NCL Newbies Cruise the Dawn to Bermuda 10/20-27

Beachiekeen

The next morning, we woke up coming into Boston.

37974858906_2fd51ea699_b.jpg295 - Copy by Steph G, on Flickr

We had cereal at the buffet for breakfast. Since we did not have to be anywhere at any certain time, we decided to stay on the ship with our luggage until last call. We ended up getting off around 9:45. In one of the Dailies, I had read about a lounge on deck 9, which ended up being right by our room. I am not sure we would have known it was there otherwise. So we waited there with our luggage.

38062072852_4b41dc01fc_b.jpgIMG_8569 (002) by Steph G, on Flickr

We disembarked and walked out to a beautiful day in Boston. We stayed with my brother-in-law who lives in the Davis Square area of Somervile. We saw Tufts University, Harvard, MIT, and on Saturday we did almost the entire walk of the Freedom Trail which is a 2.5-mile-long path through downtown Boston that passes by 16 locations significant to the history of the United States.

I found a really great guide online which is what we used for the Freedom Trail. Hubby saved it as an iBook on his phone and used the interactive map to find each location.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/FreedomTrailMapPDF-FreeToursbyFoot.pdf

We ate a Turkish restaurant, a delicious sushi restaurant called Uni in the Eliot Hotel (outstanding), and a pizza place in Davis Square. We also went to Parker's Bar in the Omni Hotel and got Boston Cream Pie.

If you would like to view my pictures of Boston, they can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/107785563@N02/E1Cj16

Thanks for reading and I hope my review helped someone. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for posting your review! It was great and I loved all the pictures! A group of us will be sailing on the Dawn in May (long way to go) so I loved reading your review! I was excited to read that there was plenty of live music on board (fingers crossed that's still the case in May). You had mentioned in the beginning of your review about a lottery or something for the balcony cabin? I've never heard of that - what exactly did you have to do?

I hope you enjoyed your weekend in our beautiful City of Boston! I'm still a little upset that the Astros beat our Red Sox - but I'm really glad they ended up winning the World Series! Thank you again for posting your review!

In the thermal spa area in the coed area where the lap pool is, are there normal type poolside chairs?

There aren't pool lounger type chairs, just regular cushioned chairs that you can see in my picture. And then that is where the heated stone loungers are also.

Thank you so much for posting your review! It was great and I loved all the pictures! A group of us will be sailing on the Dawn in May (long way to go) so I loved reading your review! I was excited to read that there was plenty of live music on board (fingers crossed that's still the case in May). You had mentioned in the beginning of your review about a lottery or something for the balcony cabin? I've never heard of that - what exactly did you have to do?

I hope you enjoyed your weekend in our beautiful City of Boston! I'm still a little upset that the Astros beat our Red Sox - but I'm really glad they ended up winning the World Series! Thank you again for posting your review!

Norwegian has a bidding policy for upgrades where you can bid up to two cabin classes from your original room. So since we booked an inside, we were eligible to bid on an oceanview and balcony. There is a huge thread on the forum called "What was your upgrade and what did you bid" that has alot of information. If you get the chance to bid, you will receive an email titled "Let's get you upgraded" around 80-60 days from your cruise. We found out our bid was accepted 9 days before our cruise but I have read about people not finding out until 48 hours before. We only bid on the balcony since we didn't care about the OV room and it was accepted. We might have overbid slightly but we just bid what we thought it was worth to us.

Not everyone gets an email though--it's a little unclear the hows and whys behind who gets one and who doesn't.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Bermuda. My DH and I have been there 8 times on different ships. Bermuda is my very favorite place to visit. We actually took our family to Bermuda on the Dawn for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. We sailed with 14 kids and grandkids. It is a beautiful memory that we shared. Once you have been to Bermuda, you can help wanting to go back. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Bermuda. My DH and I have been there 8 times on different ships. Bermuda is my very favorite place to visit. We actually took our family to Bermuda on the Dawn for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. We sailed with 14 kids and grandkids. It is a beautiful memory that we shared. Once you have been to Bermuda, you can help wanting to go back. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Thank you. We really loved it. We are considering going back early next summer (May or June) on the Escape. Hubby is a little worried about it being too hot and I am worried about it being too cold! Would you recommend late May/early June?

