Why do people want to get on ship early?

KayKay18

I always pack a small bag with anything I might need, assuming I'm going to a warm destination, I always include my swimming suit. We get on as early as possible and just explore the ship. Eat, have a drink or two, find a lounge chair and start our vacation. But then, I only use my room to sleep and shower, so having access to it is not a big concern.

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app

One of the reasons is just the ability to exhale after getting up early, rushing to the airport, and then having to fly, which nobody likes anymore. We have started flying first class when vacationing. It just helps to make your vacation a bit more relaxing I think.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

I like to get a feel for the ship, walk public decks (restaurants, bars, theaters, shops, guest services, pools, etc.) bow to stern, grab a bite (walking the ship first shows me if there is an alternative to the always insane buffet crowd). Even when they say my room isn't ready, I can usually drop off any carry-on and meet the room steward.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Why would you NOT want to get on early? :confused:

I mean, beat the crowds, get lunch, get a drink, explore the ship...

While we prefer to board early the explanation for not boarding early provided earlier was that there are shorter lines to check in later in embarkation.

Being able to get into our stateroom right away is not a priority for us. We board with one very small bag containing meds, paperwork and valuables, weighs almost nothing. We like to maximize our time on the ship and if its a new ship to us, get the "lay of the land" before the crowds get too crazy.

My checking in time is 12:30-1:00 and that seems fine to me. But I would like to know why anyone would want to check in early. If your room will not be ready until 1 or later. Why get on early.

I love to board and start exploring the ship to be honest!! I will walk around people watch , check the ship out, grab a bite to eat, and have my first relaxing drink!

Pretty much the same reasons that others have stated on here. We did have FTTF this sailing so our room was ready when we boarded at 11, but even if we hadn't bought FTTF I would still have gotten on as early as possible. I would have just packed as much as possible in the checked baggage and had only the stuff that could not be checked in small carry ons. We saw lots of people walking around with small bags before the rooms were ready, enjoying their lunch, sitting by the pool, and exploring the ship. Why sit in the hotel room waiting to go somewhere when you can already be on vacation?

I like to board earlier rather than later, because, I always fly in a day or usually two days before cruise, and most check out times are 11am, sometimes noon, but mostly by 11am, so I dont like to hang around the hotel with my baggage for very long. Since FTTF, I have been purchasing it, so my room is ready upon boarding and I can drop off my carryon baggage, which is for me important since I cruise now mostly solo.

Just easier for me to go early, rather than later. Also breakfast at the hotel, and lunch on board ship works for me. I know others say FTTF is a waste of money, but for me, I find it worth it for more than one reason.

One time, I boarded the ship at 2.30pm almost 3pm because I was travelling with others, and because I am a punctuality freak, I almost "lost it", was freaking out when we got stuck in traffic, on the 95 down into Miami! I wont do that again. I will do my early boarding thing, and my cruise friends can join me later lol!

early works for me.

Let's get this cruise party started....vacation time...grab an early pool chair and food....sit and kick back with a favorite drink....always packs a swim suit change and lotion separate....take advantage of the VIP boarding if you have it....I'll be there at 10am having a coffee....lol....Sunshine 11-18-17 here we come...I see the DW and my pool chair already! Toes up....

One time, I boarded the ship at 2.30pm almost 3pm because I was travelling with others, and because I am a punctuality freak, I almost "lost it", was freaking out when we got stuck in traffic, on the 95 down into Miami! I wont do that again. I will do my early boarding thing, and my cruise friends can join me later lol!

early works for me.

:eek: I would've been having kittens if my head hadn't imploded by that point.

So I have a question, I have signed up and plan to get there around 12 check in time. What happens if we are stuck in traffic and show up at 2. Do they just put us in the next time slot?

The boarding times aren't engraved in stone, at least not in my experience, just more or less a guideline to help keep the crowds manageable. Carnival may be different, but on my last 3 cruises (RCCL, Princess, and HAL), we were allowed to check in when we got there, earlier than our boarding time in every case. Now, mind, we weren't 4-5 hours early, just an hour or so, but no one checked or cared.

Carnival may be different, but on my last 3 cruises (RCCL, Princess, and HAL), we were allowed to check in when we got there, earlier than our boarding time in every case.

What several people have indicated earlier is that things have change and Carnival is now preventing people from checking in until their assigned time to a much greater extent.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

What several people have indicated earlier is that things have change and Carnival is now preventing people from checking in until their assigned time to a much greater extent.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Understood. It may have been different for us, to some extent, because it wasn't busy at all when we arrived, so they just went ahead and processed us, and anyone else who showed up. Had there been hoards of people waiting, that would likely have been a different story.