Sailing from Baltimore questions

Jota62

Hi everyone!

So I've been on 1 cruise in my entire life and that was to Alaska on Carnival a few years ago now. If work and life would allow it I would be cruising all the time. Seriously the one cruise and I'm hooked on wanting to do cruise vacations all the time now!

Anyway, so my work schedule is tough and I'm trying to budget and be better with saving so I was looking at sailings leaving from Baltimore. I live in Pittsburgh so it isn't a terrible drive and I can avoid the cost of the flight. Right now I was looking at a late April sailing. It looks like the ship is the Pride.

I have one cruise under my belt, but now as time passes I feel very novice. Are the sailings out of Baltimore good? Is it worth saving the cost of flight/hotel make up for leaving from some other ports? What sorts of excursions has anyone taken?

I'm sorry if a lot can be answered looking through trip reports, but I would just love some opinions in one place before I take the leap and book a cruise leaving from Baltimore.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in Greensburg right below Pittsburgh. We love cruising out of Baltimore on the pride we have done it numerous times in the past and we currently have a 14 day journey cruise for next November on the pride. I love the idea of not paying for airfare when I have a family for going. It’s nice just drive straight across in about 3 1/2 hours you’re there ready to get on the ship if it’s the winter months we do travel the night before and stay in a hotel close by which makes for not having to get up early and driving

I don't believe you are asking the correct questions. Are the sailings good? Well, the ship goes and returns to where it is supposed to. I would say that's good. The excursions depend on the itinerary and the ports. You didn't mention either.

I'm sorry I was vague, intentionally so I guess, because I'm looking into any of the sailings out of Baltimore. It looks like the 2 options are Bermuda or Eastern Caribbean. I guess I didn't realize that there were a lot more options from that port.

What I mean by asking more if leaving from Baltimore people have had good experiences because the longer days at sea, seems like the times in port is shorter, etc. But on the other hand, I wouldn't have to pay for a flight and during my only other cruise I had tons of fun on board.

Sorry to all that my post is so open and vague, I guess have the cruise bug as cold weather is here and writing off the top of my head and articulated poorly. I'll try and find some trip reports for the sailings.

We've sailed out of Baltimore a few times. The Pride is a wonderful Spirit class vessel----oldish but well maintained. We've parked at the terminal, stayed at a motel which transported us to the ship and back (cost about the same as parking at the dock) and last time we got a suite and brought our granddaughter. If you'd care to see a little about life on the Pride, just click on our "Cruise album" below. If you want to see a larger picture---click on it. Have a great cruise!

CRUISE ALBUM

Depending on your personality and your need to unwind, having sea says can be great. Sleep in late, have some brunch, read, play trivia games, hang by the pool, etc. You have to be the type of person that can truly relax.

I like adventure type excursions. I would suggest Segway/ATV tours, zip lining, or hiking trips.

We've cruised out of Baltimore three times on Pride. Two were the Grand Turk-HMC-Freeport itinerary and the latest was Bermuda in July. My Bermuda review is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522670. We are about 5 hours from Baltimore, so we drive part way the day before and finish the drive the day of cruise. Pride is a nice ship (if you've sailed the Alaska cruise on Carnival the ship's layout is pretty much the same) and both of the itineraries we've taken are great. I would hesitate at booking the itinerary that goes to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport but if the date and price worked for me I could make it work.

We have cruised three times on the Pride out of Baltimore and two more booked. We live in Ohio and it is a 12 hour drive but that means no flying. We have stayed at a hotel with a shuttle and also parked in the Cruise Baltimore lot. We prefer the lot. The Pride is an easy ship to navigate. We sailed one time on the Valor and it was a pain. Not user friendly. We have done the Canaveral/Freeport/Nassau itinerary twice, and Grand Turk/Half Moon Cay/Freeport once. We are booked for two that go Princess Cay/Freeport/Nassau. Our first cruise, we thought it would be our only one, we did everything. Dolphin Experience, Sea Lion experience to name a couple. We booked once for the Hilton Colonial on Nassau for beach time, but it was raining that day and we cancelled. Freeport has a little sort of "Straw Market" to shop but otherwise besides Senor Frog's there is nothing much near the port to walk to.

Hope that helps!

Here are my thoughts. We live in NE PA and Baltimore is only a three hour drive. It is my opinion cruising out of Baltimore is well worth it. First is no flights or airports to deal with. Second, the $105 parking rate is very reasonable for a week of parking right next to the ship. Third, we like the itineraries. We have been on the two most common itineraries Port Canaveral/Freeport/Nassau and Grand Turk/HMC/Freeport. We favor the Grand Turk itinerary. Forth, we love the Spirit class of ships, very easy floor plan. Fifth, Ken the MRD maitre d, he is great and treats us very well. I know he will be leaving soon to prep and sail with the Horizon until it arrives in the USA. Then he will be back on the Pride.

