Why do people want to get on ship early?

KayKay18

My checking in time is 12:30-1:00 and that seems fine to me. But I would like to know why anyone would want to check in early. If your room will not be ready until 1 or later. Why get on early.

To answer the unmentioned but implied real question you have, No don't worry. You are not missing out on anything with a 12:30-1:00 check-in time. The physical boarding time usually starts in the neighborhood of 11:45. Arriving before that means you will go through the lines then sit and wait until 11:45 or after to board.

During your check-in after 12:30 you will probably hear them still calling zones to board. I would expect by the time you finish checking in your zone number will come up very quickly because the early arrivers will be almost all boarded and you won't have to wait long. That also means that the people who arrived earlier are just now getting boarded and you will board right behind them having the same experience without waiting as long.

That said, I will still be in the bunch that had to sit and wait an hour before boarding just because that's the way I am for most of the reasons already posted.

We like to get on as early as possible to beat the inevitable buffet rush for lunch, and then explore the ship for a few hours. We carry little to nothing onboard (opting to check virtually everything) so we don't really care about being onboard before the staterooms are open.

My checking in time is 12:30-1:00 and that seems fine to me. But I would like to know why anyone would want to check in early. If your room will not be ready until 1 or later. Why get on early.

We just got back from a cruise out of New Orleans on Carnival Dream, in a suite again. Last year we had a suite so we automatically had FTTF but it was still 1.5 hours of total hell standing in line in Galveston. Apparently they give FTTF to waaaay too many people.This time I picked the latest check in time available and we spent some fun time sight seeing in NOLA and check in was 15 minutes, went straight to our room where luggage came within an hour. I will check in late every time now. Trust me, you will be tired of the same food for 7 days soon enough.

We just got back from a cruise out of New Orleans on Carnival Dream, in a suite again. Last year we had a suite so we automatically had FTTF but it was still 1.5 hours of total hell standing in line in Galveston. Apparently they give FTTF to waaaay too many people.This time I picked the latest check in time available and we spent some fun time sight seeing in NOLA and check in was 15 minutes, went straight to our room where luggage came within an hour. I will check in late every time now. Trust me, you will be tired of the same food for 7 days soon enough.

They don’t give you FTTF with a suite. You don’t get GS Line or your cabin ready upon embarkation.

You are paying for 7 full days why give half a day away ?

If you plan it correctly you can have a great day at the pool while most guests are coming later, battling the crowd at the food court or wondering ship waiting to get in your room.

Everybody's different but my wife and I love sail away day. Our plan check everything when we get to the ship except for a backpack and small carry bag. We keep in the back pack and bag swinwear, sunscreen, sun hats electronics like Ipad or readers, jewelry and our bottles of wine if we bring them. We try to board early go up to the mostly empty pool area and gave our choice of spots. After changing into our swimsuits we relax with drinks, and enjoy ourselves. At some point we will grab something to eat. This is the only day on a

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wanted to finish my point. After 11 cruises it seems to me most people board the ship like they are boarding a plane with alit if carry on stuff. Other than valuables to me I have no issue checking everything at the dock. Why haul it around the ship waiting for your room when they will deliver it to your door.

Wouldn't it be impossible to know in the terminal or on the gangway how many of the people with carry-ons will be hauling them around the ship without knowing their Platinum/Diamond/FTTF status? I'm still undecided how much of our luggage will will check versus carry on. With these new "spinner" carry-ons, the bother of hauling it up the gangway and then directly to our stateroom, "ready for you as soon as you board" seems to be significantly less than trying to strategically segregate our belongings such that all we carry on is a much smaller rucksack.

Personally, unless it's important medical equipment or kids supplies (diapers, etc) I can never comprehend why people would carry ANYTHING on the ship at embarkation aside from the absolute essentials, and (if you want to expedite to a pool or hot tub) maybe a small bag with your swim clothing.

It never fails to amaze me seeing people dragging huge suitcases or bags up the gangway. Of course, they then head straight to the buffet an promptly completely hose things up as, of course, they don't want to leave it anywhere, so along it comes through the congested areas.

Then the people with the massive backpacks seem oblivious to the fact they're sticking out hitting people as they maneuver their way around the ship.

Ourselves, the only thing we carry on is a small red zip up pouch that we use to hold our essential paperwork and passports.

