Weather down the US west coast on to Panama canal

angelbearmom

I leave on a Panama canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam on Saturday. When I look at the weather in the places we're going starting from Puerto Vallarta it's all listed as thunder storms and rain. The temperatures are warm. Are we likely going to see constant rain and storms or will the weather variate over the day? I've asked this on the Mexican Riviera board but gotten no replies. Will the land storms affect how rough or smooth it when we're out at sea? Thanks

Usually the seas for smoother going south, rougher coming north against the current. Not sure about the near term weather forecasts but thunderstorms usually build with the heat of the day, so they are more probable in the afternoons but no guarantees. Always best to be prepared for a variety of weather conditions. Hope it works out for you. m--

will the weather variate over the day?

Weather is always variable and with El Nino conditions this year in the Pacific, who knows?

A couple of years ago, in September, we were on the Z going from Vancouver to Fort Launderdale through the Canal and it was sunny throughout the entire voyage.

Hope you have the same!

I think that it depends on the days and if there is a tropical system near by. If there isn't a tropical system, I would image it would be like other years where the rain is on and off. Enjoy your cruise.

Who knows what King Neptune's disposition will be when you sail? If his mood is good: pleasant sailing. If not: well, come to realize that you chose a vacation that is not on a land-based resort.

My experience on such an itinerary has been wonderful. I'd have no issue with booking another such cruise.

Thanks for the info. We'll take whatever comes. Our last cruise was the Norwegian Fjords going up into the Arctic Circle. We had little sun, but no sunset and very cold. We all thought it was a heat wave when the temp got up to 11C. This was mid July. But we had a great time no matter the weather. I was just curious as I know that often in tropical areas there is rain daily but not for that long each day.

I've done the panama canal cruise 3x now, and all I can tell you was it was HOT and MUGGY!! The rain will come quickly and leave just as quick. 90% of the time it was normal sailing....10% was a little rough (or rockin' and a rollin'), which I find to be rather enjoyable :-)

It's a fabulous trip regardless of the weather! We've done the crossing a number of times, and generally always had more good weather than not! We are on with you for the coastal - what a special treat! We've done a lot of coastal and never had such a cool itinerary ( Astoria OR/San Francisco/Catalina Island/San Diego!). HAL could sail this route on a 7 day and sell it out all year long!