Here's how I see it ...

A 7 day cruise out of Baltimore is equal to the same itinerary on a 5 day cruise out of Cape Canaveral when you add in coming down a day (or 2) ahead of the cruise and leaving a day after. We live in NJ so the 3-3.5 hour drive to me is less than the (90 minute) drive out to Philly or Newark airport to check-in 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to the 2 hour flight to Orlando Airport, then dealing with the luggage carousel, and finally spending an hour to get to the port. To us, beyond the less travel time, when we factor in the cost of airport parking (or transport to), the flight, the shuttle/cab, hotel, and the cruise itself, Baltimore (including port parking) almost always wins out financially.

Pride only has certain foreign ports it can easily reach in a week long cruise; Nassau, Freeport, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay and Amber Cove, with some one offs for Bermuda, San Juan, and Amber Cove. So the only way we would travel to FL to cruise is if the itinerary has significantly different ports than those from Baltimore. Some do but most are out of Miami (higher airline prices) and usually a week long as well, but we would still need to go down the day before and stay over night after because rarely do the direct flights coincide well enough to make us feel comfortable flying the same day.

Two days at sea can be very relaxing or very active, it all depends on what you want to be involved with while on board. The cruise director and the entertainment director have enough planned that you can go non-stop, or you can choose to just lounge by the pool (enclosed during cold months) or find a quiet seat to just sit and read.

We live in Greensburg right below Pittsburgh. We love cruising out of Baltimore on the pride we have done it numerous times in the past and we currently have a 14 day journey cruise for next November on the pride. I love the idea of not paying for airfare when I have a family for going. It’s nice just drive straight across in about 3 1/2 hours you’re there ready to get on the ship if it’s the winter months we do travel the night before and stay in a hotel close by which makes for not having to get up early and driving

The wife and I are looking for a Journey cruise or B2B out of Baltimore or New York/New Jersey next year. If I had my druthers it would start in Florida or some place sunny, but my wife's mother and half brother live in New York. It looks like you folks like the Carnival Pride, so it must have an energy we'll enjoy.

We have sailed twice on the Pride in the last two years and love it. It's easy in and out of the terminal and no airfare.

The 2.0 upgrades are nice and like others have said the ship is easy to navigate. We have sailed out of Miami recently to experience different itineraries. The only downside of Baltimore vs. more southern ports are extra sea days but those can be fun too. We will not hesitate to sail out of Baltimore in the future. If your thinking about it, just go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by kupton

I think it depends on what you’re looking for. First- you’ve cruised Alaska already- that’s pretty impressive as far as cruises go. Some people can only dream of that itinerary. Typically they are longer trips as oppose to the 4/5 day that can be caught at many coasts. The Pride is a good class of ship. It isn’t the mega ship size but large enough to have variety. My reservations would come with the itineraries offered out of that port. The eastern Caribbean you mentioned really seems more like Bahamas plus to me. The distance you need to travel just to get to the Caribbean doesn’t allow you to get to the more desirable ports. That being said- half moon cay is very popular and loved by many. Many people feel as though the Bahamas ports are overdone as they are visited often by many. If you really enjoy time on the ship itself- I’d say, go for it. You’ll have a blast.

Hi everyone!

So I've been on 1 cruise in my entire life and that was to Alaska on Carnival a few years ago now. If work and life would allow it I would be cruising all the time. Seriously the one cruise and I'm hooked on wanting to do cruise vacations all the time now!

Anyway, so my work schedule is tough and I'm trying to budget and be better with saving so I was looking at sailings leaving from Baltimore. I live in Pittsburgh so it isn't a terrible drive and I can avoid the cost of the flight. Right now I was looking at a late April sailing. It looks like the ship is the Pride.

I have one cruise under my belt, but now as time passes I feel very novice. Are the sailings out of Baltimore good? Is it worth saving the cost of flight/hotel make up for leaving from some other ports? What sorts of excursions has anyone taken?

I'm sorry if a lot can be answered looking through trip reports, but I would just love some opinions in one place before I take the leap and book a cruise leaving from Baltimore.

Thanks!

We cruise out of Baltimore to the Caribbean in Winter ,By the first Sea Day I am wearing shorts.

