Norwegian Fjords Cruise

This is probably going to get me a scolding from the message board police but I couldn't find this itinerary in the ports of call section. Looking at a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Indy next year? Can anyone tell me what this cruise is like and if it will be as awesome as I think it will be? We did Alaska this summer and absolutely loved Tracy Arm and all the mountains. I assume this would be similar minus the glacier? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is probably going to get me a scolding from the message board police but I couldn't find this itinerary in the ports of call section. Looking at a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Indy next year? Can anyone tell me what this cruise is like and if it will be as awesome as I think it will be? We did Alaska this summer and absolutely loved Tracy Arm and all the mountains. I assume this would be similar minus the glacier? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have never done the Alaska itinerary so can't compare but Norway does have glaciers. You can pick up a tour via the ship or there are private offerings at the port.

The best tour I did was one covering tour of mountains. Really good tour, got to really experience a drive around mountain route with snow etc. Great memories.

At the ports, it is easy to walk around and enjoy the small town feel. For the adventurous you can do an individual hike to a waterfall etc. so plenty to do without committing yourself to a tour at each stop.

I have been to Norway three times and still not tired of it. One warning, it is expensive.

I have never done the Alaska itinerary so can't compare but Norway does have glaciers. You can pick up a tour via the ship or there are private offerings at the port.

The best tour I did was one covering tour of mountains. Really good tour, got to really experience a drive around mountain route with snow etc. Great memories.

At the ports, it is easy to walk around and enjoy the small town feel. For the adventurous you can do an individual hike to a waterfall etc. so plenty to do without committing yourself to a tour at each stop.

I have been to Norway three times and still not tired of it. One warning, it is expensive.

Great information! Thank you!

In my opinion, Norwegian fjords beat the pants off Alaska! The fjord 'walls' are much closer to you and it is a real feat of navigation for the bridge crew. You want a cruise that ideally does Geiranger and Flam, as these are the longest two navigable fjords, but definately at least one of those on your itinerary and this is one of the cruises I would definately recommend an aft cabin, so you can have a panorama view. We did on the Celebrity Eclipse and we were so glad we did.

Simon

We only did 2 of your ports. At Geiranger we did http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-tour-to-mt-dalsnibba . Our CC roll call basically booked out the 12.00 bus when one of our members found it! Unfortunately we didn't have the greatest weather and at the top of the mountain visibility was about 50yds, but you might get better weather and the views!

At Stavanger we just walked round the town, but saw loads of jellyfish in the harbour (what a thing to remember :rolleyes:).

Simon

Thanks for all the information, friends! I just booked it! Indy to Bergen, Gerainger, Alesund, Skjolden, & Stavenger. Let me know what are the things not to miss!
My wife and I did the NCL Star through Norway out of Copenhagen in 2015.

It was Amazing. I think by the time we caught our breaths and finally settled into the cruise it was all over.

Some suggestions from our experience -

1. We didnt book any of the excursions, instead we hiked. ALOT! And there was a lot to hike. In Geiranger we hiked up to Losta (Lotsa?) And the views were incredible. If you are a free spirited cruiser and healthy enough to run up and down the hills then do it. If you would have a hard time walking then book excursions as there is a lot to cover and in a port like Gerainger you may get bored quickly in the little port town. (Bergen is a bigger city as is Alesund, lots to see close to port)

2. Alesund is a great little city. Our stop there was on a Sunday though and everything was closed except for a coffee shop and One or two touristy places. If you can get to the Park and make it up the steps the photos from up there are amazing. Easily walkable from the port. Will take about 2 hours to walk through the Park, up the steps and maybe grab a bite at the top of the hill.

3. The hoho bus in Bergen is worth it if you can't walk a few miles. It's also good in the rain as you don't have to walk back wet. We paid for the bus and it was raining. We got to the furthest point it went and it only took us about 2-3 hours to walk back through town. I'd skip the hoho if it's a nice day and you enjoy hiking. Lots more to see by foot and the hoho doesn't get you that far from the port.

4. If there is a train, tram, skyrail and you are on the fence, book it before you go. We thought we would be able to just grab something when we got there and every time it was sold out and the price in Norwegian Dollars was just as much (maybe a few dollars less but not much) as what the cruise line charged.

5. It's expensive. 6-7$ for a 12oz cup of coffee. Water is not served in restaurants. Tap water is often a couple dollars. Get bottled water or bring your own. Ports are pricey as well. Bergen seemed the best place to buy stuff and get good deals. We would grab some snacks from the ship and take them with us (whatever was allowed)

6. Spend a few days at the end of the cruise in Copenhagen. It'll be much less painful to leave. It's a great city to visit. We would just wander off and get lost and couldn't get enough.

7. If you fly Iceland Air - stop over in Iceland on the way home and do the Blue Lagoon. Trust me. You'll thank me for this.

Have fun. It's really an amazing adventure.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We did Independence Norway in 2013 (our first cruise and where my now husband proposed). We loved it!

Here is my husband's review

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1859146&page=2

A couple of the ports are different on your itinerary However In Alesund and Stavanger the ship docks right in the town so easy to get off and have a wander (then back on the ship for lunch as Norway is sooooooo expensive). I think in Skoljden we did a RCI tour up into the mountains and it was one of the best tours we did.

Norway is fantastic, I would go back in a instant

Here are some tips I've posted on TripAdvisor, as we didn't take any of ship's excursions --

Stavanger - took the Rodne boat to Lysefjord. We reserved through their site, and paid on arrival.

Olden - took the local bus to Briksdale glacier, and then trolleys. The bus is located on the main road, about half a mile from the pier, in front of the main shopping center.

Geiranger - took the local bus to mount Dalsnibba, right on the pier, tickets at the tourist office. Get there quickly, not enough places... Amazing views.

Bergen - took the funicular to Mount Floyen, walked back down. Amazing views. You can buy tickets at the tourist info only if you want return tickets. So we stood in a long line for tickets for about 45 minutes, while groups had priority...

For Stavanger, I suggest you mail this lady, because I remember that their last ship was 2pm -- Anna.Froyland@rodne.no

For Olden (and Geiranger - Golden Route), pls. consult this timetable: http://www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp?page=1578

Stryn-Olden-Oldedalen-Briksdalen

For Geiranger, I suggest you mail bussmore@fjord1.no

to see about the bus of 0940, when is it coming back and if it works WE.

From Geiranger 0940 To Dalsnibba

And, since I've done both - Norwegian Fjords and Alaska, I think also that the Norwegian Fjords "take priority"