Personally, unless it's important medical equipment or kids supplies (diapers, etc) I can never comprehend why people would carry ANYTHING on the ship at embarkation aside from the absolute essentials, and (if you want to expedite to a pool or hot tub) maybe a small bag with your swim clothing.

It never fails to amaze me seeing people dragging huge suitcases or bags up the gangway. Of course, they then head straight to the buffet an promptly completely hose things up as, of course, they don't want to leave it anywhere, so along it comes through the congested areas.

Then the people with the massive backpacks seem oblivious to the fact they're sticking out hitting people as they maneuver their way around the ship.

Ourselves, the only thing we carry on is a small red zip up pouch that we use to hold our essential paperwork and passports.

Hello - wine has to go in carry on!

For those of us that can get to our cabins right away I would ask, “Why would I check my bags?” I go straight there and unpack. No chance of my suitcase arriving damaged, or worse missing. Some poor person every cruise practically ends up with their stuff missing. There will be a flyer placed with your FunTimes with a description of the MIA luggage. No thanks. I’ll keep my stuff with me.

For those of us that can get to our cabins right away I would ask, “Why would I check my bags?” I go straight there and unpack. No chance of my suitcase arriving damaged, or worse missing. Some poor person every cruise practically ends up with their stuff missing. There will be a flyer placed with your FunTimes with a description of the MIA luggage. No thanks. I’ll keep my stuff with me.

We may try to bring on our own luggage when our kids are older (or if we ever sail without them) . The "just get it done" appeals to me greatly.

We will never again allow stevedores to take our luggage. Once yours has been drenched you wont either. We take one carry on small roller bag and a collapsable carry on each for all cruises, even 40 plus days. No more formal stuff. There is laundry on ship. Why stress?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

We like getting on early - and we are lucky we can. Just to start vacation early. Get lunch. People watch. Unpack. Enjoy the early buzz. Something about being on the Lido Deck on Day 1 is so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed!!! It is so much fun that first day. . sail away!!! Just want to get on board and start my vacation.. even though its already started the second I leave my house :D Sunday and i'll be sailing!!! Can't wait!!

So this is why OP asked ---

Name:Kay-----

Message: Hello John. I complained on the cruise boards and was told to write to you by -----------who is a member of the 20,000 Club of Cruise Critic. I am trying to get information on why any passenger wants to be on the ships so early. My checking in time is 1pm and that seems fine to me. But I would like to know why anyone would want to check in early. There is nothing to do. NO activities or shows and we just sit there waiting for the lifeboat muster to sta...rt. If your room will not be ready until 1 or later. Why get your passengers on so early. That first afternoon is a waste of money and time. There needs to be more happening.

Lol why did you post this to John Healds Facebook page?? To see how many more people would tell you why it’s FRIGGIN AWESOME to get on the ship early!! If you don’t want to then don’t the majority of people, by all of the responses do. End of story

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because we are platinum, we can get to our room right away. Once we put our stuff away, our vacation starts. We got on the Sunshine at 11:00. Once we grabbed some food, we hopped in the pool. Nobody was in it, it was a personal pool. We also had no line for the waterslide or SkyCourse. Why waste away a day in the terminal when you can start your vacation early?

So, KayKay, I see you made JH's FB post today. You won't get different answers there. I'm not even certain why it matters to you. You seem to have made up your mind that getting on board later is better for you. There is nothing wrong with that.

So, KayKay, I see you made JH's FB post today. You won't get different answers there. I'm not even certain why it matters to you. You seem to have made up your mind that getting on board later is better for you. There is nothing wrong with that.

I saw that, too! :')

Congrats on being "famous" by getting picked by John heald for his facebook feed. :D

To answer your question, we enjoy being on the ship. We are platinum, so we can go to our stateroom and drop our stuff right away. We like to get lunch before it gets crazy crowded, explore the ship, get some time in the pool while it's uncrowded, and maybe take a nap. I also have a drink in hand the moment we board. :)

You don't have to board early, so I'm not sure why it's a concern for you. You can board an hour before departure if you want.

I think it's pretty sad that anyone would think that it's not worth being on a ship unless there is some activity scheduled. Really? You can't entertain yourself for a couple of hours? You can't enjoy some down time with the person/people you're traveling with? I don't get it.

I saw it too and thought why on earth would you bother him with this when we have more than sufficiently answered it out here......but whatever......:rolleyes: