2020 World Cruise?

bob brown

Someone who is blogging privately from this year’s RTW mentioned the “2020 cruise hint” they got has the itinerary going to Africa, South America, and “over the top” to Russia amongst other ports. I’m intrigued by the last portion, but wondering what exactly that might mean. I’ll post more if/when I hear further. If my recollection is correct, we got the full itinerary preview very late March or right at the beginning of April on last year’s RTW.

Someone who is blogging privately from this year’s RTW mentioned the “2020 cruise hint” they got has the itinerary going to Africa, South America, and “over the top” to Russia amongst other ports. I’m intrigued by the last portion, but wondering what exactly that might mean. I’ll post more if/when I hear further. If my recollection is correct, we got the full itinerary preview very late March or right at the beginning of April on last year’s RTW.

I can see it going around both Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope, but can't figure out that 'over the top to Russia' reference....

the only thing I could figure from that would be through either the North West or North East Passage....seriously unlikely on the same cruise, and unlikely for Oceania anyway...unless they are planning something like Crystal did with the Serenity the last two years, or, are planning to purchase an expedition ship......:confused:

I can see it going around both Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope, but can't figure out that 'over the top to Russia' reference....

the only thing I could figure from that would be through either the North West or North East Passage....seriously unlikely on the same cruise, and unlikely for Oceania anyway...unless they are planning something like Crystal did with the Serenity the last two years, or, are planning to purchase an expedition ship......:confused:

Agreed ... I had the same dilemma about the over the top reference. I’ve asked the question of my friend to see if she has any other info, but will likely have to wait until the itinerary is announced officially.

how about 'over the top of russia' meaning Archangel and/or Murmansk? Except that doesn't fit in with the "even year" itineraries that avoid the Med/Europe.

"Odd year" itineraries would make sense if those ports were offered since Ireland is part of 2019 and it would be easy to add up the coast of Norway and 'over the top of Russia' but for 2021, not 2020.

Several of us that are interested in the 2021 itineraries have proposed Norway's coast, over to Iceland and Greenland .....we're ready for new ports to be added.

Mere supposition on my part....

how about 'over the top of russia' meaning Archangel and/or Murmansk? Except that doesn't fit in with the "even year" itineraries that avoid the Med/Europe.

"Odd year" itineraries would make sense if those ports were offered since Ireland is part of 2019 and it would be easy to add up the coast of Norway and 'over the top of Russia' but for 2021, not 2020.

Several of us that are interested in the 2021 itineraries have proposed Norway's coast, over to Iceland and Greenland .....we're ready for new ports to be added.

Mere supposition on my part....

Could be that’s what was meant by “over the top”. We’re doing an itinerary that does just that on Nautica next summer. Yes, the even year itineraries have been avoiding Europe, but then O needs to find ways to make all of their RTW’s attractive to repeaters by making changes to the ports called upon. So who knows ;-)

Actually impossible as Canada will not allow any more big ship cruises. Those two Crystal cruises were the last ones. You now have to be ice rated plus small enough if there is a ship emergency (like a fire) that it could be handled. Imagine having to evacuate 600+ people plus crew from the middle of nowhere.

One segment we were told be a port intensive Japan -- which might be of interest (as opposed to Azamara which we are booked now on).

Actually impossible as Canada will not allow any more big ship cruises. Those two Crystal cruises were the last ones. You now have to be ice rated plus small enough if there is a ship emergency (like a fire) that it could be handled. Imagine having to evacuate 600+ people plus crew from the middle of nowhere.

There will be those who disagree with me, but I’m actually happy to hear this ... even with an icebreaker nearby to assist, I thought it was crazy to go into those waters in anything other than an ice-rated ship.

There will be those who disagree with me, but I’m actually happy to hear this ... even with an icebreaker nearby to assist, I thought it was crazy to go into those waters in anything other than an ice-rated ship.

Well I for one, am very glad that I had the opportunity to enjoy that experience on a luxury liner, while it was available.....truly a cruise of a lifetime...:cool: