Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Crisps, Jaffa Cakes and whisky on the thread today. Mysty's funny is very appropriate, I'll be 67 before I pay off my student loan :o

Lunch looks good Jeff. We're trying to cut down the excess and be a little more healthy, your lunch fits the bill perfectly.

Sorry that the funny was appropriate Isk! I too had to repay student loans back in the day. However at least the interest rate was fairly reasonable then. Did you enjoy Nova Scotia? When we were much younger Myster and I camped along the Cape Breton Highlands. Beautiful country!

Because it is Father's Day here and next door, another funny.....

35486029_1739369012776789_7085787463838334976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1f766c901cbc2c1b6c96649ab5d0acfc&oe=5BC42308

Jeff

Unfortunately we were also on this BoozeCruise and were also subject to the sales patter from UW people. We are totally disgusted that we weren’t advised about this large group onboard. It totally ruined our enjoyment of this cruise. Like you we have contacted Guest Relations since our return and haven’t even received an acknowledgement!!

Jeff

Unfortunately we were also on this BoozeCruise and were also subject to the sales patter from UW people. We are totally disgusted that we weren’t advised about this large group onboard. It totally ruined our enjoyment of this cruise. Like you we have contacted Guest Relations since our return and haven’t even received an acknowledgement!!

Thanks, can I say thanks for saying so. We will certainly keep in touch with respect to how this progresses. It's a real shame that we didn't meet whilst on board.

You may not have been following this thread. i hadn’t intended to post whilst on the cruise but as the terrible experience unfolded I kept a daily blog here. You may be interested to read how we found it. What I posted I feel doesn’t adequately capture what it was really like as I was trying really hard to keep my wife cheerful who was extremely upset by the whole experience.

We were unable to use the bars or see any of the shows. We found it impossible to find quiet spots around the ship and were distrubed all day and during the night with the noise. On many corridors suite doors were propped open so that the inter-suite parties could continue over a wider space and through the night fueled by the free booze available through the 24 hour room service.. It was one enormous boozy club for 220 extremely noisy and uncouth people.

I feel I can never adequately explain to others how dire it was.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

UW is Utility Warehouse which was the large group onboard. The Hotel Director said there were 206 of them but Jeff says it was 240.

They were onboard for being UWs top performers for free

Thank you for the explanation. That sounds terrible, and certainly not what a relaxing cruise should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The confirmed number from ships staff were 220 from UW and a further 47 from The New York Times making a total group bookings (assuming that there were no others we do not know about) of 267 out of a capacity of 370 passengers. But you need to understand that the 100 normal customers were normal and quiet and considerate to others but the 220 felt like it was more like a 1000 if you,get,my drift.

I was told specifically by several UW people that SS were anxious that UW ensured that they asked their agents (they were not employees so had no control or authority over them) that they didn’t tell other passengers about the size of their group booking, I presume to stop us complaining. How they thought they could conceal this number of noisy passengers beggars belief.

SS clearly believed that they needn't have warned us and given us the choice of proceeding or not, and that we might not notice once we boarded. When we boarded on the Thursday we couldn’t make sense of the full blown party of two hundred boozey people already started around the pool bar.

Lovely lamb Jeff. How long did you roast and is it butterflied?

Thanks

I deboned it and skewered it so that it was a thin joint. I like to overcook shoulder and it was spit roasted at a very high 240 or so for only around 35 minutes or so. It was extraordinarily nice in pitta with the crunchy salad. It was better than traditional kebabs.

I plan another in the next gew days.

Jeff

We also didn’t go to any of the shows because of the dispruptive and noisy behaviour from the UW group. We dined earlier in the MDR than we normally do so as to avoid the worst of the noise. One night a group were shining laser lights around the MDR causing waiters to cover their eyes to protect them. We also suffered noisy behaviour outside our suite in the early hours of the morning when most guests would have been more considerate.

I hadn’t heard that they were trying to blind the waiters. I don’t think we will ever know what the pooled experience of us all was like.

If you had spoken to some of the several of the senior staff then you would know that they have fed back what was happening on board and any decent ethical and reputable company who has the slightest amount of genuine concern for their customers or their reputation would have contacted customers pro-actively as soon as possible to at least apologise and then start the process,of agreeing suitable compensation.

The fact is that I have received no expression of regret about this, and not even an acknowledgement to my communications to them.

Thanks,

No, but you never know who might turn up here. ;) Early days.

For what it is worth I am really hoping that SS does the right thing and contact us within the next few days with an appropriate communication. However, in the event you/we receive no satisfactory contact from SS then we are more than happy to provide you with detailed corroborative statements if you wish to pursue it.

Do you feel the same way? In the event that is appropriate I’ll happily provide some contact details so that we can communicate more privately.

Today’s Sunday Clarkson for M .... I didn’t forget! ;)

See the ruins of a lost civilisation before the tourist hordes arrive . . . in Detroit

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-clarkson-see-the-ruins-of-a-lost-civilisation-before-the-tourist-hordes-arrive-in-detroit-fmr0mh60k?shareToken=18f191c8c4d8963696840c81035f6f55

And a funny!

4b5c53c0932c474d7716f7983b3afd69.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jeff,

For lamb details. You have inspired me to try it later this week.

Really wish you and Swindy the best of luck with compensation for your hellish cruise.

Thanks. :) Good luck with the lamb. I’m going to be adding it to some fruited bulgar couscous this week.

Today’s Sunday Clarkson for M .... I didn’t forget! ;)

See the ruins of a lost civilisation before the tourist hordes arrive . . . in Detroit

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-clarkson-see-the-ruins-of-a-lost-civilisation-before-the-tourist-hordes-arrive-in-detroit-fmr0mh60k?shareToken=18f191c8c4d8963696840c81035f6f55

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for remembering me J! I enjoyed this one! I grew up across the river from Detroit. I remember watching it burn in the riots of 1967. It was a scary time. And then over the years things got worse. Even tongue in cheek, Clarkson's piece has glimmers of hope! And the funny is funny! :)

Sakaara...so glad you liked the pink waterfalls! They are amazing aren't they. I hope I get to see them at some point. Will need to get the timing right obviously!