Voom Surf & Stream for Five Devices?

jldev

Last year got 1 connection for 4 in 2 cabins.

This year got 2 connection for 2 cabins.

Each cabin was suppose to share - connection.

When we got to ship there was only one password for both connections. Kids in 2nd cabin hogged both.

It would have been better for each cabin to have own password and device to share, even though, would have been about $50 more for our 14 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I know for sure that my eldest would hog the Wi-Fi if they had to share as her phone may as well be surgically implanted to her hand! And, so as I don't want to have spend my holiday monitoring a Wi-Fi roster between them for two weeks, that's why I'm leaning towards getting them each a login.

Had a 17 and 23 sharing the connection for their cabin.

Each had to communicate when they wanted to get on, then other had to go to "logoff.com" for other to get on.

One was on it almost the whole time, other wanted to get on, but not as much.

Wish I had separate password for their room, so I didn't have to worry of one jumping on when I logged off for my husband to use it.

You'll probably have the same password for all 5 devices.

If anyone switches from iPhone to iPad or computer they need to know to log off from one device before switching to another device they use.

Had a 17 and 23 sharing the connection for their cabin.

Each had to communicate when they wanted to get on, then other had to go to "logoff.com" for other to get on.

One was on it almost the whole time, other wanted to get on, but not as much.

Wish I had separate password for their room, so I didn't have to worry of one jumping on when I logged off for my husband to use it.

You'll probably have the same password for all 5 devices.

If anyone switches from iPhone to iPad or computer they need to know to log off from one device before switching to another device they use.

Just seeking clarity. I bought the two device package so my husband and I can be online at the same time. Are you saying we would have the same password, and only one of could be online at the same time? I hope I am misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you bought a two device package, your husband and you can be on the same time, but the password is the same for both of you.

If you are not expecting to need to be on line at the same exact time,

You could buy a one device package and share that between the two of you.

You would just need to communicate with each other that one or the the other wants to go online.

You need to go to

"Logoff.com"

You are the logged of and the next person can log on using the password given to you when you board.

It is at first confusing, but we did share connection.

My husband told he was done and logged off, then I logged right back on,.

Normally I would wholeheartedly agree with you and, on our other cruises, I never before considered even buying ships internet. We'd just find some free Wi-fi on our port stops if we wanted and get some quick updates.

However this 14 night cruise has only 4 port days and all the rest are sea days. I have a business here at home that I need to keep an eye on so I must have internet on this cruise. I could possibly share with hubby.

It's our three teenage daughters in the adjacent cabin that are the main issue and, as much as I don't like to accept that being connected with their friends is a priority, realistically it is now the way that their generation lives. On a shorter cruise with more port stops, I'd certainly not consider getting them an internet package. And, IF they make new friends on this cruise, then they might not use the internet much and possibly sharing a login might work. But, if they don't make new friends and are stuck spending time with each other 24/7 for two weeks, that could be a recipe for disaster as they do need breaks from each other. And my worry is that arguments would then inevitably happen as they disagreed over whose turn it was to have the internet access. That, in turn, affects my husband's and my holiday! So I figure it's just best to give them each their own access on this particular cruise.

I sympathize with you. We had a 14, 16, 22, and 24yr old on one cruise with us and only had internet for one device for each room. We shared between 3 on sea days. This was with carnival. The internet package with surf only is currently offered on my sailing in 12 days. I purchased it about 3 months ago. I check frequently on my cruise planner for any sales. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I sympathize with you. We had a 14, 16, 22, and 24yr old on one cruise with us and only had internet for one device for each room. We shared between 3 on sea days. This was with carnival. The internet package with surf only is currently offered on my sailing in 12 days. I purchased it about 3 months ago. I check frequently on my cruise planner for any sales. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for your sympathy and, yes, with those ages you will know exactly what I mean ;p

Oh wow, that's fascinating to know those ways to get around buying for multiple devices. I told my husband, who works for a Telco company, and he's going to look into the Note 8. The Travel Router seems like a good option too.

Wifi sharing will work with your s8+ to. Though I forgot to mention the system won't allow you to enable the wifi hotspot when in airplane mode. I use a app called PDAnet that bypasses the system checks, and enables wifi sharing.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Wifi sharing will work with your s8+ to. Though I forgot to mention the system won't allow you to enable the wifi hotspot when in airplane mode. I use a app called PDAnet that bypasses the system checks, and enables wifi sharing.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks again. It's beyond my understanding but I'll let my husband know as he'll understand :)

If you bought a two device package, your husband and you can be on the same time, but the password is the same for both of you.

If you are not expecting to need to be on line at the same exact time,

You could buy a one device package and share that between the two of you.

You would just need to communicate with each other that one or the the other wants to go online.

You need to go to

"Logoff.com"

You are the logged of and the next person can log on using the password given to you when you board.

