Checking Luggage

CozGurl

If you arrive onboard at say 3:00 after the cabins are open, can you keep all of your luggage with you and go through check in and straight to your cabin.

I don't want to check the luggage and wait. I'd rather haul it all to the room at once.

• 5 months later...

Thinking about this again...I should be able to take 24" or smaller suitcase (that will fit in the overhead on a plane) straight on the ship and not leave with valet right?

We heard announcements about lost luggage almost daily on our Carnival cruise last year. I'm worried about being separated from my bags. I'd rather pack light and keep it all with me.

Thinking about this again...I should be able to take 24" or smaller suitcase (that will fit in the overhead on a plane) straight on the ship and not leave with valet right?

We heard announcements about lost luggage almost daily on our Carnival cruise last year. I'm worried about being separated from my bags. I'd rather pack light and keep it all with me.

Same. We always pack two 24”ish carry-on spinners. Time our arrival to when rooms are going to be open. Self-carry luggage directly to cabin.

You can't put a 24" suitcase in the overhead bin. 21" is usually the maximum carry on size on an airplane.

Right Merion_Mom, I just meant that whatever I can fit in the overhead and under seat on the plane would be fine to keep with me when boarding the ship.

Now I just have to find something to do in Rome until our cabin is ready at 2:00 or 3:00 :cool:

Carry it on - never once (even on 7 day) checked a bag; also carry off self assist always; I have seen bags larger than 24 inches get through (think the machines may be bigger than airports).

Edited by CelticMCO
spelling

You can't put a 24" suitcase in the overhead bin. 21" is usually the maximum carry on size on an airplane.

Southwest allows 24 inch suitcases- I brought mine onboard and it went in sideways into the overhead. Having said that, I am bringing the same 24 inch with me on my next cruise, but checking it this time as I am flying on Delta to Miami. In Europe, they are really firm about the size of the suitcase you can bring onboard. I brought my 20 inch onboard with me, my DH was forced to check his 21 inch suitcase at Heathrow.

We stayed in Star Class a couple of months ago embarking at Fort Lauderdale. They had us keep all of our luggage with us when going through the security checkpoint before getting on the ship. They sent all of our luggage (including a 28 inch bag) through the scanner. The only thing I am not sure of is if all of the scanners are the same size or if the Star Class scanner is larger.

I will also add that our Genie informed us ahead of time to make sure to keep our bags with us and under no circumstances hand it to anyone before getting inside the terminal at the Star Class entrance. The port was quite busy when we got there so our driver couldn't get us very close to where we were instructed to be dropped off. We had to walk past several porters and RCI employees. Every one of them told us we should leave our luggage with them as we would not be allowed to board with them and would have to come back to the porters to check the bags.

Not a complete answer to your scenario, but hope the info helps!