings don't transfer after switching devices and/or performing a factory data reset.
  • Make and receive calls over Wi-Fi when outside of the Verizon network coverage area.
  • Wi-Fi Calls always originate in the US, even when a customer is outside of the US.
  • Calls to US numbers are not billed (except for 411 or other premium calls).
  • Calls to international numbers are billed according to the customer’s international long distance plan.

My reading is I should be able to place a Wi-Fi call from the ship. I think I can do it in port (if I have the phone in airplane mode to avoid hitting the cellular network).

Am I missing something?

Would texting work?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Wifi calling does work but not perfectly. Last night I couldn't get a stable connection. Earlier in the cruise there was not problem.

When you are in airplane mode it can take 4 or 5 minutes for the systems to synchronize so don't try to make a call over wifi immediately .... look for the word Verizon to appear and you should be good, ( In my case it's AT&T but the procedure is the same)

Wifi calling does work but not perfectly. Last night I couldn't get a stable connection. Earlier in the cruise there was not problem.

When you are in airplane mode it can take 4 or 5 minutes for the systems to synchronize so don't try to make a call over wifi immediately .... look for the word Verizon to appear and you should be good, ( In my case it's AT&T but the procedure is the same)

Or just use an app like WhatsApp which means all you need is a WiFi connection. Supports video calls, voice calls & messages.

I have used WiFi calling in the past year on Constellation, Silhouette, and Anthem (RCCL). We have had unlimited internet packages so it worked well. One device per package. We have Verizon Wireless with iPhone 7's. The key is to turn your cellular off on ship by putting the phone in airplane mode. Then turn on the WiFi signal. The phone will then display "VZW WiFi" at the top left after a minute or so if everything is working. This works in ports as well if you can find a free WiFi hotspot. Excellent digital voice calls and free texting by this method as long as you are going to a US-based number.

We use the Three data SIM when travelling in Europe in our motorhome and also when on a canal boat in the UK. We use it in a Huawei device (less sophisticated than the Netgear device mentioned by the OP). It's not a contract SIM and has no registration requirements. Three doesn't have your card details so can't charge you for extras, especially if you buy through a third party. You buy it preloaded with data and the best value for us is the 12GB/12 months mentioned. You don't, in theory, have to activate it in the UK first, so you can take more than one SIM, discard the first when the data is gone and simply slot the new one in, this being a lot cheaper than buying more data for the existing SIM.

As far as I'm aware, there are only a few drawbacks:

If you are away from the UK for more than 60 days, it may be cut off until you return to the UK again.

As the OP says, there are some countries where Three's 'Feel At Home' service doesn't work, though the only one I can see which would affect a Med cruise seems to be Monaco/Monte Carlo. In those places, I think it simply fails to connect, as I believe it would while at sea.

Performance is generally good in Europe but don't expect to stream video. Some users have got 4G connections but it is more normal to get 3G, sometimes less. It is rare not to be able to get a signal in an urban environment, not so rare out in the country, but you should be OK in ports. It is rumoured that 'throttling' does take place but this is difficult to prove conclusively.

Occasionally, the device you use the SIM in may need to have its settings changed. It definitely has to be set to allow data roaming but APN settings may also need adjustment. Download the app for your device so you can change settings if you need to. A bit of research and a few notes with APNs should enable you to get back online.

It looks like the Netgear device covers most GSM frequency bands, so should be fine in Europe but that would be worth a check.

Overall, if you don't have a data plan on your 'phone or can't tether with it abroad, the Three SIM is the best bet for Europe.

Incidentally, as the OP says, Three now charges £40 for the SIM. I buy from My Memory, where it is currently £24.99, though don't know whether they would deliver to Australia. Amazon (.co.uk) often has them as well.

Excellent info - thanks for the response. Expectations are fairly low so don't expect perfection, good tip about multiple SIM's rather than topping up :-)