We are taking both of those cruises back to back in April. We live 1 1/2 hours away in Virginia and this will be a LOT cheaper than driving or flying and hotels. Overnight stays are a must for us sailing out of Florida, and looking forward to just driving up same day for this. Since we're already booked I can see the excursions. Some Bermuda ones are already marked full - odd since it is so far off. None of them really looked exciting for us, but everyone has their own likes (lots of sailing and high prices). Grand Turk is incredible! They have amazing excursions, lots of variety, and an awesome public beach right at the port if you don't take an excursion. There was live Caribbean music at the port when we were there too - loved it. This will be my first time to the Bahamas so I can't give an opinion on it. Unfortunately I don't have insight on Baltimore's port because we have only sailed out of Florida and New Orleans other than to say I have driven by it many times and it looks a LOT less chaotic than other ports we've used, so we really look forward to sailing from there.

I would recommend sailing out of Baltimore for sure, cruise fares out of Baltimore are on the cheaper side, and then if you don't have to fly it's even cheaper. The Pride is always sailing out of Baltimore, it isn't the newest and biggest, but certainly isn't the oldest and smallest, it's more than adequate. Pride always runs 7 day cruises to the Eastern Caribbean and occasionally Bermuda. I would just be weary of booking from November through March, you will notice the rates are significantly cheaper then when compared to Spring/Summer months. Reason being is you will most likely be dealing with cold weather on the 1st, 2nd, and 7th day of your cruise. For some it doesn't matter, but if your the sun worshiper type this could be an issue.

I live in Md and have only cruised out of MD once. The Grand Turk or Bermuda itineraries are the most interesting. The 3 sea days were very relaxing. I would skip the pride in the winter because they only go to the Bahamas.

We live right in the middle of PA and have cruised from Baltimore. It's nice to drive to port, parking is relatively inexpensive (compared to say NY), many hotels offer free parking and shuttle deals, the bridges make it a fun first night and the Pride is a great ship. We went at the beginning of December and I loved having snow on the ground one day and warm, sunny weather on the next. You'll have a great time!

Hi,

We also live in Pittsburgh, and we sail out of Baltimore or Bayonne as much as possible. First, our parents are in their 70's (we like to cruise as a big family) and are just much more comfortable riding together then going through the hassle of the airport. They can also bring as much as they want and don't have to worry. That is true of us also. The fact that I can bring as much sun screen as I want and not have to worry about TSA tossing it out is really awesome!

Baltimore is easy to get to from Pitt and takes about 4.5 hours with stops and a realistic speed. We never take the Turnpike but usually head down 79 to 68 and across. It seems just a touch longer, but we will do anything to avoid the horrendous turnpike. We don't spend the night because we usually don't cruise in the winter months. March is generally safe, although as you know, we got some of our biggest snows here in PA in March.

Regarding ports, we cruise for the ocean and sometimes never get off the boat. We enjoy the Florida ports and Bermuda (we have gone to Bermuda 3 times on RC Grandeur from Baltimore). We do not get off the boat in the Bahamas... ever. Search the boards, the HRC or any other human rights related site and you will see why. Save your money and spend it on an island or in a port elsewhere.

So, I would say drive.. it is fun and an easy and very relaxed way to start your vacation. Coming home is also easy, and without the thought of missed or delayed flights... it is great.

One final thing, if you are saving on flights and feel you can spend some of that savings, I would recommend upgrading your cabin. On Carnival get a VISTA if you can on the Pride, and on RC get a junior suite or above. They are much better for having the family over for a few drinks before dinner .... or that random spontaneous balcony dance party!

Have fun and enjoy!

Ken

We've sailed out of Baltimore a few times. The Pride is a wonderful Spirit class vessel----oldish but well maintained. We've parked at the terminal, stayed at a motel which transported us to the ship and back (cost about the same as parking at the dock) and last time we got a suite and brought our granddaughter. If you'd care to see a little about life on the Pride, just click on our "Cruise album" below. If you want to see a larger picture---click on it. Have a great cruise!

CRUISE ALBUM

Thank you so much for sharing your photos! It looks like you had an amazing time!

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

The Baltimore port is very easy to access and less chaotic than New York City. The parking is cheaper and you unload your checked in luggage right in line while you are waiting to park. Walking inside is a breeze. The sea days are very nice as there are so many things to do or places to just relax. Leaving on a cruise to the Bahamas from Florida wouldn't be for me as they are much shorter, but are great for the people that just want a quick getaway. What I am saying is, I love those long sea days as I enjoy the cruising part of my vacation. Enjoy your cruise. 😀

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Forums mobile app

Sailed the Pride twice, once to HMC/Grand Turk/Nassau and the other time to Bermuda. Both cruises were great experiences ... Although I will say that the Bermuda cruise was just last month (September 2017) AND right in between the three hurricanes ... we made it safely to Bermuda but it was a rocky ride there and back!