It is at first confusing, but we did share connection.

My husband told he was done and logged off, then I logged right back on,.

Thanks!

^ you could just fib to the kids and tell them only on login per cabin is allowed by the ship.

I LIKE that idea.

I would get one for my/SO for work and other needs. Then one or two for the kids and give them a life lesson in developing a plan for sharing and abiding by it.

Has anyone asked on board to split the log ins?

Also, you may not need to use Logoff. On Grandeur in Aug we shared a one device package. And if one person was using it, and the other person logged on, the newly logged on person grabbed the connection.

I LIKE that idea.

I would get one for my/SO for work and other needs. Then one or two for the kids and give them a life lesson in developing a plan for sharing and abiding by it.

Problem with this is that kids these days are pretty smart and might figure out that if they both just log in they'll have access and leave you without!!

Has anyone asked on board to split the log ins?

Also, you may not need to use Logoff. On Grandeur in Aug we shared a one device package. And if one person was using it, and the other person logged on, the newly logged on person grabbed the connection.

Just wanted to say that we did NOT have the same experience. My father, my husband, and I shared a 3-device package. My dad forgot to log off of his computer in his cabin so my husband logged off his phone to let my dad log on to HIS phone. Then we forgot to ask my dad to log back out and my husband was stuck without wifi for a bit until we could track my dad back down and remind him to log off one of the devices.

IF your children have multiple devices (a laptop, a tablet, a phone, etc for example) then you have to be very very clear with them, if you're sharing a multi-device package, that they NEED to go to logoff.com before signing in to another device. Otherwise you may be out around the ship and come to find out all your devices are used up as the kids forgot to sign off on one of them! (I'm guilty of this -- we get a 2-device package and sometimes I forget to sign off my laptop before I go out of the cabin!)

An alternative is to get them their own package to share (ie. 3 kids = 3 device package) and they'll get their own code to split between them. And then parents can either get a 2 device package, or a 1-device that they share together. It will obviously cost more than just getting a 5-device package but it does mean parents are unlikely to 'go without' at any point if the kids go device crazy. (I may be overthinking the issue but even with three grown adults we struggled a few times with one person 'hogging' the devices!)

... An alternative is to get them their own package to share (ie. 3 kids = 3 device package) and they'll get their own code to split between them. And then parents can either get a 2 device package, or a 1-device that they share together. It will obviously cost more than just getting a 5-device package but it does mean parents are unlikely to 'go without' at any point if the kids go device crazy. (I may be overthinking the issue but even with three grown adults we struggled a few times with one person 'hogging' the devices!)

I think this is a great idea for the OP's situation.

Just wanted to say that we did NOT have the same experience. My father, my husband, and I shared a 3-device package. My dad forgot to log off of his computer in his cabin so my husband logged off his phone to let my dad log on to HIS phone. Then we forgot to ask my dad to log back out and my husband was stuck without wifi for a bit until we could track my dad back down and remind him to log off one of the devices.

IF your children have multiple devices (a laptop, a tablet, a phone, etc for example) then you have to be very very clear with them, if you're sharing a multi-device package, that they NEED to go to logoff.com before signing in to another device. Otherwise you may be out around the ship and come to find out all your devices are used up as the kids forgot to sign off on one of them! (I'm guilty of this -- we get a 2-device package and sometimes I forget to sign off my laptop before I go out of the cabin!)

An alternative is to get them their own package to share (ie. 3 kids = 3 device package) and they'll get their own code to split between them. And then parents can either get a 2 device package, or a 1-device that they share together. It will obviously cost more than just getting a 5-device package but it does mean parents are unlikely to 'go without' at any point if the kids go device crazy. (I may be overthinking the issue but even with three grown adults we struggled a few times with one person 'hogging' the devices!)

Which ship? That is why I specified Grandeur, as this is how to worked on THAT ship in August. I expected to have to log off. But found that not to be true when my girlfriend stole the connection. :D

I was going to suggest the two package idea also. And even consider 2 for the three of them to share. And let THEM develop the sharing plan.

Does everyone need a connection all the time??????

We did a one device package and swapped who had the connection. Worked fine....

That's exactly what we did. Its pretty simple to log off one device and log another on. Unless you have a compelling need to have several connected simultaneously, there's no need to purchase more than one.

Which ship? That is why I specified Grandeur, as this is how to worked on THAT ship in August. I expected to have to log off. But found that not to be true when my girlfriend stole the connection. :D

I was going to suggest the two package idea also. And even consider 2 for the three of them to share. And let THEM develop the sharing plan.

We were on Vision, sister-ship to Grandeur. But we've been on Explorer and Allure in the past few years and they also required the logoff.com to free up the next connection. Occasionally, if a device hadn't been used in quite a while (several hours), then it would have 'timed out' but that was usually just the laptops, since phones are always sending/receiving data and keeping the connection active.