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. My husband and I and two other couples are going in May on the Dawn next year. We will check out Warwick and Somerset beaches thanks to you!! I am also worried about it being chilly so I am looking forward to seeing the response regarding the weather in May.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. My husband and I and two other couples are going in May on the Dawn next year. We will check out Warwick and Somerset beaches thanks to you!! I am also worried about it being chilly so I am looking forward to seeing the response regarding the weather in May.

You are welcome, I really enjoyed writing it. I have read on Trip Advisor that most locals do not consider the water a swimmable temperature until after Memorial Day. But I was worried about October also and I thought it was pretty close to perfect. I think May is only slightly cooler in both air and water temperature.

Thank you. We really loved it. We are considering going back early next summer (May or June) on the Escape. Hubby is a little worried about it being too hot and I am worried about it being too cold! Would you recommend late May/early June?

We have been there mid May and early June and the weather is not too hot. The water on the other hand is still a little cooler but not unbearably cold.

I really loved the low crowds in October. But we have plans for fall next year so I would want to make Bermuda our (early) summer vacation. We will get back there at some point for sure!

We also really loved NCL. I've looked at the Holland America itinerary since you get more time in Bermuda but it just does not look as fun to me.

Thank you for sharing your amazing review and pictures of our favorite NCL ship. Bermuda is by far, the best cruise destination. We are booked on the two-week round trip Eastern Caribbean out of Boston next October.

Early June is a great time to visit Bermuda. The weather is usually comfortable------not too hot yet. Although we had some rain during our June 9th cruise, it was not too frequent. Also, many schools are still in session, so the ship is not overly crowded with kids.

The Dawn is like our home away from home.

Oh thank you! I wondered if anyone was even reading it. I didn't find alot of information on this cruise or the tour we did so I really wanted to provide it for others. ... .

I am definitely reading it and enjoying every word and photo.

Last year on our transatlantic crossing we were supposed to have a port day at Bermuda but the weather prevented it. I was really disappointed since I had never been to Bermuda.

Your review helps make up that miss.

Steph, Steve and I are already booked for May 18 again. I went this year May 26-June 2 and the weather was beautiful. He wouldn't let me go next year in June since it interferes with garden time. I hope it's warm. Would love to see you and Ben again. I do agree that we really lucked out with our October weather

Steph, Steve and I are already booked for May 18 again. I went this year May 26-June 2 and the weather was beautiful. He wouldn't let me go next year in June since it interferes with garden time. I hope it's warm. Would love to see you and Ben again. I do agree that we really lucked out with our October weather

Awww man, May 28 was the cruise I was looking at, although the sale was for one earlier in the month. I know, our weather could have hardly been any better! I just loved meeting you guys! :)

I am definitely reading it and enjoying every word and photo.

Last year on our transatlantic crossing we were supposed to have a port day at Bermuda but the weather prevented it. I was really disappointed since I had never been to Bermuda.

Your review helps make up that miss.

So glad you’re enjoying it! :)

We were in Bermuda the first week of June this year. The weather was warm and sunny but the water was too cold for us. Also the man of war jellyfish were everywhere. Won't do this cruise at this time again.

Yes I know they can be a problem and I do remember reading about them this year. Hubby thinks he might have seen one snorkeling! :o

It’s hard to know when to go! The good thing is I feel like I would want to do more walking around next trip so maybe the weather wouldn’t be as much of a factor.

I really wanted to try the Escape, out of NY, but am going with another couple. They wanted to leave out of Boston, so, May 18 is it

Yes we would like to try the Escape also. We love trying new ships. But we did really like the Dawn so you can hardly go wrong.

Great review! So happy to see that Richard was your CD; he's one of our very favorites. Hope he'll be onboard for our Dawn cruises in January.

Bermuda is an amazing place. So glad you enjoyed it. My husband still talks about the Frog & Onion! The mini-golf course nearby is also a must-do for us.