Anyway, first the ship:

LOVE the Pride ... been on several other ships and Pride wins hands down. Great size, has Guys and Blue Iguana on Lido and never feels crowded. Service has been great both times as well.

Now the ports:

Bermuda is beautiful. One of the prettiest islands I have been on. Beaches are just breathtaking. If you are into just relaxing ... Bermuda is the place for you. However, besides that, not much to do on this island ... besides typical "beach" things and snorkeling, boating. Bermuda does not offer any "extreme" excursions. I'll also say that I love porting overnight, which is rare on a cruise. Nice to not have to worry about missing the ship on your first day! I also love the couple extra sea days you get with this itinerary ... so I would def do the Bermuda cruise again.

Half Moon Cay

Carnivals island. It's also gorgeous. However, it's a tender island and prolly about 15%-20% of the time you miss the port cause its too rough to tender, so just keep that in mind. provided you get on the island, it's great. Many excursions, all of which you do thru Carnival, since its their island. They serve lunch on the island which is "free" because it comes from the ship. This beach is paradise.... but very sunny, so if you want shade rent a clamshell.

Grand Turk

Hands down my favorite island to come on a cruise. You don't have to tender, and you walk right off the ship and you are at the beautiful beach with the bluest water you've ever seen. Lounge chairs lined up. There is also Margaritaville ... which has a huge (free) pool that people also hang out at all day. Plus there is the Flow-Rider surf simulator (The manager "Bishop" is very cool!!!). There are other things you can do, my favorite is to rent 4 wheelers and explore the island. They are $80 each and you dont need a "guide" they just let you go. Find one of the local restaurants ... Skip "Jacks shack" tho, it's over-rated ... instead take the 4 wheelers to Bohio Dive Resort and eat right on the beach. It's amazing and so is the food. Cant say enough great things about Grand Turk ... there are other things to do too. Lots of excursions.

Nassau

eeehhhh. Not impressed. It's claim to fame is Atlantis ... however, don't try that on a cruise. WAYYYYYY too expensive and you only get a few hours there and prolly wont get to go down all the slides ... so SKIP that. If you want great snorkelling, you gotta go to the other side of the island ... check out VIATOR.COM and look at the "Bahamas Snorkel Adventure" you get to snorkel above sharks and it's really cool. Other than that, Nassau really sucks. Stay where the people are, and you should be safe.

Freeport

This island is worse than Nassau. Just avoid it. If you come here you are better off staying on the ship.

So, if those ports sound good, sailing from Baltimore is a great option, especially on the Pride. You will get much more variety if you sail from Florida. Also, if you sail in the winter, keep in mind it will be COLD for embarkation, muster drill and most of the first sea day. Same goes coming back....so if you are escaping winter you get more "warm time" if you leave from FL. You also can get more exotic ports. Cozumel has the most excursions of any port. Its the #1 cruise port. Love that port.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Now the ports:

Bermuda is beautiful. One of the prettiest islands I have been on. Beaches are just breathtaking. If you are into just relaxing ... Bermuda is the place for you. However, besides that, not much to do on this island ... besides typical "beach" things and snorkeling, boating. Bermuda does not offer any "extreme" excursions. I'll also say that I love porting overnight, which is rare on a cruise. Nice to not have to worry about missing the ship on your first day! I also love the couple extra sea days you get with this itinerary ... so I would def do the Bermuda cruise again.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Just want to dispel the lack of "extreme" excursions on Bermuda. The island is roughly 26 miles long many first timers don't make it past the 11 miles from port to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Those that make it to the other end of the island can book excursion through Tom Moore for spelunking and blue hole swims. If not use to a strenuous hike through the wilderness but still want to visit a cave or 2, you have the guided tours of the Crystal/Fantasy caves. Or contact the on island stable for a 1/2 day horseback tour of the old railroad trail.

For history buffs there are over 90 forts to explore. For foodies walking taste tours in Hamilton and St George. For those into architecture cathedrals and neo-gothic churches. Politicos might enjoy spending a day watching Parliament or court in session. Angolphiles will drool over high tea at different resorts and hotels. For the kids (&kid at heart) there is the aquarium & zoo, or marine museum. Shoppers delight in the offerings in Hamilton and St George downtown areas. Watersport enthusiasts can rent jet ski, a Boston Whale, dive the extinct volcano, try their hand at deep water fishing.

I probably could go on forever but the key here is to look beyond what the ship and immediate port has to offer. Most ships are in port for 2.5 days, so it is real easy to explore on your own or arrange private tours to places not even mentioned by the ship.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Nov. 4th, 2018? We are from the Clarion area and will be on this cruise. We enjoy cruising out of Baltimore also. :)