Falmouth, Jamaica

TandK0826

We have been to Jamaica twice and have used Marva Shaw as a guide. She and a few others are often recommended on these boards. We have never had a bad experience when we use those guides recommended over and over on these boards or Trip Advisor.

We had a great experience in Falmouth. We did a tour of Rose Hall, stopped by local fruit stands to sample the fruit, visited a school to drop off supplies and had lunch at a local Jerk shack. Don't be afraid to get off the ship and use a local guide! They will make sure to get you back on time as word of mouth is their means of advertisement. They work hard to build their business and want to make sure you are happy!

We have been to Jamaica twice and have used Marva Shaw as a guide. She and a few others are often recommended on these boards. We have never had a bad experience when we use those guides recommended over and over on these boards or Trip Advisor.

We had a great experience in Falmouth. We did a tour of Rose Hall, stopped by local fruit stands to sample the fruit, visited a school to drop off supplies and had lunch at a local Jerk shack. Don't be afraid to get off the ship and use a local guide! They will make sure to get you back on time as word of mouth is their means of advertisement. They work hard to build their business and want to make sure you are happy!

My friend and I want to do Rose Hall... was there a tour you did, as they don't seem to have an excursion there? If not how did you go about getting there and back?

We looked at the Bamboo Beach excursion sponsored through NCL but I read on TripAdvisor that it's over an hour each way by bus - and since we have two small children (3 and 1) that won't work for us. We only considered NCL excursions at this port, again just because of our small kids and what we've read, and since we were planning on three sea days with our old itinerary, we are using this day to relax on ship and possibly check out the pool at Margaritaville within the port area. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We only made one stop (at a historic church) on our way from Falmouth to the Bamboo Beach. It was also our rest stop. The beach was okay, but nothing special. Our guide was quite informative on the way to the beach, but was mostly silent on the way back. The length of the trip is definitely a consideration if you have small children (or a weak bladder). The beach was okay and there was food and drink available.

Jim

We took a cab to Burwood Beach. It’s a public beach. Think it was $2 person to get in & the cab each way was $20. Coldest Red Stripe I have ever had and they had a little shanty restaurant with fresh fish & veggies. Highly recommended. The water was so delicious & refreshing. Have a wonderful trip.

We are going on the same cruise I think. We booked the zipline and river tubing tour. I heard good things about this excursion.

Not sure if the river tubing is on the Martha Brae River, but that's what I did on a Celebrity excursions. I think it was through Chukka Tours, but it included the zip line, river tubing, rum tasting, swimming pool, and an aviary of birds.

I picked the Martha Brae excursion because it's closest to Falmouth, I think the drive was about a half hour or so and the driver gave us commentary along the way.

I explored Falmouth after getting back to port. It was a day the town was having a festival so there were a lot of vendors out and people in town. While it was interesting to see, the first thing I was approached with after I walked outside the port gates were drugs, so that tells you something about the area.

I have a friend from Jamaica and when I told her we were stopping in Falmouth, she asked: "Why??" :confused::');p

It would have to be a really good itinerary otherwise to get me on a ship that stops in Falmouth.

We will be doing Rose Hall resort available from Resort For a Day after a recommendation from a friend who has been there. Looks like a great opportunity for everyone to enjoy the water, bar, and chill out for the day. And Hilton resorts are typically well maintained and safe,

We went to Falmouth on the Disney Fantasy in October 2016.

Not impressed.

My husband went off alone and ventured outside the cruise port area- offered drugs every few minutes. When he came back-

My mom took two of the three children we had with us (ages 5 and 6- the other was under 2) only to the port area and found it unbearable.

When my husband came back he and I took the girls to Margaritaville for swimming, bought two margaritas just to be good customers, could not WAIT to leave that place.

I just found out our 2/18 Escape cruise was changed to GSC, Falmouth, Nassau, and Grand Cayman.

NOT PLEASED.

Will likely stay onboard for Falmouth and Nassau.

We went to Falmouth on the Disney Fantasy in October 2016.

Not impressed.

My husband went off alone and ventured outside the cruise port area- offered drugs every few minutes. When he came back-

My mom took two of the three children we had with us (ages 5 and 6- the other was under 2) only to the port area and found it unbearable.

When my husband came back he and I took the girls to Margaritaville for swimming, bought two margaritas just to be good customers, could not WAIT to leave that place.

I just found out our 2/18 Escape cruise was changed to GSC, Falmouth, Nassau, and Grand Cayman.

NOT PLEASED.

Will likely stay onboard for Falmouth and Nassau.

Have you tried Blue Lagoon in Nassau? Sounds like a great place for kids.