WHO gets the upgrade gratuity ?

jody75

Does anyone know for sure what happens to the Gratuity when you upgrade i.e. Classic to Premium Beverage package.

Does it get pooled or does it go to the person who sold you the Upgrade?

It goes to the person who sold you the upgrade, so if you have a favorite bartender or Sommelier, up grade with them. Especially the Sommelier in the dining room. You never know when he might give you that special glass of wine without charging you the difference.

Who gets the grats for selling you the upgrade??

Yes, it is the person who closes the deal. Me? I go to the Martini Bar as soon as I get on board. I get the attention of a bartender and ask if he is assigned to the Martini Bar. If he seems friendly, I will upgrade with him - and will get you excellent service for my whole cruise. I will also tip him or the other bartenders during the cruise.

It goes to the person who sold you the upgrade, so if you have a favorite bartender or Sommelier, up grade with them. Especially the Sommelier in the dining room. You never know when he might give you that special glass of wine without charging you the difference.

Excuse me, but the vast majority of the "sommeliers" in the dining room are nothing more than wine servers. They know "red wine with beef, white wine with fish". They have no idea of where the Loire Valley, Napa Valley, or Finger Lakes are other than what the label states.

Excuse me, but the vast majority of the "sommeliers" in the dining room are nothing more than wine servers. They know "red wine with beef, white wine with fish". They have no idea of where the Loire Valley, Napa Valley, or Finger Lakes are other than what the label states.

That hasn't been my experience. I've had some good ones, especially if you tell them what you like.

I had the premium package and like to have a glass of wine with dinner. The server came to our table and asked if we were having wine. I said yes we will tbut we haven’t seen a menu and don’t know what we will be ordering. The answer back was it doesn’t matter just order what you like.

Drink up 🍺🍹🍷🍸🍻🥂🥃🍾

Wow! Thanks for that information. Now I understand why we get attacked as we walk on to the ship.

We do the same. We will upgrade after making the rounds of the bars that we will be at the most and upgrade with the one that is the friendliest, and knows how to make a drink.

Just beware that sometimes when in a port before sail away you may be charged the local tax. Most will wait until the ship has cleared the port before making the charge. Don’t know how the other bars know as that sticker is only for reference. Having the sticker doesn’t do anything because it is what shows up on the register.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍷🍹🍻🍾🥃🥂

Wow !!! that's pretty harsh !!!

Wow !!! that's pretty harsh !!!

Might sound harsh but I don't think it's too far off the mark. I have a pretty decent wine education and can't believe some of the nonsense I've been told about a wine. They're really nice, but calling them a sommelier is a stretch.

Wine just like food very subjective. I drink what I like. I'm not going to drink red wine because I'm having beef. I dont care what the best sommelier tells me. I'm going to drink what I like.

Just beware that sometimes when in a port before sail away you may be charged the local tax. Most will wait until the ship has cleared the port before making the charge. Don’t know how the other bars know as that sticker is only for reference. Having the sticker doesn’t do anything because it is what shows up on the register.

We have always upgraded whilst still in Miami and NEVER been charged Florida State or City tax. Thanks Wine-O hope you are correct, will wait until in the MDR maybe we wil get better service.

We have always upgraded whilst still in Miami and NEVER been charged Florida State or City tax. Thanks Wine-O hope you are correct, will wait until in the MDR maybe we wil get better service.

That is because they waited. One time when I didn’t have a bev pack I purchased a bucket of beer. I was charged the local tax that basically wiped out any savings by purchasing a bucket.

Drink up 🍹🍺🍷🍸🥃🍾

That is because they waited. One time when I didn’t have a bev pack I purchased a bucket of beer. I was charged the local tax that basically wiped out any savings by purchasing a bucket.

Drink up 🍹🍺🍷🍸🥃🍾

I learned a little trick a couple of cruises ago -- if you don't have the beverage package and are enjoying drinks at sail away at the Sunset Bar, just ask the bartender to run you a tab. Then when the ship reaches international waters, tab out. No Florida State tax.

For most big ticket items, they will just take down your folio number and ring you up once the ship clears local waters.

I agree with the opinions about the lack of knowledge of some sommeliers. The head sommelier at a premium Italian wine tasting told me that the Chianti Classico wines are named after a village in Chianti named Classico. LOL Another one told me the Veneto region is in northwestern Italy. It's actually in northeastern Italy and when I mentioned this she insisted she was right.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app